Stalled Compact 24L water cooling oriented ATX case

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
You need to build a Xeon-D FreeNAS server for your bulk storage like everyone else... Then you don't need 3.5in HDDs in your main PC =)

Reactions: Phuncz

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
2 things I would love to expand the case (in addition to the above hardware) would be:
4x 3.5" HDD support instead of my current setup of 2 different sized HDDs (I am thinking 4x 12TB Seagates).
changing the pump volute to an EK XRES 100 REVO D5.

The rest of the hardware would be same. @Necere Is this possible in the dimensions of the proposed M5? (I really wish it is, because I would hate to go for another conventional larger case just to fit the hard drives and reservoir...)
Possibly, but the M5 concept as shown in this thread is unlikely to see the light of day, so it's a bit moot.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
> Googeling around for the perfect ATX case
> stumble upon this thread
> It's canceled
> Registering to whine about it.

Unfortunately he makes lots of great concepts and that's it. They don't ever move on to the next phase of creation. It's a huge bummer, because I've liked most of his designs.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Unfortunately he makes lots of great concepts and that's it. They don't ever move on to the next phase of creation. It's a huge bummer, because I've liked most of his designs.
Not never... But frequently as an artist one gets bored of their own work. Plus a pretty box is really nothing without an actual, fleshed out and to-spec interior. So, yeah. A lot doesn't make it past ideation.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I know, and I kind of feel bad about that. These threads were started with the best of intentions, but so often there's some roadblock(s) I run into in trying to take it from concept to real product that I just can't work around. I hate the thought that I'm leading people on though, so that's partly why I started a thread specifically for concepts, and explicitly labeled it as such. I don't intend to start any new threads for a particular case design until I can be reasonably certain it's going into production.

Not never... But frequently as an artist one gets bored of their own work. Plus a pretty box is really nothing without an actual, fleshed out and to-spec interior. So, yeah. A lot doesn't make it past ideation.
It's less boredom as it is running into walls and getting frustrated. I do get excited about showing a new concept, but that's probably not the best idea when the concept is the easy part; the hard part is buckling down and pushing through all the engineering work that needs to be done. This is where I run into problems, as invariably there are problems that don't have good solutions, and when there are enough of these that I can't work around in a way I'm satisfied with, I end up going back to the drawing board.

This particular concept had a few problems, but one that doesn't directly relate to the design or engineering is simply the massive cost to ship a case this size. Even the smaller cases (e.g., M1 or A4) cost a lot to ship, on top of already being quite expensive to manufacture. I really can't feel good about a case that's $250-$300, where the shipping alone is a third of that.