Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Random middle-of-the-night thought: Could 120mm fans be screwed in off-center enough to clear the VRM heatsinks?

I mean doing something like this. I mean, aesthetically, it would impact symmetry from the top, but if the distance is enough, it would allow the fan to pass just above the VRM without obstruction. This is an example of what might be done with a motherboard with interfering VRM heatsinks:

(Original image taken from @altano's build here.)

I have been poring over all the build images like mad (referencing especially this, this, and this) and it seems plausible if the distance is enough.

EDIT: So this has been done before. See below. They "shifted off-center most away from the motherboard." Bingo! The problem is knowing if it will work consistently since VRM heatsink height varies from model to model, with my motherboard being a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Hmm...

someone used that to mount a single 120x25mm fan at the top over the motherboard VRM coolers (shifted off-center most away from the motherboard) but I can't recall exactly where was the picture posted ,_,

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Random middle-of-the-night thought: Could 120mm fans be screwed in off-center enough to clear the VRM heatsinks?

I mean doing something like this. I mean, aesthetically, it would impact symmetry from the top, but if the distance is enough, it would allow the fan to pass just above the VRM without obstruction. This is an example of what might be done with a motherboard with interfering VRM heatsinks:

(Original image taken from @altano's build here.)

I have been poring over all the build images like mad (referencing especially this, this, and this) and it seems plausible if the distance is enough.

EDIT: So this has been done before. See below. They "shifted off-center most away from the motherboard." Bingo! The problem is knowing if it will work consistently since VRM heatsink height varies from model to model, with my motherboard being a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. Hmm...
To be honest, it's not worth having 25mm for just exhaust purpose...there is no strong resistance to passthrough top panel.

I mean : putting NF A12x25 on radiator is leading clear performance/noise advantage. For pure case exhaust fan, difference between NF A12x15 & NF A12x25 is minimum as you will setup fan at 1000 rpm (for example) and it will exhaust hot air in similar way (no major temperature impact on GPU/CPU)

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
To be honest, it's not worth having 25mm for just exhaust purpose...there is no strong resistance to passthrough top panel.

I mean : putting NF A12x25 on radiator is leading clear performance/noise advantage. For pure case exhaust fan, difference between NF A12x15 & NF A12x25 is minimum as you will setup fan at 1000 rpm (for example) and it will exhaust hot air in similar way (no major temperature impact on GPU/CPU)
Thanks! To clarify my build requirements, I have a windowed unit, so I want RGB, I prefer maximum static pressure (so 25mm unless absolutely impossible), and, if it is possible, I would prefer using the same RGB fans in all locations for a streamlined appearance. I am also not too concerned with noise as long as it is not quite as loud as a high-RPM Delta--and I have owned those.

My question is just this: if I moved the fan one more rung out towards the window side panel as I illustrate in this photo, would a 25mm thick fan fit over top my Dark Hero's VRM heatsinks? That's my only concern here. I appreciate and respect your guys' preferences for Noctua and such, but that is not what I am after.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks! To clarify my build requirements, I have a windowed unit, so I want RGB, I prefer maximum static pressure (so 25mm unless absolutely impossible), and, if it is possible, I would prefer using the same RGB fans in all locations for a streamlined appearance. I am also not too concerned with noise as long as it is not quite as loud as a high-RPM Delta--and I have owned those.

My question is just this: if I moved the fan one more rung out towards the window side panel as I illustrate in this photo, would a 25mm thick fan fit over top my Dark Hero's VRM heatsinks? That's my only concern here. I appreciate and respect your guys' preferences for Noctua and such, but that is not what I am after.

I understand..:)
However I don’t know if 25mm thick will fit if you offset it by one row...;)

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I understand..:)
However I don’t know if 25mm thick will fit if you offset it by one row...;)
Thanks for all the insight. :thumb::) I think just to play it safe, I will order just two fans for now on Performance PC's that I at least know without a doubt will fit on the front, and I will then come back for a repeat order there looking for either a slim or normal thickness fan for the top mount based on my findings.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for all the insight. :thumb::) I think just to play it safe, I will order just two fans for now on Performance PC's that I at least know without a doubt will fit on the front, and I will then come back for a repeat order there looking for either a slim or normal thickness fan for the top mount based on my findings.
Based on my Cerberus-X experience, your starting setup...well..won't last long before you test another one..:):)
Cerberus-X is clearly king of polyvalence..:D

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Based on my Cerberus-X experience, your starting setup...well..won't last long before you test another one..:):)
Cerberus-X is clearly king of polyvalence..:D
Oh, no...

And you should know because your builds have been a huge inspiration to people like me. Tell me, is there a known cure for this? 🤣

---

More evidence making me think that 120x25mm top fans might actually work on my Dark Hero after all:

The VRM heatsink of the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I looks to be just as tall as my Dark Hero. However, this is just a Cerberus though they are quite similar in construction especially in the topmost region.

Of course, though...

You can fit 25mm thick in most situations, but look out for VRM heat sinks and other stuff on the edge of the motherboard that might interfere. 15mm works flawlessly with any motherboard, 25mm is hit or miss.

