Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I gotta say EATX motherboard + any length of ATX PSU in 19.5 liters is pretty amazing, that's smaller than most Mini-ITX cases. There's something about the contrast of using the largest consumer components and SFF that is very appealing. This will be an excellent gateway case to SFF for people with normal systems.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger Any update on the wood top panels? I can't wait to see what they'll look like in person!

We have something worked out with our supplier for them but they may be a limited availability item, may be discontinued when stock sells.

I have built in my Cerberus case but cannot get the LED in the power button to illuminate, is there some trick to it? I have checked the wiring and it appears to be a solid connection.

What's your motherboard? Needs to be 3.3v

I have been away too long from this thred and cant belive its finally on sail.
Congrats!!!
And i love the extra parts(mainly the wood top panels)
Im not sure if anyone said it, but woudnt be better to offer the wood panel with the perforation like the metal one?If we put it as is, exausting air looks to be reduced quite a bit.

I've been running the wood panel, raises temperature in my PC by 2 degrees C vs perforated top. I have both sides nonvented however, so vented one or both sides may offset temp rise.

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
Mine died just after 5 days of non stop work..
Well, my sx800 lti is working like a charm since 8-9 months.

Yeah my SX800-LTI is still running fine and it's been just about 3 months now. I don't ever turn my PC off, so it's been 24/7 operation for that whole time. Some percentage of bad hardware that dies quickly is just a fact of life unfortunately.

I bought 3 Corsair ML-120 fans, and one of them makes a really irritating chirping noise between 400-1100rpm like this guy's. Doesn't mean the ML120 is a bad fan though, just means I'm glad that I mostly buy hardware from Amazon for instant refunds and 1-2 day shipping on replacements :)

Joe89

Chassis Packer
Dec 25, 2017
We have something worked out with our supplier for them but they may be a limited availability item, may be discontinued when stock sells.

What's your motherboard? Needs to be 3.3v

I've been running the wood panel, raises temperature in my PC by 2 degrees C vs perforated top. I have both sides nonvented however, so vented one or both sides may offset temp rise.
Any update on the windowed side panels? it's approaching April, and I am excited about it!

Reactions: VegetableStu

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016

Pre-production windowed side panel is super, super nice. This case is everything I hoped it would be.

The bottom fan test results were interesting. I tried EK Vardar EVO 140ERs, Noctua P14s, and Noctua F12s. It turned out that putting the Phanteks Halos underneath the fans were the best configuration for low GPU temps. That configuration also took care of raising the fans off of the bottom grille. (Fan intakes pressed right against a grille produce a ton of noisy turbulence, especially Noctuas for some reason.)

Of the three fans, the smaller F12s won by a wide margin, almost certainly because of the static vanes on their exhaust sides. Both 140mm fans had a sweet spot around 950 RPM beyond which turning them up any faster yielded higher GPU temps. With the F12s, faster was better, all the way up.

120mm fans don't completely cover the bottom grille area. Adding a blank plate under the bottom fans to cover the extra grille area surrounding the fans made a huge difference (5 degrees C) across the RPM range. Hot air recirculation is no joke!

In the end, I didn't bother with dust screens at all. All of the intake fans spin down to zero at idle, and my house isn't that dusty, so I'm just going to run it like this and see what happens.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Pre-production windowed side panel is super, super nice. This case is everything I hoped it would be.

The bottom fan test results were interesting. I tried EK Vardar EVO 140ERs, Noctua P14s, and Noctua F12s. It turned out that putting the Phanteks Halos underneath the fans were the best configuration for low GPU temps. That configuration also took care of raising the fans off of the bottom grille. (Fan intakes pressed right against a grille produce a ton of noisy turbulence, especially Noctuas for some reason.)

Of the three fans, the smaller F12s won by a wide margin, almost certainly because of the static vanes on their exhaust sides. Both 140mm fans had a sweet spot around 950 RPM beyond which turning them up any faster yielded higher GPU temps. With the F12s, faster was better, all the way up.

120mm fans don't completely cover the bottom grille area. Adding a blank plate under the bottom fans to cover the extra grille area surrounding the fans made a huge difference (5 degrees C) across the RPM range. Hot air recirculation is no joke!

In the end, I didn't bother with dust screens at all. All of the intake fans spin down to zero at idle, and my house isn't that dusty, so I'm just going to run it like this and see what happens.
Really nice setup.

Have you put some dust filters?

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I haven't perused the thread, so I'm sure this has been addressed at some point and I apologize for repeating, but I'd love to see a full window side panel for this case. The half-window option to me is neither here nor there and it looks a little odd. Clearly, full window side panels are the trend now, I think it would significantly increase interest in the case if people could get it with a full window panel.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
there were renders of the full panel window earlier in if I remember right. not sure if that's still a thing.

one problem after the fact is that if the side bracket is even worth including at that point, since the plastic panel is mounted from the inside and might interfere (even if it does fit, it's like having a filmstrip there for no reason XD)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
aaaaa can't wait for mine to ship >_<

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Has anyone successfully installed front 280mm AIO? Thinking about getting the new H115i Pro. Thanks!
I have the H100i V2 installed on the front and it is SNUG. (With the internal PSU bracket installed). Removed the PSU bracket and there is some room but I can't tell if there is enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Any update on the windowed side panels? it's approaching April, and I am excited about it!

We ran into a small mechanical issue mid run and majority of windows will hopefully be ready Monday, techs are here fixing the machine today.

I haven't perused the thread, so I'm sure this has been addressed at some point and I apologize for repeating, but I'd love to see a full window side panel for this case. The half-window option to me is neither here nor there and it looks a little odd. Clearly, full window side panels are the trend now, I think it would significantly increase interest in the case if people could get it with a full window panel.

It's coming mid to late May, depends on a few projects.

Also other good news is we found a distributor in South East Asia!
Should be much more affordable for everyone on that side of the Pacific.

MunneY

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2016
youtube.com
I have the H100i V2 installed on the front and it is SNUG. (With the internal PSU bracket installed). Removed the PSU bracket and there is some room but I can't tell if there is enough.

If I were you, I'd move those SSD's back to the back so the bottom card can breath a little better

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
If I were you, I'd move those SSD's back to the back so the bottom card can breath a little better
I replaced both 780's with a 1070.

You are right, I need a fan there, 1070 runs a little warm being so choked.

You'd be even more sad to see I have two SSD trays side by side down there now lol.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Also other good news is we found a distributor in South East Asia!
Should be much more affordable for everyone on that side of the Pacific.
whoa, great! when will the details be posted? i don't mind delaying my order till then

EDIT: oh wait the shipping price lowered on the site for my area. is that related? o_o

Last edited: