Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
This gpu has to be tamed..:) Just make sure to monitor gddr6x temperature with latest hwinfo..:)
I noticed that when I ran a power virus on it. Yes, in games at 4K, the GDDR6X is much better, but I would like to bring down the rear memory temperatures closer to the core temperature. So I will be doing this thermal pad mod in about a week as well as repasting the GPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

AliSaying

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 17, 2021
Hi all,
I’m new here. I had Cerberus X for 3 years now, and that’s my current build. That’s MSI x590 Unify with 5950x and 3090 FE, SF750 and 2x32GB Corsair LPX’s, 980Pro SSD and full Arctic PST (P14’s, BioniX’s, P120 slims on top and small 92mm F9 exhaust) cooling with Noctua C-14S air cooler.
knowing this case and its cable management restrictions, did my best here. Hope this gives some ideas for anyone.
thanks

flakes

Efficiency Noob
Dec 15, 2017
Thanks! I will have to disagree here.

Point one: While the exhaust air from the AIO will be warm, the delta will not be significantly enough above ambient temperature to cause a problematic temperature increase for the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. The Founders Edition has a heatsink and fan cooling system that outperforms most any AIB design that can easily cope with this.

Point two: While there is somewhat warm air exhausting from the AIO, there is also fresh cool air entering from the front via the 140-mm fan that will also be directly cooling the RTX 3090.

Point three: Even at full tilt, given the larger size of the fans on the RTX 3090 Founders Edition, the noise level is quite tame even at maximum fan speed. I can definitely say from experience already that EVGA's RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra is significantly louder given its smaller fans when installed in my Ncase M1.

I've been looking at the 3070 FTW3 which is 152mm tall. Can this thing fit into the Cerrrbeeerusss and will I have enough space to plug the 12V cables? Thanks.

Falim

Cable Smoosher
Nov 1, 2018
Any chance you can fit a 280 rad in front and 240 in bottom? looking at the numbers it seems like it if the rad is small enough. Since there is 335mm available for motherboard space:
240mm rad length - 280 mm
fan - 25 mm
280mm rad thickness - 30 mm
Total - 335 mm

Looks like a tight fit but possible? Obviously you are limited in GPU length but that isn't an issue for me.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Any chance you can fit a 280 rad in front and 240 in bottom? looking at the numbers it seems like it if the rad is small enough. Since there is 335mm available for motherboard space:
240mm rad length - 280 mm
fan - 25 mm
280mm rad thickness - 30 mm
Total - 335 mm

Looks like a tight fit but possible? Obviously you are limited in GPU length but that isn't an issue for me.
Theorically possible for pure radiator/fans but you need to consider also fittings/tubings space requirements.
At worst case, dual 240 is completely doable..;)

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
Any update on the mini itx watercooling version of Ceberus? The one that would fit 280mm rad top and bottom in Cerberus x package? Has it been stalled indifinitely?

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
A
This was the cooler I needed to see to finish up design work on v2. Makes things much easier.

Might still make an XL version for D15 though.
Are we still on pace for a v2 at some point? I love my Cerberus X but any V2 stuff/parts I can purchase to update piecemeal would be cool. I’m thinking like usb-c/audio front Jack or other panel tweaks.

By the way did you see the guy on redit post about magnetic side panel attachment? I’d love something like that for Cerberus.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This was the cooler I needed to see to finish up design work on v2. Makes things much easier.

Might still make an XL version for D15 though.
@KSliger , indeed D12L is made for Cerberus/X!

I supposed that having Cerberus/Cerberus-X with updated Flexible front SFX positionning (like S620) will be great addition coupled with Noctua D12L.
I was thinking of rear intake and side exhaust airflow..:)

My main concern about Cerberus-XL will be its potential volume

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sn0man

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
@KSliger , indeed D12L is made for Cerberus/X!

I supposed that having Cerberus/Cerberus-X with updated Flexible front SFX positionning (like S620) will be great addition coupled with Noctua D12L.
I was thinking of rear intake and side exhaust airflow..:)

My main concern about Cerberus-XL will be its potential volume
The champ is back. Hello Marc! We’ve been dormant here for a while.

A little more D12L info I got from Noctua.

I noticed when looking through the installation PDF they do not discuss two orientations for mounting of AM4/AM5.

Noctua support stated that if you have an AM4 board and want to do a vertical fan instead of horizontal they will require a receipt to get the adapter kit.

I’m now rethinking my 5550/5600g/5600 purchase and considering 8 core options.

My U9S still has to spool up quite a bit in Linux to cool my 3600 with push pull fans.

My wife also needs a new PC so Cerberus V2 better hurry up. C’mon Sliger!

Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The champ is back. Hello Marc! We’ve been dormant here for a while.

A little more D12L info I got from Noctua.

I noticed when looking through the installation PDF they do not discuss two orientations for mounting of AM4/AM5.

Noctua support stated that if you have an AM4 board and want to do a vertical fan instead of horizontal they will require a receipt to get the adapter kit.

I’m now rethinking my 5550/5600g/5600 purchase and considering 8 core options.

My U9S still has to spool up quite a bit in Linux to cool my 3600 with push pull fans.

My wife also needs a new PC so Cerberus V2 better hurry up. C’mon Sliger!
In fact @sn0man for vertical mount you can already request it as long as you have bought an AM4 board and noctua cooler, basically it is part of standard AM4 mounting kit :
https://noctua.at/en/products/accessories/mounting-kits

NH-D12L should use standard NM-AM4 kit (not UxS version).

I've tried alternative orientation in my Cerberus-X while using C14S+X370 C6H...but it was interfering with top fan.

Reactions: sn0man

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
In fact i’m truly thinking to get a second Cerberus X (v2) as I’m getting really disappointed with mini itx board (lack of choice, diversity, price, lack of compatibility of cpu cooler)
Most probably I would like to keep mini itx just for APU system, without discrete gpu…but let’s see