Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Ankacat

Trash Compacter
Silver Supporter
Mar 11, 2016
I hope that backpack has wheels. I tried carrying around Jolokia in a backpack and even that was uncomfortable for long periods of time.
It's actually the UPPTÄCKA backpack from Ikea, of all things. It's got wheels, backpack straps, and a side handle for a bunch of different transport options. I did try wearing the backpack with the case in there and it was doable but all sorts of hilarious. I've also got a sewing machine transport bag (also with wheels) that Cerberus fits into nicely.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
To be honest, let's hope for this Christmas 2017.

For the first pre production batch, KI was waiting for 2 pieces coming from China : AC power extension cable (they received them) and USB 3.0 headers (I guess it's still on its way, should be there by September I hope).
After that KI needs to take note and correct all issues they faced on pre production.

So globally KI should be able to run a new batch (maybe not open to consumer as they may have professional customers) in October...if everything goes well, serial release could happen in December-January.

Fingers crossed..:D

Reactions: Biowarejak

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Its been a while since an actual update. Will this thing ever come out?

Eventually. I've been busy lately, and honestly the lack of any decent mATX boards this generation is dampening my enthusiasm :/

Is it close to release? Also, I can't figure out if Cerberus X is a KimeraIndustries project or some kind of side project mod. Is Cerberus X official?

It's official.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
You have decent kabylake micro atx boards...but for ryzen it's only b350 mostly oriented on budget. I didn't check x299 platform however.

After coffee lake is coming with promising 6 cores..let's hope micro atx will follow

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Off the top of my head, EVGA has an x299 mATX board, but the pcie x16 length sockets are electrically x16 x16 x4 with the 44-lane CPUs, unlike the x16 x16 x8 on the x99 one.
(EDIT: just to add for completion's sake regarding EVGA's x299 board:
  • 16-lane KBLX CPUs: x8 x8 x4 (not sure if BIOS allows x16 x0 x4) (this is like a normal Z270 board LOL)
  • 28-lane SKLX CPUs: x16 x8 x4
  • 44-lane SKLX CPUs: x16 x16 x4
)

There're Z270, X370 and B350 mATX boards, but for AMD's side they only have a singular electrically x16 socket, instead of a lane switcher that can split that to a pair of electrically x8 sockets (so they're basically big ITX boards). I'm thinking CFL and Zen2 would definitely have mATX boards from status quo.

Kinda bummed that there won't be any mATX boards for TR X399, but here's hoping for year 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

tbronzwaer

Cable Smoosher
May 25, 2017
thomasbronzwaer.wordpress.com
the lack of any decent mATX boards this generation is dampening my enthusiasm :/

Have you seen this? It's an mATX Purley board by Supermicro. It's capable of hosting the new Xeon Gold and Platinum CPU's, some of which are very impressive, as well as 700+ GB of six-channel RAM. If it were anywhere close to affordable, that's the system I would build, in a Cerberus. Hell, I still may just do it.

But at any rate, I hope you can find your enthusiasm again... The new platforms are still confusing and frustrating, but I'm sure more mATX boards are on their way and it seems to me like it's never been a better time to build a Cerberus based PC!

Geran Brown

Trash Compacter
Mar 2, 2017
Have you seen this? It's an mATX Purley board by Supermicro. It's capable of hosting the new Xeon Gold and Platinum CPU's, some of which are very impressive, as well as 700+ GB of six-channel RAM. If it were anywhere close to affordable, that's the system I would build, in a Cerberus. Hell, I still may just do it.

But at any rate, I hope you can find your enthusiasm again... The new platforms are still confusing and frustrating, but I'm sure more mATX boards are on their way and it seems to me like it's never been a better time to build a Cerberus based PC!
It looks like that motherboard from SM will be around $450USD

tbronzwaer

Cable Smoosher
May 25, 2017
As VegetableStu points out, it's the CPU and RAM that really drive up the cost of such a build :-)

BTW, I find the size of the Purley CPU's very appealing from a thermal point of view - one of them has 18 cores at 3.0 - 3.7 GHz! The much smaller 12-core Skylake-X processor (i9 7920x) has a lower base clock at 2.9 GHz, presumably due to thermals.

Then again, much is unknown about how well either chip can turboboost to its maximum frequencies under various circumstances. Also, I don't know if anyone is going to make anything like a 240 mm radiator AIO cooler for this enormous socket.

Pyrath

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2016
Eventually. I've been busy lately, and honestly the lack of any decent mATX boards this generation is dampening my enthusiasm :/

Aiboh, your case is smart and sexy and perfect for many people's watercooled ITX builds, including my own. The Cerberus is the best option right now for an SFX-powered, side panel window (will be cutting into your case, sorry!) sexy showoff rig. I know that's not what you designed her for, and it might not be what you're passionate about - but I know loads of people are super excited to get our grubby hands all over this case.

If you build it, they will come

tbronzwaer

Cable Smoosher
May 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of people are waiting for a case like this. I would have Kickstartered the case had I known it existed.

Same here. I suppose this particular market is small, and perhaps difficult to reach in terms of PR. But, at least for me, no case out there comes close to Cerberus in terms of emphasizing the right things (compactness, portability, quality of materials, solid engineering, utility, cooling, no fluff)... I'm really stoked on this thing and refreshing this thread daily. Wish there was more I can do.