Help with first ever SFF Build, NCase M1 V6 Air-cooled

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Hi Was wondering if its still possible to place a 120mm slim fan as intake over the side panel against the C14s?
I have read almost every forum I could om ncase builds to make up the best possible build. Here someone discussed about the Aorus x570 and c14s. Best option is to go x470 or b450 or go an other cooler of you want x570.
As mentioned above: the v6 includes holes to mount the psu more to the right in other to make room for certain builds, like the c14s. If you want stock position, you need 120mm fan brackets from noctua which they give for free if you show your c14s ticket. But just move the psu.
For builds, search Google for "c14s ncase m1". Like this or this. Some builds have the c14, which is discontinued, but can fit 12x25 fans top.
A slim fan on top won't make any difference, at most 2 degrees on full 100% load? I read some tests about it, but noice increases and temps don't go down that much.
Fans on the side don't help that much. Best is 2 fans on the bottom and maybe one in the back. But the 90mm on the back only helps for 4 degrees at most too. So try your system at first before buying more fans.

Reactions: hshot_rooke

titan253

Cable Smoosher
Sep 3, 2019
Hi @titan253
You were able to put a C14S in your NCase M1? I currently have a C12 in my M1 with a 4790k, but I'm upgrading to a 3800x and don't want to hassle pulling the cooler off and was debating between the U9S and a 240 AIO.

I heard you can't fit the C14S in the M1 without some light modification. Did you have to mod yours? And if so, what did you have to do and how difficult was it?

I was just going back to old posts and the C14 and C12 are the best air coolers for the M1 from way back when I bought my M1 v2 from when it was originating from HardForum.

I'm not running the C14s anymore, i went with an EVGA AIO. However, no modification is necessary to run a C14s on an Aorus X570 board but you will need to email Noctua to get a special bracket kit that will rotate the cooler 90 degrees. This is because the cpu socket on that specific board sits closer to the top edge than most motherboards making the c14s extend above the top panel mounting rails for the M1. As far as i know the Aorus itx is the only x570 board with this issue so ultimately it'll just depend on the board you end up using.

Also, you'll have to run your sfx psu in the atx position (with an atx to sfx bracket) in order to clear the bottom 140mm fan on the c14s but doing so may impede your setup in other areas (like if you use the 3.5" drive bays)

titan253

Cable Smoosher
Sep 3, 2019
I have read almost every forum I could om ncase builds to make up the best possible build. Here someone discussed about the Aorus x570 and c14s. Best option is to go x470 or b450 or go an other cooler of you want x570.

No need to go with another cooler, Noctua will send you a free kit to rotate the cooler 90 degrees so that it'll fit. As far as i know this is only a concern with the Aorus itx board, the other x570s have sockets closer to the middle so stock position doesn't extend past the top panel.

hshot_rooke

Cable Smoosher
Sep 13, 2019
I'm not running the C14s anymore, i went with an EVGA AIO. However, no modification is necessary to run a C14s on an Aorus X570 board but you will need to email Noctua to get a special bracket kit that will rotate the cooler 90 degrees. This is because the cpu socket on that specific board sits closer to the top edge than most motherboards making the c14s extend above the top panel mounting rails for the M1. As far as i know the Aorus itx is the only x570 board with this issue so ultimately it'll just depend on the board you end up using.

Also, you'll have to run your sfx psu in the atx position (with an atx to sfx bracket) in order to clear the bottom 140mm fan on the c14s but doing so may impede your setup in other areas (like if you use the 3.5" drive bays)
Thanks for the info @titan253 and @Soulforger90 Much appreciated.

I just went through my pc parts bin and found the SFX to ATX bracket that came with my Silverstone SX600-G. Hopefully my M1 v2 has the correct mounts so I can turn it so that the C14S will fit. I'm crossing my fingers....

hshot_rooke

Cable Smoosher
Sep 13, 2019
Looks so Goodwill! Could you please List the componentes of your build? Thanks a lot!

Hey @caracarlos build list is below. I don't have any other fans inside the case as I'm running the PC inside a cabinet with the side panel off and am running 4 external fans inside the closet cabinet.

CPU: AMD 3800x
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3200
MOBO: ASUS Strix x570-i
SSD: 500gb Samsung 840 EVO
HD: 1TB WD Blue

caracarlos

Cable Smoosher
Jul 24, 2019
Hey @caracarlos build list is below. I don't have any other fans inside the case as I'm running the PC inside a cabinet with the side panel off and am running 4 external fans inside the closet cabinet.

CPU: AMD 3800x
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3200
MOBO: ASUS Strix x570-i
SSD: 500gb Samsung 840 EVO
HD: 1TB WD Blue
Thanks a lot!!

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Hi all. Finally got around to building today and once everything was done the PC wouldn’t turn on or boot. Trying to troubleshoot but so far no luck. The RGB lighting on the motherboard will turn on once the PSU switch is flipped however I am unable to get the system to boot up at all. Tried to jump the front panel connectors without any success too. I realize that I used the wrong motherboard screws so I replaced those and check the standoffs. Still no success. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do next? One thought is that the motherboard is dead but the RGB lighting still turns on

Reactions: HyperActive

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
Hi all. Finally got around to building today and once everything was done the PC wouldn’t turn on or boot. Trying to troubleshoot but so far no luck. The RGB lighting on the motherboard will turn on once the PSU switch is flipped however I am unable to get the system to boot up at all. Tried to jump the front panel connectors without any success too. I realize that I used the wrong motherboard screws so I replaced those and check the standoffs. Still no success. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do next? One thought is that the motherboard is dead but the RGB lighting still turns on

Out of curiosity, did you test the system outside the case first? If so, I assume it booted up then?. Are all the PSU cables plugged in tightly? What are you system specs, motherboard, ram, etc.?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
This was the only time I didnt test my system outside of the case.