Fingers crossed. It is to arrive on Friday. I'll get a lay of the land then when I size up the fan situation with a spare 120x25mm fan I have lying around.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Oh, no...

And you should know because your builds have been a huge inspiration to people like me. Tell me, is there a known cure for this? 🤣

---

More evidence making me think that 120x25mm top fans might actually work on my Dark Hero after all:

The VRM heatsink of the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I looks to be just as tall as my Dark Hero. However, this is just a Cerberus though they are quite similar in construction especially in the topmost region.

Of course, though...

Fingers crossed. It is to arrive on Friday. I'll get a lay of the land then when I size up the fan situation with a spare 120x25mm fan I have lying around.
No cure unfortunately...:D

My bet : only 15mm will fit..;);)

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
No cure unfortunately...:D
No doubts there. I’ve definitely tested positive and I'm absolutely infected. Luckily, I just got the trifecta unobtainium as well as the SF750 holy grail to treat the symptoms for now:

My bet : only 15mm will fit..

Please, no! All my hopes dashed to ribbons... 😢 😆

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
No doubts there. I’ve definitely tested positive and I'm absolutely infected. Luckily, I just got the trifecta unobtainium as well as the SF750 holy grail to treat the symptoms for now:

Please, no! All my hopes dashed to ribbons... 😢 😆
SF750 is clearly a good remedy..:D

what will be your cpu cooler at the end?

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
SF750 is clearly a good remedy..:D

what will be your cpu cooler at the end?
Corsair H100i RGB Platinum :)

As you noticed, only slim fan can be put on top. You don't need really powerful/best fans fans as it's just for exhaust. Try from ID-cooling to find rgb slim 120 fan (same on IS-60 EVO).
Thanks for the tip! The hype seems to be legit. I found that NO-12015-XT-ARGB, but it went out of stock about a week ago likely because of how good it is. Any leads on where I might find it outside of AliExpress?

===

I am thinking of switching to 140-mm fans. Also, talking seriously, like you have said, I agree that I will likely need to use 120-mm slim (ID Cooling NO-12015-XT-ARGB) as the top rear fan. I also considering using one (1) 120-mm fans (EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB Black) for the top front plus two (2) 140-mm fans (EK-Vardar EVO 140ER D-RGB) for the front top and bottom locations. Revising my old image, here is what I am thinking:

Code:
+-----------------------------------------------+
|  +----(top fan mount, 25mm fans, exhaust)---+ |
|  |  120mm (slim)   |      |      120mm      | |
|  +-----------------+      +-----------------+ |
+-------------------+                     +--+  |
|                   |                     |  |  |
|      SFX PSU      |                     |  |  |
|                   |                     |  |140x
|                   |                     +--+25mm
+-------------------+                         fans,
|                                         +--+intake
|                                         |  |  |
| +-----------------------------------+   |  |  |
| |           240mm rad (cpu)         |   |  |  |
| +-----------------------------------+   +--+  |
|        120x25mm fans, intake                  |

I should be able to fit the front top 140mm fan, but based on this image below of a similar build that has my proposed fan configuration overlaid on top, I am not so sure a front bottom 140mm fan will fit below my 3090 FE.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Corsair H100i RGB Platinum :)

Thanks for the tip! The hype seems to be legit. I found that NO-12015-XT-ARGB, but it went out of stock about a week ago likely because of how good it is. Any leads on where I might find it outside of AliExpress?

===

I am thinking of switching to 140-mm fans. Also, talking seriously, like you have said, I agree that I will likely need to use 120-mm slim (ID Cooling NO-12015-XT-ARGB) as the top rear fan. I also considering using one (1) 120-mm fans (EK-Vardar EVO 120ER D-RGB Black) for the top front plus two (2) 140-mm fans (EK-Vardar EVO 140ER D-RGB) for the front top and bottom locations. Revising my old image, here is what I am thinking:

Code:
|  +----(top fan mount, 25mm fans, exhaust)---+ |
|  |  120mm (slim)   |      |      120mm      | |
|  +-----------------+      +-----------------+ |
+-------------------+                     +--+  |
|      SFX PSU      |                     |  |  |
|                   |                     |  |140x
|                   |                     +--+25mm
+-------------------+                         fans,
|                                         +--+intake
| +-----------------------------------+   |  |  |
| |           240mm rad (cpu)         |   |  |  |
| +-----------------------------------+   +--+  |
|        120x25mm fans, intake                  |

I should be able to fit the front top 140mm fan, but based on this image below of a similar build that has my proposed fan configuration overlaid on top, I am not so sure a front bottom 140mm fan will fit below my 3090 FE.

