Power Supply SFF PSU

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Hello everyone,

In a previous post I Mentioned I was going to slowly put together my new PC, 1 part a month. After going around and around with what I wanted to build, and why, I decided to start with the Case. The SilverStone SG13 V2:

The Next purchase\decision is the PSU. The main contenders so far are:

SX700-PT

SF750

I wasn't so sure about getting the one from EVGA over the other two:
SuperNOVA 650 GM

I found some smaller PSUs but... maybe for an APU build...

Any other suggestions for myself or anyone else finding this thread before I make a final decision? Are their PICO PSUs that will support 600 Watts, or a power brick option, to help maximize the room to build with inside the case? I'm leaning toward the SilverStone just because of the SFF mounting bracket I had to purchase for the SG13 but have zero brand loyalty.

Looking for a quality 600+ watt, efficient, PSU.

Thank You!

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
In a previous post I Mentioned I was going to slowly put together my new PC, 1 part a month.
Seems like a terrible planning choice, by the time you've got everything the first part you've bought will either be obsolete or available for much cheaper than you paid for it just to store it on a shelf...

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Seems like a terrible planning choice, by the time you've got everything the first part you've bought will either be obsolete or available for much cheaper than you paid for it just to store it on a shelf...

Helpful... and mostly incorrect. But Thank you for your input.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
As much as I like Silverstone as a company, I find the Corsair SFX power supplies to be nicer. That is, quieter.

Reactions: ShamedGod

Rich Tea

Trash Compacter
Oct 4, 2019

Yeh, I agree.
Also not getting everything at the same times means that you won't be able to test components when they arrive, e.g if something is dead on arrival and but you don't know, and it's been sitting on your shelf for 3 months, then you don't have the option to return it to the retailer for immediate refund and have to make a warranty claim. Also you are basically shortening your warranty by how ever long it's sitting on your shelf.

On topic, the SF750 is the best so when it's available then just go for that. Best cables and 0 rpm mode.

Reactions: Kilrah

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I would add that if you're going for the Corsair, you can save some money and just get the 600w Platinum. I can't think of any use cases that need 750w in an ITX setup.

Reactions: Kilrah

jhautz

Caliper Novice
Jan 30, 2018
Just chiming in here with some personal experience on the Silverstone and Corsair SFX PSUs. I have had the SF750 for a good 6 months now and I just finished a 2nd build yesterday with the SX700-PT . (I wanted another SF750 or SF600 but I couldn't find one anywhere right now) I can tell you without a doubt, the Corsair is the nicer unit. Looks and feels more premium, much nicer cables, zero fan at low loads, etc. Dont get me wrong, the SX700 seems to be a pretty decent unit as well, its just the details that matter. My biggest complaint is the lack of a zero fan mode on it. For my particular use case (PC will be sitting on the shelf below the living room TV and about 8-10ft away from where I will be sitting when using it) the small fan noise it makes is not an issue, and when gaming on it, the GPU and CPU fans drown it out so much that I will never even notice it. But If I had them in a PC sitting on my desk only a few feet away I would want the Corsair for the zero fan mode and true silent operation under light/medium loads. Also, the nicer sleeved cables on the corsair are just easier to work with in a small case in my opinion. And one additional small niggle I have is the ugly blue connectors on the PCIE power cables and the back of the SX700-PT for the graphics card. In my stealthy "blacked out" build, the blue just jumps out at me as the only thing with any real color. Again, not a big deal, but the kind of details that make me prefer the corsair.

For similar pricing get the Corsair.