Specs are:

Ryzen 3700X
600W Corsair platinum PSU
2080ti EVGA GPU
16gb teamforce prodark cl14 3200 mhz ram
asus rog strix x570-i mobo

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
When you press the power button do all the case/cpu fans spin up? If so, does the LED go from red / white / green, or does it stop on a specific color? I'm going on the premise that the x570-i gaming is the same as the b450-i gaming for it's LED indicators.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
When you press the power button do all the case/cpu fans spin up? If so, does the LED go from red / white / green, or does it stop on a specific color? I'm going on the premise that the x570-i gaming is the same as the b450-i gaming for it's LED indicators.
I does have that feature. None of the case/cpu fans spin once I press the button. I've also tried to short the front panel pins on the mobo with a screwdriver but without any success.

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
I know this is all common sense, but I would do the following troubleshooting since it sounds like the board is getting power because the LEDs come on.
- Make sure the PSU connectors are all seated / plugged in. 24-pin, 8-pin (board doesn't boot without it), and both 8-pin PCIE Video card cables.
- Make sure the graphics card is seated.
- Use the stock PSU cables that came with the PSU (if you're using custom cables)
- If you're using a mix of SATA / NVMe M.2 drives, make sure you remove the sata M.2 and only use the NVMe one in slot 1.
- If you're using the extra front header plug that comes with the board (that makes it easier to plug the front plugs into) make sure they are all connected correcly or maybe remove that and try them connected straight to the board.
- reseat your Ram
- remove the graphics card and see if it at least boots up to the fans spinning and stopping at the white led indicator (vga).

If none of those things work, or you've tried them already, I would honestly give it one last go and remove everything from the case, tear it all apart, and start over. Start with the CPU / CPU cooler and 1 stick of ram (no video card yet). Just to see if it boots up. If so it will stop at the white LED indicator (VGA) since you have no card in it. Hopefully you can get to that point.

It could be something shorting out the board. When my GTX 980 died it shorted my whole computer, but once removed and replaced my system booted just fine. Worst case is you just have a bad board.

You could just tear it all down and return it if you don't want to go through all that troubleshooting.

Reactions: lawtsai

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
All the tips are given, but it's probably the board. Had an asus b450i and updated bios through the amd bootkit. Pc bootlooped with 3700x inside. Thought it was the cpu or some firmware thing. Bought the exact same board and booted just fine after bios update. Just order a new board if it's within the return period.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
All the tips are given, but it's probably the board. Had an asus b450i and updated bios through the amd bootkit. Pc bootlooped with 3700x inside. Thought it was the cpu or some firmware thing. Bought the exact same board and booted just fine after bios update. Just order a new board if it's within the return period.

Thank you guys for the responses. Would you say it is still the board even though the LEDS come on? The only issue is that I cant get things to boot and have the cpu/case fans spin.

Soulforger90

Trash Compacter
Sep 30, 2019
For me, my issue with my B450-i gaming is that when I powered on the computer, the fans would spin up on the cooler and the machine would go through it's boot cycle. I would see the LED on the motherboard go from Red (CPU), White (VGA) to Green, then shut off. Now when the LED cycles through and then shuts off you should see the ASUS logo on your screen. But mine would just repeat the LED sequence.

I returned the board, bought another one off of Reddit (same board) and it did the EXACT same thing.

The issue:
Even though the manual says that you can have a SATA M.2 drive in slot 1 paired with an NVMe drive in slot 2, you can't. When I got the second board and that happened, I replaced the sata M.2 in slot 1 with an NVMe drive and it booted.

So if you're using a sata M.2 in slot 1 with an NVMe m.2 in slot 2, that is probably your issue. But since it's a X570 board I would have thought that ASUS would have fixed that.

I Agree with HyperActive though, save yourself the time and aggravation and just chalk it up to a bad board and return it if it's within the return window. If it's passed the window, but you ordered it from Amazon they might still accept it (but not give you a full refund).

Reactions: lawtsai

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
For me, my issue with my B450-i gaming is that when I powered on the computer, the fans would spin up on the cooler and the machine would go through it's boot cycle. I would see the LED on the motherboard go from Red (CPU), White (VGA) to Green, then shut off. Now when the LED cycles through and then shuts off you should see the ASUS logo on your screen. But mine would just repeat the LED sequence.

I returned the board, bought another one off of Reddit (same board) and it did the EXACT same thing.

The issue:
Even though the manual says that you can have a SATA M.2 drive in slot 1 paired with an NVMe drive in slot 2, you can't. When I got the second board and that happened, I replaced the sata M.2 in slot 1 with an NVMe drive and it booted.

So if you're using a sata M.2 in slot 1 with an NVMe m.2 in slot 2, that is probably your issue. But since it's a X570 board I would have thought that ASUS would have fixed that.

I Agree with HyperActive though, save yourself the time and aggravation and just chalk it up to a bad board and return it if it's within the return window. If it's passed the window, but you ordered it from Amazon they might still accept it (but not give you a full refund).
Sounds good. I went ahead and requested a replacement from Amazon. Only issue is since the mobo is relatively new, a replacement likely won't arrive until December-January :(.

In the meantime I will try to tinker around and see what's going on. It's possible that during the process of cable management I could have knocked the PSU connections loose or something.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Let me know if you find the issue.

After removing everything and putting it on a breadbox, barebones testing yielded the same thing - RGB lighting comes on but I still couldn't short the front i/o pins to turn the PC on. I even removed the NVME, RAM, separately and at one point only the cpu and cooler were installed. Still no luck .

I am assuming this might just be a MOBO issue? I am looking around for a paperclip to test my PSU. Beyond that, I am out of ideas