Production CONSOLE and CONSWOLE: entry level 2-slot and 3-slot console cases! [Available Now!]

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
I think the Conswole will be my next PC case. Now i have to find the best cooler for it. (I can't edit here, can I?)

Let me share some comparison values for coolers:
1. Cryorig C1 performs like, NH-L12s (stock fans, Top or bottom mounted)
--> This is a bit sad for the bigger C1. Which it could fit an 25mm fan. However, since i heard of the "push down" mod for the L12s, where you mount to fans on it in the CL530, this is a little win for the Noctua in my eyes.

2. Black Ridge (with NF-A12x15 & NF-A9) performs like or maybe even a bit better than NH-L12s (with stock fan, different orientations).
--> This is a little win for the Black Ridge, since both the NH-12s (push mod, 2 fans) and the Black Ridge (NF-A12x25 in this case) can be further optimized.

3. I have no such information for the IS-60. Best test i could find is this one:
--> It compares the very bad stock Black Ridge with the IS-60. It's not the EVO and the stock BR can be improved by way more than 20K in certain cases (see test above).

We neeeed more information. However, the C1 seems to be out, unless it can be optimized (pushed down like L12s, maybe?).

Reactions: Sahaj

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
IS60 evo received here.
Finally I’ll wait for my CL530 to test it versus IS-60.

Right now I’m busy to find best setup for my RTX3090 FE inside Cerberus-X. This card is generating tons of heat...not so easy to tame

Last edited:

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Just ordered the CL530. It is said to take about a month or two to deliver. Guess i have some time for finding the right cooler now. :)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
One thing came to my mind today. The Black Ridge is designed with the DAN A4 in mind: There the mainboard is mounted 180° on the backside of the case.

Thing is, there is one mounting direction that heat pipe do not like, with the bended side on top:

Due to the heavily asymmetrical layout of the BR (bottom plate is not in the centre of the cooler), it seems the only direction it can be mounted in the Conswole is the wrong one. Dammit...

Is it possible to mount the IS 60 Evo with the heatpipe bended side downwards?

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
May i introduce: The ID-Cooling IS-74 Evo NonARGB Noctua Edition

It fits into this case just by the millimeter. Actually, you have to remove the brown edge covers/dampeners on top of the NF-A12x25. Otherwise it touches the metal cover which leads to low noise vibrations.
IS-60 Evo standard height is 64 mm. So 74 without the edge covers and about 75-76 with them.

I also can compare it to the NH-L12s:
Size:

Weight comparison with high-end scale:

L12s verdict:
While the L12s is a very good cooler for sure, i'm not impressed by it in the conswole. It's cooling performance lacks a bit due to the 15mm fan. I also can't attach a 25 mm fan, since it doesn't fit on top or below (which was known before).
I planned to modify it by pressing it up or down. Yet there still wasnt enough clearance, although i use my Ballistix 3600 without the heatspreader. There is technically just enough clearance (5mm above and below), but you cant press it down enough, since the elastic part pushes it back up a bit. I think it would always touch the metal cover, anyhow.
Also keep in mind there is not much clearance in this case between heatpipes and case with the MSI B550i board. The 15mm fan was the loudest out of the NF-A12x25 on the graphics card and the Corsair SF450 fan. Basic installation was a breeze though.
--> Recommended for the cheap and easy installation

IS-60 Evo verdict:
I didn't even touch the provided fans, other than for deinstallation. So i switched to an NF-A12x25 and an A9x14. And this is what makes this cooler great (again?). Temperatures with the same setting, that hovered around maximum temperatures of 90 °C ,dropped to around 81 °C. While generating less noise.
Yet you should also use the Noctua NM-AM4 L9aL9i installation kit. You only need the backplate and the longer backplate screws out of it. Otherwise you install the cooler directly to the motherboard screw holes, which may introduce some bend effects. It will work though if guess. Don't know of longtime effects. The kit is only 8 € here. Installation still wont be as easy as the L12s. Link to the installation kit: Amazon-link
--> IS-"74" recommended for the high-end case with some struggle during installation. The cooler is cheaper, but with the added fans & installation kit it ends up being more expensive.

And a picture of the system with the L12S

Get the handle and attach the case to the back of your desk. So you won't even see it. Perfect!

Last edited:

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
May i introduce: The ID-Cooling IS-74 Evo NonARGB Noctua Edition

It fits into this case just by the millimeter. Actually, you have to remove the brown edge covers/dampeners on top of the NF-A12x25. Otherwise it touches the metal cover which leads to low noise vibrations.
IS-60 Evo standard height is 64 mm. So 74 without the edge covers and about 75-76 with them.

