Funding CustomMOD Nano 1.6L (based on Asrock DeskMini GTX)

Choose best style of venting holes - https://imgur.com/a/3rpoc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My fear with that card is that Clevo I believe is one of the manufacturers who messes with the keying on these cards so that you can't just buy an MXM 3.0B card on the open market and plop it into one of their laptops for an upgrade. Planned obsolescence at its finest! If there is anyone who could clarify this, I'd appreciate it since that is a screaming deal

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Another source worth looking at:

http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=167

Their 1070 and 1080 prices are roughly in line with Aetina, but their 1060 is somehow 200 USD less. I've contacted them to ask about true MXM 3.0B compatibility. Additionally they will sell a heatsink and screws for an additional 75 bucks. I've also contacted a Canadian company called Eurocom which makes powerful laptops to see if they'll also sell direct to consumer on these cards.

Last edited:

Karamazovmm

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2016
My fear with that card is that Clevo I believe is one of the manufacturers who messes with the keying on these cards so that you can't just buy an MXM 3.0B card on the open market and plop it into one of their laptops for an upgrade. Planned obsolescence at its finest! If there is anyone who could clarify this, I'd appreciate it since that is a screaming deal

Their 1070 and 1080 prices are roughly in line with Aetina, but their 1060 is somehow 200 USD less. I've contacted them to ask about true MXM 3.0B compatibility. Additionally they will sell a heatsink and screws for an additional 75 bucks. I've also contacted a Canadian company called Eurocom which makes powerful laptops to see if they'll also sell direct to consumer on these cards.

Clevo is an ODM. And every single card that I saw posted in this thread is from either a reseller (rjtech aelina) or just a rebrand of clevo (euroco).

MXM is a format proposed by Nvidia and that is also adopted by high powered AMD designs (otherwise its soldered), that has to be followed by every company that uses it. There is no difference in the pinout or they Keying (apple did a version of it a few years ago in their iMac, however it was not considered MXM, given that the pinout was different).

What makes a card work or not in a notebook or anything that uses MXM for that matter, is basically if the bios accepts it.

In this case, just what was needed in for Sergiiaa 1060 to work, was a bios update letting it to be recognized by the system.

You can buy AW and MSI gpus, those are also MXM 3.0B, however they are usually more expensive.

So from what I gathered from the excellent support from Asrock is that, just buy whatever is the "cheapest" gpu that you can find, and the bios should handle it.

Notebookreview has usually very good forum, and in this case the clevo, aw and msi sections, should help people get a grip on the issues with MXM and they also have a marketplace there, where usually last gen cards are sold from people that just did an upgrade.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Sounds good. That 1060 for 489 USD is basically a steal compared to everything else. If I do end up ordering a board, I might just chance buying that 1060 in hopes that it works.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com

Good option, but it's too wide for my case.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That photo isn't the actual card. I'm pretty sure it'll be normal width.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Today I received true low profile CPU cooler. True because it is lower than memory :)

Temp is 54C. Gaming (Overwatch, CS:GO), delidded i7-7700, silent mode (the lowest possible rpm ~1500).

humand

Cable Smoosher
Apr 20, 2017
Apologies if I missed this, but is there any reason why a GTX 1070 cannot be used with this case? (if it physically fits)

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Apologies if I missed this, but is there any reason why a GTX 1070 cannot be used with this case? (if it physically fits)
You can use 1070 with this case, but you need better cooling.
I use 80x80x10 copper heat sink and 80x10 fan, temp is 69C under Overwatch. I think with 1070 it will be more then 80-85C, it's not good.
Now we are working on better cooling - 130x80x10 cooper heat sink and two 65x10 fans. I think this cooler can handle 1070.

Reactions: Soul_Est

humand

Cable Smoosher
Apr 20, 2017
Thanks for the info! If the 1070 cooling issue gets solved, count me as a buyer.
Even so, it's very tempting, but keeping in mind that zotac did it with the zbox magnus mini 1070, I am optimistic. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
When you finish the new heatsink/gpu cooler, what kind of testing will you do? Would love to see the temps under full load/ gaming load with all 3 m.2 drive slots filled.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
When you finish the new heatsink/gpu cooler, what kind of testing will you do? Would love to see the temps under full load/ gaming load with all 3 m.2 drive slots filled.
I think, at the end of May.
It will be stress tests and gaming tests.
I don't have 3 m.2 now :)