Well, well, I think your plan on airflow inside Cerberus-x is a bit messy. Main drawback, from my point of view, is cpu cooler radiator feeding RTX 3090 with hot air...it will be a massacre in noise and temperature (based on personal experience with RTX 3090)...but you need to test your setup and adjust to your needs..:)

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Well, well, I think your plan on airflow inside Cerberus-x is a bit messy. Main drawback, from my point of view, is cpu cooler radiator feeding RTX 3090 with hot air...it will be a massacre in noise and temperature (based on personal experience with RTX 3090)...but you need to test your setup and adjust to your needs..:)
Thanks! I will have to disagree here.

Point one: While the exhaust air from the AIO will be warm, the delta will not be significantly enough above ambient temperature to cause a problematic temperature increase for the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. The Founders Edition has a heatsink and fan cooling system that outperforms most any AIB design that can easily cope with this.

Point two: While there is somewhat warm air exhausting from the AIO, there is also fresh cool air entering from the front via the 140-mm fan that will also be directly cooling the RTX 3090.

Point three: Even at full tilt, given the larger size of the fans on the RTX 3090 Founders Edition, the noise level is quite tame even at maximum fan speed. I can definitely say from experience already that EVGA's RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra is significantly louder given its smaller fans when installed in my Ncase M1.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks! I will have to disagree here.

Point one: While the exhaust air from the AIO will be warm, the delta will not be significantly enough above ambient temperature to cause a problematic temperature increase for the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. The Founders Edition has a heatsink and fan cooling system that outperforms most any AIB design that can easily cope with this.

Point two: While there is somewhat warm air exhausting from the AIO, there is also fresh cool air entering from the front via the 140-mm fan that will also be directly cooling the RTX 3090.

Point three: Even at full tilt, given the larger size of the fans on the RTX 3090 Founders Edition, the noise level is quite tame even at maximum fan speed. I can definitely say from experience already that EVGA's RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra is significantly louder given its smaller fans when installed in my Ncase M1.

I've already tested RTX3090 FE in my Cerberus-X...and this beast can become quickly noisy..:)
With "pure" bottom intake my RTX 3090 FE is reaching 65°C to 70°C (depends heavily on type of workload) with fan speed reaching up to 1600rpm.

In you feed RTX3090 with hot air from CPU cooler radiator, you will gain easily 5-7°C.

You will make your own experiments..;)

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
In you feed RTX3090 with hot air from CPU cooler radiator, you will gain easily 5-7°C.
My point exactly. That’s more than acceptable for me and a huge step up from my previous situation. Understand that I am coming from an Ncase M1. Most RTX 3080 cooler designs hit 80 degrees Celsius in a well ventilated case. In my Ncase M1, my RTX 3080 was hitting temperatures in the mid-80-degree Celsius range.

“Noisy” is quite the matter of opinion. The fans are larger and so they don’t whine as much as most AIB designs and most certainly the smaller RTX 3080 Founders Edition. I have heard the RTX 3090 at full fan speed and it is rather pleasant compared to most other GPU coolers.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
My point exactly. That’s more than acceptable for me and a huge step up from my previous situation. Understand that I am coming from an Ncase M1. Most RTX 3080 cooler designs hit 80 degrees Celsius in a well ventilated case. In my Ncase M1, my RTX 3080 was hitting temperatures in the mid-80-degree Celsius range.

“Noisy” is quite the matter of opinion. The fans are larger and so they don’t whine as much as most AIB designs and most certainly the smaller RTX 3080 Founders Edition. I have heard the RTX 3090 at full fan speed and it is rather pleasant compared to most other GPU coolers.
I understand.

I was surprised how cool is RTX 3090FE but its fan curve (default) is pretty aggressive too.

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Hi Guys, I'm interested in buying the Cerberus, but have few questions. I currently run a mITX system, but want to move slightly bigger to a mATX case. The plan for the machine is to either use Unraid or aster multiseat software to create an all in one system that will allow for 2 people to use the computer at the same time (each using their own dedicated gpu). With unraid I might go further and run something like pihole and/or utilize its data management/backup capability.

My questions are:
1. Does the 4 2.5 ssd drive bracket (shown on the Sliger website) fit 4 2.5" hdd? Ideally I'd like to have at least 4 hdds in the Cerberus, but not lose all fan capability at the bottom of the case...maybe 4 2.5" hdds would only take up half the bottom?
2. Is getting the second side panel vented worth it? I'd like extra air flow, but it seems the majority of the flow would be blocked. Maybe some benefits to cooling an underside M2 drive?
3. Does anyone keep their Cerberus on the floor? I'm also looking to reclaim desk space by putting my case below or to side of my desk. Wondering if this could be a cooling issue.

Zeno

Case Bender
New User
Jan 29, 2021
Another Cerberus convert! I'm planning to buy this case soon and also had a question for any of the more experienced builders... is it possible to mount a 92mm fan on the top mount bracket?

Zeno

Case Bender
New User
Jan 29, 2021
Another Cerberus convert! I'm planning to buy this case soon and also had a question for any of the more experienced builders... is it possible to mount a 92mm fan on the top mount bracket?
I've actually just answered my own question thanks to this great build writeup: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/FPNqqs.

For anybody else looking for info on this, yes 92mm fans easily fit along the top w/ the top mount bracket.