CPU 500w external brick :)

mbrown278

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
Hi all,

I know that there are various DC-ATX PSU's with varying power but there hasn't been an affordable external brick that goes up to the full extent of some of them - the most I've seen is 330w Dell.

I posted this in a build thread but thought it could also be useful to see in the hardware section.

So for the build I am using an HDPLex 400W DC-ATX unit, and to save space/weight of the build (which is a bit like a laptop) I am going external power brick style. I have bought the HD Plex 400 AC-DC unit, and have placed it in an enclosure.

So the external brick is quite big, 255mm x 70mm x 49mm. So there is an additional .85 litres of size which is not being included in the case. Which is good when compared to the Dell 330w brick (at 223 x 155 x 76mm) which is 2.6 litres, and only 330w instead of 400w with 500w peak.

I still need to mount the AC-DC unit inside the enclosure, and make some rear venting holes, and I am waiting for a cable from the company which is a 6 pin to barrel which I will use from the brick to the laptop/portable desktop in some kind of sleeving to make it look more like an external brick.

Last edited:

mbrown278

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
I have now finished it - so both ends have the ventilation holes required for the HDPlex's internal fan to move air, and it is now secured inside etc etc. Not the neatest job but it'll do.

frostillicus

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 11, 2021
That looks great - where did you get that enclosure? Also, does your AC-DC brick have coil whine? I just got mine and its pretty loud.

mbrown278

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
I got it off ebay, but it is called a Hammond 1590BXBK enclosure. I had to file the screw thread housing slightly to allow the AC-DC unit to fit. In relation to coil whine - I hear absolutely nothing with it in the enclosure. I haven't really tested it that much outside of the enclosure but I can't remember hearing anything obvious. I can just about here the fan under heavy load when I put my ear near the enclosure, otherwise it is silent.

Hammond 1590BXBK Diecast Enclosure 254 x 70 x 49.5 Black

Reactions: Phuncz