Power Supply HD Plex 160 AC-DC question

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

I've been through two of these units inside a week in my NFC Brickless Build. The first one that went, I just figured it was a faulty unit. I contacted Larry and he had a new one on the way inside an hour of my email (Kudos for amazing customer service BTW <3 Larry). Now that I've had a second one go, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Anyhow, I wondering if someone could comment they've had better success with this unit or if there is some form of user error on my end.

The unit is rated for 160W with a peak of 190W. Due to the desire for space savings, I've paired the unit with the Z4-ATX-200 from Pico Box rather than the HD Plex 160W DC-DC board. I am presently running an i3 4370 (54W TDP) and non-PEG version of the 950 (75W TDP). Apart from the motherboard there is nothing else running on this PSU.

When I've run a Kill-a-Watt, draw from the wall remains quite low, even under load (<140W). Furthermore I'm playing World of Warcraft which isn't exactly a demanding title. I've had each unit attached to the inner housing of the S4-Mini with 3M 8810 thermal tape to help with heat sinking, but my impression was that this unit was low enough wattage that this wasn't absolutely necessary anyhow. When the most recent unit went, it was warm to the touch but not excessively so from what I could tell (didn't hurt my fingers to touch and handle).

Can anyone help? I don't want to send another one units of these back to Larry if I'm doing something wrong, but I also don't want to pay for a product that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, that's concerning since I plan to run one at the full 160W. Like you said it doesn't seem to be a thermal problem, maybe the Pico Box?

I meant to do this testing earlier but those Hantek current probes I bought turned out to be not that great. So I have some hopefully better ones coming in Friday. Then I need to cobble together my wire harness and I can then do the power testing with the GTX 1060 and 6400T off my HDPLEX.

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I just finished speaking to Larry at HD Plex. Apparently there were some problems with version 1.0 that could have led to this. In version 2.0 he's separated the main circuit and PFC which should fix the issue. Also the first fifty units of 2.0 were hand made and may be easy to break. Larry immediately sent replacements for both units and acknowledged why there might be a problem. Again Kudos for awesome customer service. I'll be running one of the new 2.0 units when it gets here and will let you guys know if I run into any issues.

With respect to the Pico Box unit, I'm not sure how it would precipitate a failure of the ACDC, but it definitely doesn't feel like it's as high end a piece as the HD Plex products. If I have issues with one of the new and improved ACDC units, I'd next discontinue use of the Pico Box in favour of the HD Plex 160.

Saltvann

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2016
ilovelampshade: Have you been able to test the 2.0 unit yet?

Will the hdplex 160watt dc + ac/dc adapter both fin inside the S4 Mini?

Kmpkt

Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I haven't had a chance to test the 2.0 yet as life has been pretty hectic. The way I am getting the AC-DC into the S4 is by using a low profile GTX 950. Otherwise there is absolutely no way you're getting the AC-DC into the case. The DC-DC board fits very easily at a couple of different locations in the case.