Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
.... I will buy the NH-L9i just to get the better 2500RPM A9x14 and do the mod on mine.

Is the difference between the NF-A9x14 fan (bundled with NH-L9i ) and a standalone version is the max rpm?
The former is 2500 rpm and the latter is 2200rpm. Correct?

If this is the only difference, would it be significant enough to affect the SF600's performance in any real sense?

Baal

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2018
Is the difference between the NF-A9x14 fan (bundled with NH-L9i ) and a standalone version is the max rpm?

If this is the only difference, would it be significant enough to affect the SF600's performance in any real sense?

Yes the RPM is one of the differences. The reason why I would choose the 2500RPM Version is first: I read multiple times that it has an lower starting voltage and because of that the fan start problem is not as significant like with the default 2200RPM Version.
And second: It is to cool the SF600 better. There is of course a reason why the stock fan spins at about maybe 4000 RPM. And while an Noctua Fan is definitely more efficient than an basic OEM Corsair one, I think to use the weaker standard A9x14 is just wrong and underpowered.

Reactions: Soul_Est

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018

The rpm is one difference, but the significant one is the lower amps it needs to start spinning, therefore it's even more quiet and doesn't have the annoying clicking sound when the fan tries to spin up and down.

As for voiding the warranty, I have had excellent experience (and by far the best all around compared to other companies) with Corsair in the past and I am sure if I ever need it (which I doubt) it will be fine (just take care to keep that tiny sticker intact when unbolting the power supply's cover and you're fine with no trace of it ever been opened).

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
When you get yours, would you mind first using the stock fan for some time before changing the fan? I mean, do not mod it right away.
It would be nice to learn by first hand experience of how the stock fan operates (eg how silent, at what wattage would it begin to spin up...etc).
Looking at the interior pic of the Gold version (in Jonnyguru's review), it has a 2-pin fan header (vs a 4-pin header in the Platinum version). And it is a 2-wire fan in the Gold vs a 3-wire fan in the Platinum. So, the fan, technically speaking, is not exactly unchanged.

Well, I look forward to your report when your unit arrives.

Will definitely do that and report back. In fact I hope I won't have have to mod it hopefully. The current gold version i have with the mod though is dead silent even at full load.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
SF600 Platinum looks a good development. I feel a little irritated having bought an original SF600 about 3 weeks ago...
If I had known it was on the way, would I have waited and been happy with the extra cost??
Too late, and I now have one of the best SFX PSUs out, end of.

Reactions: BrotherStein

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
When are these new psu going to be available?

In Europe they are already listed on Amazon for preorder. I am really interested in the new SF600...the old gold version was already a nice unit but the fan-profile was rather aggressive. Happy to see this polishment of niche products. :)

By the way: During the official announcement at Computex by Corsair they are saying the SF gold was running its fan at DC and with the SF platinum they switch the fan to PWM. That explains why we are seeing the 4-pin header.

Keep us updated! :)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It seems SF600 Gold was out of stock for a long time in several locations (as reported by some members here). Locally, it was not available from December last year to April. Then, it came back on stock in early May. Since then, I have seen it available in all my local stores.

I expect, SF600 Platinum will be available when this current stock of SF600 Gold runs out. If the SF600 Platinum is available now, I think no one will buy the SF600 Gold and the current inventory will have to be returned. So, both Corsair and retail channels want to clear out this 'final' batch of SF600 Gold.
The fact that SF600 Gold was restocked in May might mean that Corsair is not ready to release a huge supply of SF600 Plantium. Or else, the shortage of SF600 will continue from May onward to now and Corsair will release a huge supply of SF600 Platinum right after Computex. But it appears it is not happening. So, right now, factories are busy manufacturing piles of SF600 Platinum while SF600 Gold are being cleared out. My guess, a period of 3-4 month?

BTW, I now have a new SF600 Gold, as the benefit of Father's Day! I will not do the building until Q4 though. Hopefully, by that time, 8-core '8700K' will be released. And, I just read that Asus is going to release eight Z390 based motherboards, which include the m-ITX Z390-I Gaming. (https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-to-introduce-rog-maximus-xi-series-for-z390-chipset)

Last edited:

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
The SFFN team will be visiting Corsair later today, but I swung by their suite yesterday and can confirm the following:
  • The fan is the same, they have only modified the profile of the curve (so a wider fanless range and less aggressive ramp-up from there)
  • The unit is functionally identical, save for nicer sleeved cables and a 10-year warranty (alongside the Platinum rating)
  • The inside of the unit looks like this:

Does the fan use a standard 4 pin?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
any info on the release date yet?
Scan, a large UK PC online store, lists the availablity on mid July. If this is an indication, it should come soon.
I bet local stores are trying to clear their inventory. The sooner it gets cleared, the sooner it will start selling.

teamet

Chassis Packer
Mar 17, 2018
The corsair engineer sound pretty convincing in the fact that this is a new power supply and not just rebatch. He confirms the unit will produce less heat than the gold.

Also, he confirms the fan is PWM controlled!

The platinum will be marketed as and addition to the gold version (though it seems odd to have identical names if they'll market both simultaneously)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
The platinum will be marketed as and addition to the gold version (though it seems odd to have identical names if they'll market both simultaneously)

Even though the guy did say the Platinum series will be in addition to the Gold series, I suspect this is just a 'sales' or 'marketing' ploy. Surely, there will be an 'overlapping' time frame during which both Gold and Platinum series are on available. But, I think this only happens as long as the last batch of the Gold series last. As soon as the Gold series run out of stock, it will no longer be available. I emphasize, this is my speculation only.

If both series are available, I bet most people will buy the Platinum, despite the minor price difference.
So, if one needs a PSU urgently, get the Gold, which itself is a good PSU.
But, if you can wait a month or so, the Platinum will be the one to get.
(BTW, I read that it will be called SF450/600 v.2, with the Gold series being v.1)