Ncase M1 - Air Cooling Fan Configuration

Niomar

Case Bender
Original poster
Jul 22, 2019
Greetings all,

I'm planning to order an Ncase M1 v6 case once available and am wondering on what the optimal fan configuration is for air cooling. The CPU will be a Ryzen 7 3700X and I plan to use the stock Wraith Prism cooler. The GPU will be a Radeon RX 5700 (reference, blower style). I may try out the auto overclocking features, but do not plan to really push the system.

I've read a few suggestions from various websites, but I'm not sure if they still apply when using the stock CPU cooler and a blower style GPU. I believe most recommend 3 120mm fans. I've seen references to putting 2 of those on the bottom as intake (does that still apply when they sit below a blower style GPU?) and a third fan on the side, also as intake. I know the goal is for positive pressure, but does it not need an exhaust fan? For the 2 fans on the bottom, are regular width (25mm) fine or do I need slim fans (15mm)?

From what I can tell, the case comes with 2 120mm fan filters. If I do end up going with 3 intake fans, I assume I should order a third fan filter?

Thanks!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Case has 2 x 240mm filters 1 for the side bracket and 1 for the bottom, with the version 6 bottom filter is now magnetic. 25mm fans fit under the GPU as long as it is 2 slot. You could put an exhaust fan on the back but it really isn't needed unless you have a tower cooler exhausting that way, with positve pressure this case moves a lot of air out of the top panel. You only really need a fan below the intake on the blower GPU, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you have a rear mounted M.2 SSD having a heatsink on it and a fan below the motherboard works great at cooling. I would install at least 1 fan on the right side fan bracket and if you have room above the stock cooler I would put one there too.

Reactions: Niomar