Cutting a 4070 to fit compact case, feedback?

MineJulRBX

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Apr 27, 2023
My case is 225 x 190 x 115 mm.
It has space to fit gpu 180mm length, height 130mm, 42mm thickness.
Currently it has a 3060 ti with 8gb GDDR6
I'm looking at the possibility of modifying the ZOTAC RTX 4070 Twin Edge.
It is 226 mm long, 123 mm height and 40mm thickness.
Screenshot taken from

So my initial thought is to just cut the graphic card at the end as much as I can. I don't even have to go all the way to the pcb.
My biggest issue however would be the heat pipes, preferably I wouldn't want to cut those. But there seems to be enough space to simply rotate and change the direction of the heat pipes. Can bend them a few mm if needed, but it doesn't seem like I have to.

Do anyone think this is a viable solution? Would there be any other 4070 that's easier to cut or can I expect a shorter 4070 to ever release?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
I feel that a better bet would be a PNY card, one of the brands that use the base design from Nvidia. It was popular to swap a 3060 cooler for a 3070, and it worked because they were the same PCB. Zotac tends to customize its PCB's (for the better, usually).

You can't rotate/change the direction of the heat pipes; the cooler is customized to fit on the card in exactly one orientation. I feel you MIGHT be able to net 5mm and get the Zotac card under 220mm in length with a de-shroud, but I wouldn't bother cutting into the heatsink. The 4060ti is rumored to launch next month.... just wait a while and I think we will have access to a compatible single-fan cooler.

Reactions: MineJulRBX

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Howdy. Looking at the pic in Zotac's website, it seems that you have a mm or two of the shroud you can cut.

1682646897711.png

THAT SAID.. I never fully trust renders or images from YouTube videos as they often are inaccurate (lens distortion etc).

To be safe, I suggest to use a smaller GPU, or wait until you can see a more accurate display of the Zotac 4070's dimension, or wait until someone do a similar mod.

Edit: or wait for a smaller 4070.

Last edited:

ME 262-A

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 25, 2023
I just fitted the Zotac 4070 into my COOJ mQ6 case. I had to remove the back plate because I didn’t want to cut metal, re-paste the chip, bend the fin stack to the side in the rear, and I trimmed about 10 mm off if the cooler shroud. It fits like a glove and runs awesome.

Now with that case, it was about 10mm too long. You would have to really trim it back. There is a heat piper directly behind the rear fins, so you would probably have to trim it carefully or rig another cooler on it. I’m going to make a post of what I did for reference soon.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I just fitted the Zotac 4070 into my COOJ mQ6 case. I had to remove the back plate because I didn’t want to cut metal, re-paste the chip, bend the fin stack to the side in the rear, and I trimmed about 10 mm off if the cooler shroud. It fits like a glove and runs awesome.

Now with that case, it was about 10mm too long. You would have to really trim it back. There is a heat piper directly behind the rear fins, so you would probably have to trim it carefully or rig another cooler on it. I’m going to make a post of what I did for reference soon.

Yes please, it would be great if you can post this mod log of yours! 👍

Reactions: scatterforce

Profix-25lO

Cable Smoosher
Jun 20, 2020
would love to redo the build with a 4080/4090 but i dont want to spend 1500€+ just to prove a point. Will probably fit the 4070 twin edge in this case

Last edited: