Funding CustomMOD Nano 1.6L (based on Asrock DeskMini GTX)

Choose best style of venting holes - https://imgur.com/a/3rpoc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Some update

1. We ordered Innodisk very low profile (VLP) SO-DIMM DDR4. 2x8Gb 2400MHz. Height is 1 inch (25.4mm).

2. 5 pin fan connector. It's crazy small. Look how it is smaller than standard 5 pin GPU connector.

We will try this 5 pin connector.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Some tests.

1. Cooper heatsink 80 x 130 x 12mm + 85mm fan. Total height is 24mm. RPM is 1200. Not noisy.

Results: 75C (closed case). Good, but too high for the new 1.0L case. Max height is about 16mm.

2. Aluminum heatsink 80 x 130 x 12mm + 75mm fan. Total height is 15mm. RPM is 1500. Not noisy.

Results: 87C (closed case). Too hot.

3. Alseye IO-SH15-65 (85 x 85 x 16mm). I changed the fan. RPM is 1500. Not noisy.

Results: 85C (closed case) on GPU. Too hot.
But this cooler is perfect for i7-6700T. Temps < 60C in games (Overwatch, Dota2, CS:GO, Quake Champions).

Next try - Alseye OP-SH200 (85 x 122 x 15mm). I ordered it today. Nominal TDP is 150W.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I wish to buy those super duper low-profile Alseye fans because they are under 20mm but they're hard to buy in my country :-/

Reactions: AleksandarK

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
=
5 pin fan connector. It's crazy small. Look how it is smaller than standard 5 pin GPU connector.

We found the solution. 5 pin connector on MB is nx1001-05pfs. We'll make adapter micro 5pin to 4pin this week.

And we need 2 screws (r=2mm, M2, length = 15mm and 30mm) for affixing Alseye IO-SH15-75S to GPU.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You should also make a 1L Mini STX case that takes an L9i (should be possible, right?). The only 2 available I know of are from ASRock and Silverstone and they are both unnecessarily large.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
You should also make a 1L Mini STX case that takes an L9i (should be possible, right?). The only 2 available I know of are from ASRock and Silverstone and they are both unnecessarily large.

Easy ;) Mini-STX with L9i will be 1.19L (144 x 151 x 55mm). And with Zalman CNPS2X - 0.98L (144 x 151 x 45mm).

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
You really like that Zalman cooler. :) Is it really the best sub-30mm cooler? The reviews for it aren't amazing.

Mini STX is 127x127, do you need more than 10mm of extra space in each dimension?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You really like that Zalman cooler. :) Is it really the best sub-30mm cooler? The reviews for it aren't amazing.

I think the Zalman is the best sub 30mm cooler because there really isn't any legitimate competition. Of the two 23mm Silverstones, I've owned the AR04 and wasn't super impressed with the quality or the performance. The NT07 may be better, but I kinda doubt it. As most people here will agree, the Thermaltake Engine 27 was kind of a bust. The Zalman kind of wins by default until something else comes along.

Reactions: QuantumBraced

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
What is the difference in height between the CPU and GPU? That is, if the same cooler is mounted on both, what would the difference in height be?

Would it be possible to 3D print a custom MXM mounting kit for Noctua? Then you can just mount an L9i on the GPU. Ideally you'd want something longer though.

What would really be awesome is a single shared huge cooler that covers the entire board with long heatpipes and dual fans. The CPU socket and GPU die will always be in the same location on Micro STX, so it would work for all CPUs and GPUs, and if you get a powerful CPU and a weaker GPU or vice versa, you'd benefit from the extra heatsink space.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
What is the difference in height between the CPU and GPU? That is, if the same cooler is mounted on both, what would the difference in height be?

Would it be possible to 3D print a custom MXM mounting kit for Noctua? Then you can just mount an L9i on the GPU. Ideally you'd want something longer though.

What would really be awesome is a single shared huge cooler that covers the entire board with long heatpipes and dual fans. The CPU socket and GPU die will always be in the same location on Micro STX, so it would work for all CPUs and GPUs, and if you get a powerful CPU and a weaker GPU or vice versa, you'd benefit from the extra heatsink space.

difference in height between the CPU and GPU is about 2.5mm (gpu is higher).

Interesting idea about l9i or shared huge cooler. We’ll make a research.