Stalled Compact 24L water cooling oriented ATX case

DatFrenchGuy

Case Bender
Aug 16, 2017
Hey there, NCase owner here.

As others have done before me, I created an account just to tell you that I am extremely supportive of this project as it would really enable us to have more cooling headroom for high-end components than in the NCase.

IMO, if you release such a case, not only will you draw many NCase customers like me who'll want to buy the case for the compactness, build quality and WC potential, but you will also address many more enthusiasts who do not even consider ITX for the lack of cooling headroom this form factor compel us into (and lack of RAM slots, PCIe and the likes...).

Really appreciative of your work, I have owned several cases and none has ever lived up to the quality and design of your product. I really hope I’ll be able to buy this project one day.

Cheers from France!

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
You obviously did not read all of my recent posting above, outlining the limitations of current SFX-L PSUs in regards to ThreadRipper / Vega builds...

Most recent ATX motherboards have 2 or 3 M.2 slots, so no need for PCIe SSDs...

And the vast majority of ATX motherboard users really do not have more than one GPU installed, two at most (SLI or CrossFireX), with the remaining PCIe slots sitting empty...

And, by design, the chassis, if used for water cooling with a 240mm radiator up top, precludes the use of the last few slots on the motherboard...

For me, for this chassis, for my projected usage, putting an (optional) external reservoir over unused PCIe slots makes total sense...

No, I read your message, I'll be air-cooling as I am now for the most part.

My PCI-e ssds get abused heavily and will easily outlast any m.2 SSD in terms of wear-life.

I'm still going to have a GPU and 10gig-e pci-e cards in there too.

dudeskis

Case Bender
Jul 13, 2017
Comparison with the M1, as requested:

How much money do you want and when can I hand it over to you? Estimated ETA? 6 months?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Thoughts towards ThreadRipper & SFX-L PSU in this chassis...

All of the X399 motherboards I look at have either dual 8-pin EPS connections or single 8-pin + single 4-pin EPS connections, but the 800w Silverstone SFX-L PSU only has the single 8-pin EPS connector available...

That aside, one would only be able to run a single Vega GPU in a ThreadRipper / Vega combo build, as the 800w SFX-L PSU could not really support two 350w (ish) each GPUs & a 180w ThreadRipper CPU... And those power draws would be before any overclocking...
Yeah, a high-end dual GPU full AMD system is probably too much of a stretch on an 800W SFX. Though, I have it in the periphery of my mind that some company is working on a 1000W SFX-L... am I remembering that right? Maybe someone can confirm that.

Changing gears, water cooling... Thinking ThreadRipper CPU & single Vega GPU (FE or WX9100) with dual 240mm radiators...

Thoughts towards FrozenQ-esque reservoir that mounts where remaining empty PCI slots are...? Have the lowest two PCI slots (not including the one that the GPU is in / Vega GPU with EKWB water block would be single slot) without the 'stringer' between them to allow pass-thru for the G1/4 fittings...

This would get the reservoir up high for better filling / bleeding of loop...
There ought to be plenty of room between a GPU and a top rad for a res, yeah. Get one with a 120mm mounting bracket and you could suspend it off the radiator.

Hey there, NCase owner here.

As others have done before me, I created an account just to tell you that I am extremely supportive of this project as it would really enable us to have more cooling headroom for high-end components than in the NCase.

IMO, if you release such a case, not only will you draw many NCase customers like me who'll want to buy the case for the compactness, build quality and WC potential, but you will also address many more enthusiasts who do not even consider ITX for the lack of cooling headroom this form factor compel us into (and lack of RAM slots, PCIe and the likes...).

Really appreciative of your work, I have owned several cases and none has ever lived up to the quality and design of your product. I really hope I’ll be able to buy this project one day.

Cheers from France!
Thanks for taking the time to register and express your support. It's definitely appreciated.

How much money do you want and when can I hand it over to you? Estimated ETA? 6 months?
Couldn't give you an ETA at this point; too many uncertainties right now. When it's ready, I suppose.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I really like NCase M5. It's aesthetically logical if that makes sense. My OCD isn't triggered by it. M4 would have been weird, like why 4? But 5 makes sense somehow.