I also can compare it to the NH-L12s:
Size:

Weight comparison with high-end scale:

L12s verdict:
While the L12s is a very good cooler for sure, i'm not impressed by it in the conswole. It's cooling performance lacks a bit due to the 15mm fan. I also can't attach a 25 mm fan, since it doesn't fit on top or below (which was known before).
I planned to modify it by pressing it up or down. Yet there still wasnt enough clearance, although i use my Ballistix 3600 without the heatspreader. There is technically just enough clearance (5mm above and below), but you cant press it down enough, since the elastic part pushes it back up a bit. I think it would always touch the metal cover, anyhow.
Also keep in mind there is not much clearance in this case between heatpipes and case with the MSI B550i board. The 15mm fan was the loudest out of the NF-A12x25 on the graphics card and the Corsair SF450 fan. Basic installation was a breeze though.
--> Recommended for the cheap and easy installation

IS-60 Evo verdict:
I didn't even touch the provided fans, other than for deinstallation. So i switched to an NF-A12x25 and an A9x14. And this is what makes this cooler great (again?). Temperatures with the same setting, that hovered around maximum temperatures of 90 °C ,dropped to around 81 °C. While generating less noise.
Yet you should also use the Noctua NM-AM4 L9aL9i installation kit. You only need the backplate and the longer backplate screws out of it. Otherwise you install the cooler directly to the motherboard screw holes, which may introduce some bend effects. It will work though if guess. Don't know of longtime effects. The kit is only 8 € here. Installation still wont be as easy as the L12s. Link to the installation kit: Amazon-link
--> IS-"74" recommended for the high-end case with some struggle during installation. The cooler is cheaper, but with the added fans & installation kit it ends up being more expensive.

And a picture of the system with the L12S

Get the handle and attach the case to the back of your desk. So you won't even see it. Perfect!

Lovely write up. I went the same route, just with the Alpenföhn Blackridge instead, complete with a A12x25 and a chromaxx A9x14. It's a really solid solution and it makes for quite a capable, very compact cooler. I used the regular Noctua L12 before, and I really prefer the Blackridge.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Currently exploring moving my SG05 build into either the CL520 or CL530 at some point.

Some questions:
1. Does anyone have experience using either of these as a portable computer? I noticed you can get a handle for the case which is a big plus. How heavy is the case with everything in it?
2. Any plans to upgrade the case with a PCIE 4.0 riser? Does anyone know any good third party solutions as of writing?

ezerez

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2021
Currently exploring moving my SG05 build into either the CL520 or CL530 at some point.

Some questions:
1. Does anyone have experience using either of these as a portable computer? I noticed you can get a handle for the case which is a big plus. How heavy is the case with everything in it?
2. Any plans to upgrade the case with a PCIE 4.0 riser? Does anyone know any good third party solutions as of writing?

To your second question
I have been using https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id...2400295_36218700225&spm=1101.1101.N.N.e2dd673 for a couple of weeks and its been working great.

ezerez

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2021
@ezerez - Are you using the CL520 or CL530? Also did you need to make any modifications to install it?
I have a CL530, no need to mod it. You have to just see where you place it exactly. The holes are elongated to support more positions I guess. so you need to see where you put it. I also took a shorter one. The link I send you says 20cm, but im not sure if I ordered 20 or 21.5cm, I cannot find that information anymore. The original one is 25cm but has a lot of slack.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Teduh

Chassis Packer
Nov 21, 2019
Has anyone compared how much of difference the 2 120mm rear exhaust makes compared to no exhaust fans and one exhaust for the 530?

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Howdy peeps,

I think I may have discovered a small problem with the CONSOLE case.
I'm building a HTPC based on it, and using the following parts:

Ryzen 5600X
GeForce 3080 FE

GIGABYTE X570SI AORUS PRO AX

Whenever I run this setup with the provided riser I get graphical instability and system often crashes.
The instability is so bad that it even takes 1-2 mins to get into the bios at times.
Other times it gets into windows slowly and then crashes when I run a benchmark.
After some extensive testing with other motherboards, and GPU's I've found that the included riser is the issue.
The moment I go into the bios and select Gen3 for PCIe16x, everything is fine.
If I auto select or set it to Gen4 the instability comes back.

Just wondering what other people's experience has been like with this and what riser was included with your console case ?
Mine is ADT.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
It says in the product description that the case ships with a PCIe 3.0 riser so yours is acting exactly like it should. There is very minimal difference in performance between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0. You can either leave your motherboard set to gen 3 or upgrade your riser.

Reactions: Talyrius and LukeD

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yep it does say that on the spec sheet. Didn't think to look it up. Good to know though.
Yeah not worried about the performance difference but it was more of a hassle trying to troubleshoot what's wrong.
It would be good if they put a sticker on the riser cable to say "Dont forget to set your PCIeX16 to GEN3 in your bios for correct operation"

Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yep it does say that on the spec sheet. Didn't think to look it up. Good to know though.
Yeah not worried about the performance difference but it was more of a hassle trying to troubleshoot what's wrong.
It would be good if they put a sticker on the riser cable to say "Dont forget to set your PCIeX16 to GEN3 in your bios for correct operation"
This issue of riser compatibility between Gen 4 MB/GPU is common, and i hope well known too.
At least you were able to enter bios (even if it was really long). Generally simple fix is to plug gpu directly in MB (outside the case) and update bios accordingly.
However I found this bug way too annoying in case of bios update. (pretty regular on modern platform on either AMD/Intel)

At last, some rare bug even occurs while using same gen riser.

As far as I remembered there won't be Gen 4 riser for actual sliger console version.

Reactions: riba2233 and LukeD