Cooling with HDD cage in V6

Daily Special

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Hi all,
I'm hoping to get a discussion going on how to adequately cool two 3.5 hard drives in V6. Would a 92 mm exhaust be sufficient? or would it be better to change my CPU cooler from a top down (ex: Wraith Prism) to a tower (ex: Noctua U9S). Maybe do both? My thinking on the first option is that getting any exhaust would help, but I'm not sure how much it would help. I'm targeting operating temps under 50 C (is this a realistic target?)

I've looked around the forum and seen a lot of data comparing these two approaches without a HDD cage but haven't found any threads that specifically tackle this situation. I'm new to sff (love the NCASE) and am interested in this community's input.

Cheers

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Would you be so kind to tell us your hardware? There's a big difference in heat between a non-gaming pc or gtx 1660 vs a full blown ryzen 9 3900x and rtx 2080ti.

Daily Special

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Sure thing

I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700x with a Pulse 5700 XT. The drives in the cage are a pair of WD Reds. Any ideas on how I should go about cooling the drives?

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Sure thing

I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700x with a Pulse 5700 XT. The drives in the cage are a pair of WD Reds. Any ideas on how I should go about cooling the drives?
Really hard to say what would keep the drives the coolest? Does that really matter for a hdd drive? I have the ryzen 7 3700x and strix rx 5700xt, which stay both quite cool. Check my post for more details on the temps in the comment under the pictures.
For drives temps, again does a few degrees matter in the drives(?), the best way (theoretically speakink) a u9s with 2 92mm noctua fans as exhaust would be the best. This would suck the air bit through the drives to the cpu cooler. But again, I think the best to keep the drives cool is to get your other hardware the coolest: u9s with 2 92mm fans and 2 a12x25 noctua fans as intake on the bottom.
Can you fit a noctua c14s with 2 drives in place? This is the best solution to keep the 3700x the coolest.

Daily Special

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 3, 2019
Really hard to say what would keep the drives the coolest? Does that really matter for a hdd drive? I have the ryzen 7 3700x and strix rx 5700xt, which stay both quite cool. Check my post for more details on the temps in the comment under the pictures.
For drives temps, again does a few degrees matter in the drives(?), the best way (theoretically speakink) a u9s with 2 92mm noctua fans as exhaust would be the best. This would suck the air bit through the drives to the cpu cooler. But again, I think the best to keep the drives cool is to get your other hardware the coolest: u9s with 2 92mm fans and 2 a12x25 noctua fans as intake on the bottom.
Can you fit a noctua c14s with 2 drives in place? This is the best solution to keep the 3700x the coolest.

I think high temps on a HDD will affect longevity. WD's datasheet recommends operating temps under 60 C and for long gaming sessions the drives can hit 65 C (which worries me quite a bit).

Your idea of using the u9s with an additional 92 mm fan is a good one. I'm wondering if anyone would share data on what the HDD temps are with that setup.

Nice work on your setup! The cable management is awesome. Based on your post, I don't think it would be possible to fit a c14s with the HDD cage (there wouldn't be enough space for the cage given the orientation of the PSU) :(

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I think high temps on a HDD will affect longevity. WD's datasheet recommends operating temps under 60 C and for long gaming sessions the drives can hit 65 C (which worries me quite a bit).

Your idea of using the u9s with an additional 92 mm fan is a good one. I'm wondering if anyone would share data on what the HDD temps are with that setup.

Nice work on your setup! The cable management is awesome. Based on your post, I don't think it would be possible to fit a c14s with the HDD cage (there wouldn't be enough space for the cage given the orientation of the PSU) :(
I think so too that the c14s wouldn't fit. Just get the best cooling solution and true different fan orientations. If that doesn't work, just live with it or get a nas or something. Drives are kinda robust if you don't drop them at least. 5 degrees isnt that critical, otherwise get a sata drive and/or a NAS for your storage. Even a separate hdd storage case would be great of you don't mind the extra space it would take and connect it to a longer cable under the desk.