Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
With an SFX PSU in the ATX slot, a matx board, and an EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper, would I be able to squeeze these components into the case? I have zero liquid cooling experience so I'm mostly guesstimating the smaller components and pump. Storage will only consist of 1 or 2 ssd's and a 2 tb drive.

This is with the ST30 mockups (they're close in size to those SE 240) and the older EK-XRES 140:

I think there will be room for the 3.5" drive on the side bracket between the SFX PSU and the res but it'll be a close fit.

Is there a SketchUp model of the Cerberus available?

Not yet, my weekend project is to do a simplified model in SketchUp. SketchUp doesn't like the straight conversion of the CAD model due to all the geometry from the bends and vents.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I could mock up a pretty simple version of the Cerberus in AutoCAD if you want a .dwg

That would be awesome! I'm not that big of an autocad buff, but I just want to try to plan some theoretical builds.

I'm not comfortable sharing the full CAD file at this point.

Feel free, though I can't imagine there's much demand for a DWG file. Do you use AutoCAD?

Totally understand! No worries.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
On an open-air test bench it was decent, I wasn't too impressed with it installed though, but I'm also trying to cool a 5930K with it :p

Apparently there was a revision, though not in the full copper, and Hanakuso wasn't getting very good temps with the new one: http://hardforum.com/threads/id-cooling-builds-mini-itx-cpu-cooler-with-vapor-chamber.1849578/

I've been happy with my L9x65 so I haven't followed up and tested the new version myself.

Big dies tend to behave differently though, and Haswell-E is soldered. 130 W on a small die with mayonnaise or whatever it is that Intel is using for TIM and game over.

Huh. That's the thread that I first spied the Nova in. Didn't have need of such a small enclosure back then though. Small internet.

This is with the ST30 mockups (they're close in size to those SE 240) and the older EK-XRES 140:

Is that a D5 in there? Because if it is, that's pretty much exactly the placement I was thinking of.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Big dies tend to behave differently though, and Haswell-E is soldered.

That's true. I think the IS-VC45 is a good idea let down by poor QC. Plus ID Cooling took the idea of ugly fans from Noctua and elevated it to a whole new level of hideous.

Is that a D5 in there? Because if it is, that's pretty much exactly the placement I was thinking of.

Yes, that's a mockup I made a while back of this: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-d5-vario-incl-pump

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
And it's the larger XRES too. Fantastic, I may come out of this build with all of my fingers intact yet.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015

I think there will be room for the 3.5" drive on the side bracket between the SFX PSU and the res but it'll be a close fit.

Not yet, my weekend project is to do a simplified model in SketchUp. SketchUp doesn't like the straight conversion of the CAD model due to all the geometry from the bends and vents.

Awesomesauce! Seriously though, the more research I do on parts, the more I want to make a hulk of a pc squeezed into these perfect chassis. Now the waiting game for Pascal and my taxes :D.

Would you recommend 45* / 90* fittings for any of the components? I'll be using 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing wrapped with pvc anti-kink coils.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would you recommend 45* / 90* fittings for any of the components? I'll be using 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tubing wrapped with pvc anti-kink coils.

You'd probably want 90s on the CPU block to keep the tubing out of the way of the power supply, but other than that I'm not sure.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In case you're wondering what we're doing on the run-up to the crowdfunding campaign...

(More to come)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I would say you are going to the top of a mountain to photograph the Cerberus. Cool beans ! When you are up there, try to do tests on passive cooling in thin & cold air climates. For future reference.