Funding CustomMOD Nano 1.6L (based on Asrock DeskMini GTX)

Choose best style of venting holes - https://imgur.com/a/3rpoc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
3. Aluminum is able to radiate the heat into the air better than copper because of its lower density.

Thermal radiation or convectivity doesn't have anything to do with material density. Radiation is based on emissivity, temperature, and view factor; convection is based on the temperature, thermal conductivity, geometry, Prandtl Number, and kinematic viscosity.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah the thing about aluminum being superior is something of a myth. While it might be superior at radiating heat (although based on my reading I don't think this is the case), its significantly lower conductance impairs any advantage that may convey. I think were that actually true then an aluminum plated copper heatsink would kind of be the holy grail, at least until graphene becomes available.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
Because 4 reasons:
1. Longitudinal ribs instead of transverse. Fan will work with all heatsink.
2. 15mm (18%) wider.
3. Aluminum is able to radiate the heat into the air better than copper because of its lower density.
4. More distance between the ribs. Better for low air flow.

1. The direction of fins doesn't matter if the fan is mounted on top of it. It may make a small difference in case temperatures, but I think longitudinal fins do not cool the GPU any better than traverse fins. If it does matter though, that's still not a reason to go with aluminium, since a copper heatsink can also be made with longitudinal fins.
2. Yes, the heatsink is 18% bigger, but you have 47 fins instead of 74, so you actually have less surface area. Also, the farther away from the heatsink, the less effective the heatsink is. This is especially true for worse thermal conductors. By changing from copper to aluminium, the heat spreads much worse and the heatsink will dissipate less heat.
3. Thermal radiation is negligible when it comes to active coolers. Thermal conduction is much more important than radiation.
4. With the kind of temperatures you were getting in open air, you probably shouldn't design the cooler for low airflow scenarios, since you'll need quite a bit of airflow to properly cool this card.

With all that said though, it will be interesting to see how much worse the aluminium heatsink performs.
In order to improve performance, you should switch back to copper and look into a fan shroud to make sure the air actually goes into the heatsink, rather than around it.
You could also look into heat pipes. These will spread the heat much better across the entire heatsink, greatly improving the efficiency of the ends of the heatsink.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Today I received aluminum heatsink for tests. Fin-to-fin air gap is larger, it's better for low flow.

I also plan to cut the base of the radiator, like this (bottom view):

Or like this:

Last edited:

humand

Cable Smoosher
Apr 20, 2017
Is there a backplate provided with the motherboard, or is the back part of the case fully exposed? (I don't remember seeing a picture that shows a backplate installed).
If Zotac Magnus was able to cool off a 1070 in their Magnus mini, I have hopes that the mod community can also achieve such feat.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Good news from Innodisk: "they also have VLP SODIMM, which shaves a bit off the height of standard SODIMM from 30mm to 25.4mm"
It's an opportunity for building 0.99L case!

Guys, what is the smallest CPU cooler for 1151? I found Akasa AK-CC7129EP01 (21mm), but want lower :)

Reactions: SeñorDonut

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I just have one question? Can the case somehow handle GTX 1080. It would of course need more cooling, but how to get that extra cooling?

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
I just have one question? Can the case somehow handle GTX 1080. It would of course need more cooling, but how to get that extra cooling?
It's easy :)
higher heatsink + higher fan + higher case (1.5-1.6L)

0.99L is just for fun and world record :) but we can make a bigger version

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
We planed to use custom 23mm gpu cooler. But it's too high for 0.99L, now we need ~15mm gpu cooler. And I think we found solution:

TDP = 55W, in silent mode temp under load = 59C, in medium mode temp under load = 54C.

TDP of our GPU is 78W. But our cooler will be a little better. Heatsink will be bigger, fun will be 85mm instead of 75mm. We expect the temp will be around 75C. It will be great for 1060 in 0.99L case.

I'll share results next Friday.