Power Supply Could I use an EVGA SC17 AC adapter with an HD Plex?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I was looking at EVGA's website, and noticed they sold the AC adapter normally included with the laptop on it's own. You can check it out here. If you look at the images, it is actually pretty tiny and much easier to fit into a backpack than a standard Alienware brick or Dell unit that most people use for their high power DC to ATX units.

The HD Plex 160w DC to ATX uses a 7.4 * 5 DC jack, I believe this unit has one as well, but I can't confirm. Seeing as it outputs a 19.5v wattage, would this be viable to use?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yes this would work perfectly with the HDPlex as it accepts 16-24V inputs. It's a really tidy looking little brick an the one I would choose if I didn't already have a Dell 330W.

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Is the connector the right size though? I know EVGA's laptop takes a barrel connector, but I'm not sure if it is 7.4.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Is the connector the right size though? I know EVGA's laptop takes a barrel connector, but I'm not sure if it is 7.4.

Theoretically, one could always get the right size connector. I don't know how hard to get a strange-sized one would be but the HDPLEX has a modular AC-IN cable.

Epsilon748

Efficiency Noob
Jul 17, 2018
Late to this thread, but I can confirm it will work in the reverse order. I've got the 300w EVGA adapter and it's 19.5v @15.4A. It's half the weight, half the thickness and a bit shorter than the Dell model. Coincidentally I picked up the Dell brick to power my HDPlex 400w for my new SFF build and just happened to check them today. I've been wanting a second EVGA 300w brick, but apparently they don't sell spares - just the 240w for the lower models.

If you only need the 240W though, it is 19V @ 12.6A