Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

Corsair Johan

Chassis Packer
Corsair
Mar 28, 2016
www.corsair.com
The fan has not been upgraded, at least from what I read in the product webpage. It mentions going from standard 80mm to 92mm but the Gold version already uses 92mm fan. No mention of an improved fan speed profile.
The 3 'major' upgrades are 'From Gold to Platinum' and paracord individually sleeved cables and the ATX bracket.

Hmmm, I remember Corsair rep here once said that changing to such a set of upgraded cables would increase the cost of the PSU so much that Corsair will not do it. But now, it is done! The price increase is only from US$120 to US$140.

The fan is 92mm as on the gold version had too. However it is now a PWM-fan and the fan-controller has also changed to a programmed MCU that takes both temperature and load into consideration, as well as a delay.

@Corsair Johan Any information to share regarding the status of the SF600 Plat?

No information about that yet.

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
@Corsair Johan Is it the SAME fan that's on the Gold, just a PWM version of it, or an entirely new fan? Will the sound profile at same relative speed be identical to the Gold... i.e it will just spin up later and be idle (silent) for longer until it hits a certain power draw? Curious how this aspect will differ to the Gold, as the noise is one of its biggest complaints, hence why so many people have resorted to modding and changing the fan... which is hardly an ideal or desirable situation to be in. Is the idea behind the Platinum to eradicate this issue so no one feels the need to void their warranty and pull their PSU apart just to make it quieter?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
@Corsair Johan Is it the SAME fan that's on the Gold, just a PWM version of it, or an entirely new fan? Will the sound profile at same relative speed be identical to the Gold... i.e it will just spin up later and be idle (silent) for longer until it hits a certain power draw? Curious how this aspect will differ to the Gold, as the noise is one of its biggest complaints, hence why so many people have resorted to modding and changing the fan... which is hardly an ideal or desirable situation to be in. Is the idea behind the Platinum to eradicate this issue so no one feels the need to void their warranty and pull their PSU apart just to make it quieter?
I really think the noise and complaints of the gold are blown out of proportion. All I ever read about are conflicting opinions about how the fan never spins for some people and 'other people hate the noise it's so loud'

Especially if the new fan is controlled by power and temperature, and not just power, the noise should be a complete non issue

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I really think the noise and complaints of the gold are blown out of proportion. All I ever read about are conflicting opinions about how the fan never spins for some people and 'other people hate the noise it's so loud'

Especially if the new fan is controlled by power and temperature, and not just power, the noise should be a complete non issue

You may be right. I've never used the SF600, but have returned a couple of SFF PSU's as the idle noise really bothered me. If this doesn't spin up until certain load has been reached, I don't see any problems. Everyone has their own tolerance when it comes to noise though, plus it can also be very case dependent, and on what other components you have.

The delay on this is the biggest frustration. Scan in the UK is showing 31st October now. Not sure what the hold up is. :(

Reactions: Gautam

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I agree with you. I currently have both a SF600 and SF450 and both are so quiet I never hear them. I think it is one of those situations that only the people having issues post about it while all the ones with good units never say a word.

Reactions: TheHig

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I agree with you. I currently have both a SF600 and SF450 and both are so quiet I never hear them. I think it is one of those situations that only the people having issues post about it while all the ones with good units never say a word.
Also might be possible that different people have different standards for noise, and one person's "nearly silent" is another person's "annoyingly loud."

Reactions: TheHig

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
Also might be possible that different people have different standards for noise, and one person's "nearly silent" is another person's "annoyingly loud."

Very much so... plus sometimes just the frequency/tone of a noise can be really annoying, and it doesn't need to be anywhere near loud for thatt to be the case. We don't all hear alike, anymore than we taste things the same.

Reactions: TheHig and Gautam

Walderstorn

Average Stuffer
Apr 29, 2018
Nah it really is loud. I bought the SS SFXL to replace it and its also loud as f when i start gaming but still a tad better than the sf600. I have my pc 40 cm from me and the noise was making me crazy.

Reactions: Midiamp

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
Nah it really is loud. I bought the SS SFXL to replace it and its also loud as f when i start gaming but still a tad better than the sf600. I have my pc 40 cm from me and the noise was making me crazy.

Which Silverstone did you have? I tried the SST-SX650-G but found that too noisy with its 'always on' fan. I've not tried the SF600 Gold but have had my eye on the Platinum since it was announced, as it would appear more promising and does at least shut the fan off when idle.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I tried the SST-SX650-G but found that too noisy with its 'always on' fan.

When we reviewed the SX650-G, I was quit impressed with how quiet it was, even under load.
Many months later, I experienced an anomaly with it that caused it to shutdown under heavy load while powering a 1080ti.
I reported the issue to Silverstone and they were aware of it.
They kindly sent me a revised unit that didn't have the same problem... however.... the noise levels in the 2nd unit I received are little higher than my previous measurements.

The fan is the exact same but the two units sound nothing alike -I don't like the sound of the new one.
I switched it out for the 800STL and it's been inaudible -likely caused by the rev2.0 FDB fan :)

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
I second this, I'm still using the SF600 and the fan sound is clearly audible. I use Fractal Design Nano S, and I switched from ATX PSU (Corsair RM650x) to SF600. The fan spins at relatively low wattage use which I think is not because of the load, but simply because the PSU is heating up on itself (I live in the tropic, no A/C, ambient room temp is 28 degrees C). When I use the SF600 on my old Cougar QBX, it is the loudest component on the case, it's quite unbearable that I bought Nano S just to keep the sound in check. The issue with the SF600 and Cougar QBX is mostly attributed to the case design since the PSU exhaust path was blocked by an offset chassis railing.

Still I like the SF600, wishing Corsair goes SFX-L and ape Silverstone SX800.

Reactions: lawney

atomicus

Trash Compacter
Aug 7, 2018
I second this, I'm still using the SF600 and the fan sound is clearly audible. I use Fractal Design Nano S, and I switched from ATX PSU (Corsair RM650x) to SF600. The fan spins at relatively low wattage use which I think is not because of the load, but simply because the PSU is heating up on itself (I live in the tropic, no A/C, ambient room temp is 28 degrees C). When I use the SF600 on my old Cougar QBX, it is the loudest component on the case, it's quite unbearable that I bought Nano S just to keep the sound in check. The issue with the SF600 and Cougar QBX is mostly attributed to the case design since the PSU exhaust path was blocked by an offset chassis railing.

Still I like the SF600, wishing Corsair goes SFX-L and ape Silverstone SX800.

I've noticed it's a common complaint with the SF600, and not only that, it has resulted in countless people pulling apart their PSUs and voiding their warranty JUST to replace a fan! If that doesn't indicate there's an issue, I don't know what does lol! The only question is whether the Platinum version actually resolves this problem or not, and does enough such that people don't feel the need to take such drastic action again. We shall see, but I've not seen any evidence or claims yet that this will be the case. It might only be a marginal improvement.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
I just got my preorder for the SF600 Platinum canceled by Amazon. Seriously thinking about going with the older unit, but might hold out for another week or two.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
I just got my preorder for the SF600 Platinum canceled by Amazon. Seriously thinking about going with the older unit, but might hold out for another week or two.
Amazon US? I pre-ordered on Amazon UK and it's supposed to arrive between 8 Oct and 22 November.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
It was briefly available for sale on corsair.com a few hours ago. Looks like it’s back out of stock again, but I managed to squeak an order in while it was available, so we’ll see what happens.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
With all the issue with pre orders and cancellation of pre-order multiple times, I'd rather be safe and not be a ginuea pig on this first round of Platinum sfx PSU.
Just saying....

Reactions: Killinger