Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
I was thinking of air cooling (even though this was optimized for water cooling) and would it be possible to know height clearance of aircoolers?

Noctua C14s is a great TD option and fits with top fan (also bottom if RAM clears) so clearance is at least 142mm, maybe a fraction more but the C14s is such a great option for air I find it hard to see why use something else.

See MarcParis' build thread (on X variant).

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Congratulations and best wishes going forward! I love my case to bits (not literally, it is quite sturdy) and I'm sure others will too. :cool:

Just curious, but would it be possible to order one or two sets of extra panels to the legacy 6 studded pre-production Cerberuses? Prices would of course be higher due to the one-off character of the thing, but it would be nice to know if the option was there.

Would you prefer if pre-production cases of the Cerberus weren't shown in builds on forums and such since they don't entirely represent the final production product?

Last edited:

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Just curious, but would it be possible to order one or two sets of extra panels to the legacy 6 studded pre-production Cerberuses? Prices would of course be higher due to the one-off character of the thing, but it would be nice to know if the option was there.

Any particular reason for wanting the 6 stud panels? I guess the new 4 stud would fit anyway?

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
  • We have updated our pin and clip system by using marginally cheaper parts, and by reducing the number of clips and pins for the side panels from six to four, which collectively keeps panel attachment sturdy but makes the panels themselves easier to remove (and build).

This particular point concerns me. The clip mechanism was a particular point of discussion regarding its durability on several occasions during the design and development of the case.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
This particular point concerns me. The clip mechanism was a particular point of discussion regarding its durability on several occasions during the design and development of the case.

I hadn't had any issues yet with the pre-production chassis and I have removed the panels to work in the case a few dozen times.
The pencom ball studs were insanely rigid.

Even though the six ball stud design made it a little tough to remove the panels, I personally really like how flush the panels are to the frame with six points of contact.

Last edited:

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
I hadn't had any issues yet with the pre-production chassis and I have removed the panels to work in the case a few dozen times.
The pencom ball studs were insanely rigid.

Even though the six ball stud design made it a little tough to remove the panels, I personally really like how flush the panels are to the frame with six points of contact.

Did you miss the part where they said they are using cheaper components in addition to the reduced amounts, or am I misunderstanding your reply to my quotation as actually being a confirmation of the old design being better?

Want to make sure we are on the same page here. :cool:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Did you miss the part where they said they are using cheaper components in addition to the reduced amounts, or am I misunderstanding your reply to my quotation as actually being a confirmation of the old design being better?

Want to make sure we are on the same page here. :cool:

I was providing details to back you up. I agree with the opinion that the six stud design is better.

Last edited:

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Hmm $70 for a panel set, somehow a second set in a complimentary color sounds seems like a great idea and quite silly at the same time. MarcParis' red with black top looked great, I think red & slate grey might be even better.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Production will be a much smoother matte finish.

For anyone that has ordered/orders a preproduction unit Sliger will send you a new set of panels in any of the available colors when the SFX power cords ship out. New panel set will also address the panel gaps.

Looking forward to feedback on builds, please post any and all issues we and KI will get them addressed.

Did this ever happen and I missed it? (The new set of panels / power cords)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
@KSliger ans @PlayfulPhoenix i don’t if it’s not too late (or you already took it into account)
For rear sfx psu bracket please maximize offset to allow maximum cpu cooler clearance...better than silverstonetek bracket..:) please also lake vents on plain surface..:) target is to have better clearance for aio waterblock/pump!

The rear SFX option will essentially be a plate. We will be intelligent about aligning the PSU to maximize CPU clearance.

Will the windowed panel in December be a full window, or only GPU window?

GPU window!

I was thinking of air cooling (even though this was optimized for water cooling) and would it be possible to know height clearance of aircoolers?

Thank you !

The product page for Cerberus on the website is up to date! For Cerberus X, it is correct within a few mm for all dimensions except height; I will get updated dimensions for Cerberus X and share ASAP however.

In theory, yes; Sliger can just make them custom. But I suspect that the new panels will work with the old enclosure.

Also, regarding:

The intention of updating the panel design to four pins was to reduce manufacturing cost and time in response to Sliger's observation that the two additional center pins didn't really make much of a difference, given the sturdiness of metal clips/pins and the thickness/rigidity of the panels. That said, let me follow-up with them to get some additional information and context.

To be clear, we would not have made the change if we thought there would be an impact on quality, consistency of panel gaps, etc.

Would you prefer if pre-production cases of the Cerberus weren't shown in builds on forums and such since they don't entirely represent the final production product?

Pssh. People should be able to do whatever the heck they want. It would be nice if they mentioned that it was pre-production just to allay confusion, but I'm fine with addressing it myself if folks reach out with questions.

Do I have to wait till December to order a primary set with a windowed panel? o_o

Yes, apologies. We're getting everything we can out ASAP; we didn't want to delay further for any reason.