Stalled Custom_MOD MINI

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
That is beautiful. The picture with the power brick really puts things in perspective, so small!

Have you thought of a price yet?

Reactions: sergiiua

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
If I hadn't already backed the DAN A4, I'd be hard-pressed not to order one of these. Well done!

D_McG

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2016
Our new cable width is only 57mm in thickness 1.8mm
Rated current:
12V = 2.4A;

Sorry if this was already discussed, but that new riser cable is not rated for enough amps to use with a GPU. 2.4 amps @ 12 volts = 28.8 watts. The PCIe spec has a rating of 5.5 amps @ 12 volts for 66 watts (though it's listed as 75 watts when combined with 3.3v). I don't see how this cable could be viable long-term without melting; if the ratings are close to actual.

Reactions: yawacool

yawacool

Average Stuffer
Li-Heat
Feb 1, 2017
www.liheat.com.tw
Sorry if this was already discussed, but that new riser cable is not rated for enough amps to use with a GPU. 2.4 amps @ 12 volts = 28.8 watts. The PCIe spec has a rating of 5.5 amps @ 12 volts for 66 watts (though it's listed as 75 watts when combined with 3.3v). I don't see how this cable could be viable long-term without melting; if the ratings are close to actual.
Hello there:
This is a very interesting question, thank you,
Although my rated power
12V = 2.4A (AWG # 30 * 12); 3.3V = 1.4 + 0.4A; maximum support 35W TDP value,
Based on electrical safety considerations, no additional power outlet card, absolutely prohibited!
(1) TDP value, which is the heat value is not power
(2) In addition to no additional power outlet card,
There is currently no function card driver will be more than 35W TDP value,
Even if the TDP value of more than 300W graphics card,
So our products are safe
(3) in similar products, the current 12V = 2.4A, is already the highest,

Incidentally
3M cable 12V = 2A
3M is the lowest standard
If you buy 12V = 1A
The danger you mentioned will happen

Last edited:

yawacool

Average Stuffer
Li-Heat
Feb 1, 2017
www.liheat.com.tw

Theoretically
This technique it is unsafe

This is a case

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXZV2IA/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: D_McG

D_McG

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2016
Based on electrical safety considerations, no additional power outlet card, absolutely prohibited!
Essentially, this precludes running a GTX 1050 being powered solely through the riser cable.

This also precludes other cards like the AMD Radeon RX 480 which, even with newer drivers running in PCIe compatibility mode, draws 67 watts of 12v power from the motherboard; as measured at the bottom of this test https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...ion-Concerns-Fixed-1671-Driver/Power-Testing-

About Moddiy. I tested it here and hard used it during 2 weeks. No problems so far. Cable is cold all time.
Edit: GPU used with the Moddiy cable was a Zotac 1050 Ti Mini.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Hello there:
This is a very interesting question, thank you,
Although my rated power
(1) TDP value, which is the heat value is not power
(2) In addition to no additional power outlet card,
There is currently no function card driver will be more than 35W TDP value,
Even if the TDP value of more than 300W graphics card,
So our products are safe
(3) in similar products, the current 12V = 2.4A, is already the highest,

Incidentally
3M cable 12V = 2A
3M is the lowest standard
If you buy 12V = 1A
The danger you mentioned will happen

How is this limit enforced? My understanding is that the add-in-board will negotiate the amount of power it needs and is accepted or denied. If the cable is completely passive, is there a way for motherboards to distinguish if there is a riser cable in the middle? Does it have a way to validate power handling? And how do different cables set limits to different levels of power?

Reactions: Phuncz

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Good god, those are some pretty bad reviews of the Thermaltake cable. I expected better from a well known company than to source from the cheaply made $3 risers.

FWIW my Sintech cable works very well with a 1050 which draws all its power from the motherboard. Mine's only 5cm long, though.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
If the cable is completely passive, is there a way for motherboards to distinguish if there is a riser cable in the middle?
There is no way for motherboards to detect the presence or its intended current limit. If the card demands the full current, the motherboard grants it, and the riser is unable to handle it, the riser will fail.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
So how are any GPU's connected to risers operating within spec? They would, by default and necessity, be running up to 75W through the connector. (more in the case of early RX 480's)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
So how are any GPU's connected to risers operating within spec? They would, by default and necessity, be running up to 75W through the connector.
Because while all request the full 5.5A, few high-power GPUs really bother to draw the full amount. In combination, some risers may be conservatively specced.
If you're going and sticking some riser into a perfectly good signal path, it's your responsibility to ensure things stay within the riser's operating spec.

yawacool

Average Stuffer
Li-Heat
Feb 1, 2017
www.liheat.com.tw
Essentially, this precludes running a GTX 1050 being powered solely through the riser cable.

This also precludes other cards like the AMD Radeon RX 480 which, even with newer drivers running in PCIe compatibility mode, draws 67 watts of 12v power from the motherboard; as measured at the bottom of this test https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graph...ion-Concerns-Fixed-1671-Driver/Power-Testing-

Edit: GPU used with the Moddiy cable was a Zotac 1050 Ti Mini.

You are right
This kind of GPU
Do not use cables
For security considerations
Otherwise an accident occurs
It is necessary to bear their own

yawacool

Average Stuffer
Li-Heat
Feb 1, 2017
www.liheat.com.tw
How is this limit enforced? My understanding is that the add-in-board will negotiate the amount of power it needs and is accepted or denied. If the cable is completely passive, is there a way for motherboards to distinguish if there is a riser cable in the middle? Does it have a way to validate power handling? And how do different cables set limits to different levels of power?

As a supplier
This is the responsibility
Remind users

This work
Like the PSU
The input voltage must be indicated
It is AC-110V or AC-220V or wide voltage (94V ~ 240V)

like this