Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

MunneY

Caliper Novice
Feb 14, 2016
youtube.com
Hey Guys!

I joined just to tell you how excited I am for this. I actually farm a little over an hour away from ya'll! I can't wait to get my hands on this. I have some HUGE plans for it :-D

If you guys are interested, shoot me a PM, I have a few things I'd like to discuss :-D

Reactions: jsco

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would that still leave room for the 3.5 bracket on the side? And with that 120 mm radiator there, what else can fit in the front? A 92 mm fan perhaps?

The 3.5" bracket may fit on the side but it'll depend on what length ATX and where you put the 120mm.

Another option is putting the 3.5" at the front sideways:

So this won't limit the ATX length but it'll only work if the 120mm + rad fits in front of the 240mm rad and the card length is short enough.

I joined just to tell you how excited I am for this. I actually farm a little over an hour away from ya'll! I can't wait to get my hands on this. I have some HUGE plans for it :-D

Welcome!

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
The 3.5" bracket may fit on the side but it'll depend on what length ATX and where you put the 120mm.

Another option is putting the 3.5" at the front sideways:

So this won't limit the ATX length but it'll only work if the 120mm + rad fits in front of the 240mm rad and the card length is short enough.

Is that a 140 mm long PSU? I did not consider turning the 120 mm sideways, but I assume that'll be a thin fan with it mounted on the bottom like that. Would a single 3.5 fit where the 120 mm rad is now?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That mockup has a 160mm PSU.

Yup, 15mm thick fan. A single 3.5" could fit there, once again assuming you're using a fairly compact 240mm rad like the Alphacool ST30.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Personally my favorite setup is NZXT X41 on the side and 120mm on the front under the PSU, no exhaust fans.

Reactions: evoandroidevo

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
That mockup has a 160mm PSU.

Yup, 15mm thick fan. A single 3.5" could fit there, once again assuming you're using a fairly compact 240mm rad like the Alphacool ST30.

What is the thickness of the bracket anyway? Hopefully there's an extra 3 mm to spare because I do not look forward to cleaning Alphacool rads.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
With just the one drive installed it's 40mm tall. Add another ~30mm for the second drive.

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
it looks like the alphacool ST30 280mm rad would fit on the bottom of the case, but you'd have some of the open rad fin area blocked by the margin around the vents, since it will have to be mounted off-center due to the protrusions on one end. the bigger issue is that a bottom 280 would completely rule out any full-length front rads. yes, 3x140 > 4x120 in terms of raw area, but find me three 140mm fans that outperform 4 120mm fans and i'll find you a pig that can fly through a pinhole.

p.s. i'm running alphacool rads and the cleaning issue is a non-issue. i shook it with hot water and dish soap, then hot water and vinegar, with negligible visible debris coming out. been running >12 months with no visible sediment.

Xajel

Case Bender
Feb 16, 2016
I just joined to register my excitement about this case... first I liked NCase but duo to limitation of mini-ITX I was skeptical for it... this one really shines !!

I'm planning a new build for late 2016/early 2017... thinking about 240mm rad for CPU and maybe later 120/140mm rad for GPU.. but I still need 2x 3.5 drives, the main drive should be SSD and there's a 85% chance it won't be a 2.5" format ( M.2 if all goes well )...

The questions I have in mind is the front IO, I see it does have 2x USB 3.0 and 2x Audio jacks... it's okay for this time but I think later in late 2016 a USB 3.1 will be more common, and might even have 2x Type-A and single or dual Type-C ( maybe having USB 3.0 Type-A + Type-C in one side and same in another side with USB 3.1 )... I know there's still no final spec. for an internal header... but It would be nice if the front IO is modular enough so users who buy the case now can upgrade later.. this will require a re-design I know.. but it's just a wish :)

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
I just joined to register my excitement about this case... first I liked NCase but duo to limitation of mini-ITX I was skeptical for it... this one really shines !!

I'm planning a new build for late 2016/early 2017... thinking about 240mm rad for CPU and maybe later 120/140mm rad for GPU.. but I still need 2x 3.5 drives, the main drive should be SSD and there's a 85% chance it won't be a 2.5" format ( M.2 if all goes well )...

The questions I have in mind is the front IO, I see it does have 2x USB 3.0 and 2x Audio jacks... it's okay for this time but I think later in late 2016 a USB 3.1 will be more common, and might even have 2x Type-A and single or dual Type-C ( maybe having USB 3.0 Type-A + Type-C in one side and same in another side with USB 3.1 )... I know there's still no final spec. for an internal header... but It would be nice if the front IO is modular enough so users who buy the case now can upgrade later.. this will require a re-design I know.. but it's just a wish :)

I'd give Type-C another year in the oven, it's not quite there yet. Once more devices and peripherals get it, we'll start to see more cases and motherboards support it.

evoandroidevo

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2016

would pay extra to be able to have a usb c port having a N6P would be nice to not go looking for another cord to plug it in to my computer

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It's still too early for Type-C.

To me it's not worth going Type-C until we can do USB 3.1 Type-C but motherboards don't have headers for that yet.

xkhoi

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2016
Hey guys,

I been following this project since you were talking about the NOVA, but I never made an account. I am really excited and have been waiting to build a new rig in this for a long time! I am still using my build with the i7-920.

I plan on doing all air cooling. I plan on doing something like this HERE. I am hoping to get the 700W SFX-L from Silverstone when it comes out and placing a 120mm fan below it and 2 on the bottom No fans on the side. Any thoughts? Is it possible to mount any 3.5 HDD vertically on the side bracket since I am pretty sure the DARK ROCK TF will interfere if I mount them horizontal

Depending on when the cases reach the backers, i might wait and see about Kaby Lake from Intel or Zen from AMD.

Great Work Guys!! Can't wait for this! I am still debating on if I want a handle and window

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There isn't room for the 3.5" bracket on the side with that heatsink and PSU up front.

Would it just be a single GPU setup?

xkhoi

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2016
Initially at least, it will be a 1 GPU setup but I will probably add another at a later time (Hoping the new GPU's come out by the time I get my hands on this case).

I was not too worried about the HDD just curious.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ok, I was going to say you could put the drive on the bottom in place of the 1 of the fans but that won't work if you end up with two video cards.

The 3.5" bracket is mostly intended to go on the bottom for those not doing dual-GPU. Due to the Infinite Vents they can be mounted elsewhere if you get creative but it gets more difficult the more parts are in there (240mm rads or large heatsink, etc.)

hiepphotog

Caliper Novice
Feb 2, 2016
So have you guys come up with a way to offer an expedited option? And is there any poll coming up soon to gauge certain interests? Sorry, I'm bored. Getting parts for my new computer, but there is no case to fit them in. There were a few sales I couldn't pass :D