Choice of mini-PSU for compact system

BobyMadrox

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hi !

I plan to build a small factor system using the S4 Mini case but sadly I have not enough technical knowledge to make the right choice for the PSU, if you could help me on this matter I would greatly appreciate it !

My ideal system will look something like this :
  • 65W CPU possibly overclocked, probably the I7-5775C running at 4GHZ instead of 3.3GHZ stock clock
  • 150W GPU, the Gigabyte mini GTX 1070
  • M.2 SSD
  • 2X8GB DDR3/DDR4
By using this http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ it gave me an approximation of 'Load Wattage: 270W AND Recommended PSU Wattage: 320W'

So either the mini PSU which could run all that doesn't exist yet or it could be one of thoses two :
  1. Pico-Box X3-ATX-300 (12V@20A=240W) ~50$
  2. HDPLEX HiFi 250W DC-ATX (12v@16A=192W) ~90$

The PSU will be not cooled by any fans in theory, so whatever runs cooler and quieter will be better. Thank you !

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Go for the HDPlex. Many people here have reported quality issues with Pico Box products including me.

Reactions: BobyMadrox

BobyMadrox

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Thanks but will it be enough for powering this 300+ Watts system, it's only 250W after all ? That's my main question

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
HDPlex can do up to 400W no problems, although the closer you get it to that wattage, the more likely you'll need some sort of air moving across the PCB and heatsink.

Reactions: Soul_Est

BobyMadrox

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Anyone tried both of them ? I don't feel like I have enough info yet to make the good choice.
The difference of price is important to me because I actually need to import HDPLEX 250W in my country which costs a lot of money, which is not the case of the pico, if the only problem related to pico X3 300 is a bit less quality I am okay with it because it is after all half of the HDPLEX's price for me, but does it support 320+ Watts system ? Does it run hotter than HDPLEX ?
Also is it possible to add thermal pad on thoses types of psu to make them run cooler ?

Last edited:

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
Go with the HDPlex. I have tried the pico box supplies (3 DOA's, 1 died after 2 days, the other works fine at low load but dies off around 400w). Your better off going with the HDPlex just from QA alone compared to the pico box.

Of course the pico box I was testing was not the one you mentioned (I was trying the X500 for a dual nuc, 1 brick concept), so maybe it could be okay to use? But I havent ever had an issue with the HDPlex psu's.