Will there be an option to get the same color for the top as the other panels? Some people may not like the contrast. I would not want my black M1 to have a silver top or vice versa.

Also, if someone really wants to use their bottom-most (or top-most in this case) PCIe slots, then just don't put a radiator on top. Or only put a 120mm. Like the M1, small size comes with tradeoffs, and I think that's more than worth it.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Will there be an option to get the same color for the top as the other panels? Some people may not like the contrast. I would not want my black M1 to have a silver top or vice versa.
Maybe. The only real reason I made the top black at all is because of the power button and I/O ports. If it's kept black for all exterior colors, then you don't need to have multiple colors of the power button to match it.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Oh it's you actually. Google returned your post, LOL
Lol... well you can hardly expect me to remember something I saw 3 months ago :p

Though now that I see that again, I am a little skeptical. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some misunderstanding there between Paul and the EVGA rep, and it's actually some other PSU line that's getting the 1000W variant. We can hope though!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Looks like it is a SFX-L PSU; he states it is not an SFX, but apparently he does not know about the SFX-L versions of the SFX PSU classification... And then he mentions that EVGA is going to make a 1000w version of the (what I think is) the SFX-L sized EVGA 750 G3s PSU...

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
The top is black, yeah.

I've seen someone do that on the M1 before, but IMO it's not the most amazing look. I think it would work better if the actual finish type were changed up as well, rather than just being the same brushed/anodize. I'm envisioning more of a matte, paint or powdercoat finish for the top, and a shinier or satin anodized finish for the front/sides.
Found it in the gallery page!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I dunno, I kinda like it...

I mean, obviously I want the Special Edition NCASE M1 v6 I mentioned over here, Gunmetal Grey front & side panels with Black top panel, all in a nice MacBook Pro style sandblasted finish...

But this might work, and if not only out 18 bucks for the extra top panel plus the extra shipping; so what, about 30 bucks max...?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Wow ncase you make so many cool ideas but when will any of these come to market.

I was actually looking today for the smallest case that supports a atx motherboard that I can water cool. There really isn't much out there that are small. Everything is mid size and above. My only recommendation is if your pushing water cooling support to have to have a glass panel. That's the main reason for water cooling is to show it off.

Edit: I like the m style better and if I could order one right now I so would :)

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Like you said, temps & noise...

Aesthetic would come in third to those...

So no, the main reason for water cooling is NOT to show off...
Temps can easily be had on air cooling if you purchase the proper cpu cooler and third party gpu. Yes a lot of people do it for the silence but I can almost guarantee more people do it for aesthetics than anything. Why spend the 1k on a custom loop if your not going to show it off. Two top reasons is aesthetics and silence. You can look at pcpartpicker, water cooling Reddit, and you will get the same answers. Even the parts are manufactured to looked pretty and be shown off. Otherwise what's the purpose of colored coolant. So yes you are mistaken

The trend in case manufacturing is towards glass panels anyway to show off components.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I mean, I see both sides of it. I do.

But honestly, it's preferential. Aesthetics, Acoustics, and Thermals are all "valid" reasons to go with water cooling. Some people definitely rate one of those higher than the others, but generally all 3 matter and if I spend serious money on my loop then it better look good, otherwise I can get an AIO for cheaper.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I have plans for a CPU & GPU loop in an NCASE M1, which has no window for viewing the loop; the blocks will be acetal + nickel, the fittings will be black & the tubing will be black. The coolant will be clear, and the only place to see any coolant at all would be in the rear externally mounted reservoir. Not everyone feels the need to show off their water cooling, some just want a cool & quiet system, and feel that water cooling is the way to get both.

Reactions: BaK and Biowarejak

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Well, don't worry; I designed the M5 specifically with a window option in mind. I know it's an important feature for a lot of people that water cool, judging by the number of requests we've gotten for one for the M1 (despite it being a far less-than-optimal layout for it).