Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

sr2002

Case Bender
Aug 13, 2016
Hello,
I signed up just to get more info on this case. I have been in the market for a compact mATX case for months now and there is literally nothing out there that will fit in a carry on bag (with a enthusiast grade GPU installed of course :)).
Your case seems to fit the bill and I'm quite interested in getting my hands on one asap.
I read that you are letting people buy the prototypes for the 300ish price tag.
Can you please let me know the following:
1) What is the ETA on the final product
2) If I order the prototype, by when can I expect it to be delivered?
3) Will I be able to get in touch with you for the case layout and cosmetic options that you will be offering?
4) Will you be providing any exclusive designs/etched names etc... just for the prototypes (to make us feel a little special ;))
Thanks

hardcore_gamer

electronbender
Aug 10, 2016
well, looks like it probably can if you stick a pascal titan x in it... :)

One Titan X pascal isn't enough:

T
There's a bunch of computer hardware reviewers in London for some kind of Nvidia event. Could be the 1080 Ti.

I highly doubt GTX 1080 Ti can hit 60fps at this game. Titan x pascal is a (slightly) cut down GP102-400 with 3584 cores. Even if 1080 Ti is a fully unlocked GP102 with 3840 cores, with 200Mhz base clock increase over Titan X, it still won't have enough power to hit 60 FPS.

My point is, SLI is the way to go for 4K. At least for the current generation of GPUs. This case seems to have ample air circulation and the ability to support Nvidia's HB SLI Bridge (which is recommended for 4k and VR) unlike other SLI supported small form factor cases I've seen here. That's why I called it the world's smallest no-compromise PC case. :)

Edit: Windowed red case will be an option, right ? It will look kick ass with two of these:

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For either the prototype case or the production models, could steel panels be requested?

Maybe, if you're willing to throw enough money at the manufacturer :p

I signed up just to get more info on this case.

Welcome to the forum!

1) What is the ETA on the final product
2) If I order the prototype, by when can I expect it to be delivered?

We don't know yet. I know "it's done when it's done" is frustrating to hear but it's better than promising dates and failing to meet them.

3) Will I be able to get in touch with you for the case layout and cosmetic options that you will be offering?

When we take orders for the prototypes you'll be able to specify color, window, carry handle, etc. for the available options.

4) Will you be providing any exclusive designs/etched names etc... just for the prototypes

Probably not actually. I'd like to but part of the reason for the delay is the manufacturer has been busy with bigger customers lately so we want to keep the prototype run straightforward and close to the production units to streamline things.

That's why I called it the world's smallest no-compromise PC case.

Fair point.

Windowed red case will be an option, right ?

Yes. I only have windowed panels for the white, black, and blue for the current prototype which is why those aren't pictures of the red window.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Probably not actually. I'd like to but part of the reason for the delay is the manufacturer has been busy with bigger customers lately so we want to keep the prototype run straightforward and close to the production units to streamline things.
I demand a misprint in the vent pattern, so it becomes a collector's item in a dozen years !
Or atleast a stamp and hammer to spell "prototype mark II" or something :D

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
I would much rather pay an increased cost on the case and shipping than have aluminum. So long as it's under $400, it's a done deal for me.

Steel side panels for me too.

p.s.: a magnet with a "All steel prototype" signature would be a nice add... ;-)

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Maybe, if you're willing to throw enough money at the manufacturer 

Any ballpark figure here? The closer this thing comes to requiring a dolley to be moved from room to room the better. Honestly, I wouldn't mind an even thicker all steel frame and panels. Knowing that it would last the next few decades would be well worth the cost.

Maybe throw in some sharpie signatures and a clear coat over them inside one of the panels for the prototypes. Easy way for a "collectors edition."

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any ballpark figure here?

Not sure, probably less than $250 for a one-off set of steel panels?

The closer this thing comes to requiring a dolley to be moved from room to room the better. Honestly, I wouldn't mind an even thicker all steel frame and panels.

The case is small though so even the current prototype isn't that heavy all things considered though. If you want a case that's impractical to move I'd recommend the Caselabs TX10 :p

After the initial prototype, shouldn't that be "Unit 01"?
You better paint it purple and green.

I have a paint chip of a textured purple powder coat. Doesn't quite match but close enough.

Luckily I'm already happy with how the red powder coat looks so the first production unit (Unit 02) will be all set.

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
I perfectly understand this, but we are talking about of a simple swap of the material. Measures and all the rest are the same, aren't they?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The key word is "tooling", the way the panels are shaped, perforated, milled, painted or manipulated otherwise. Aluminium is a much softer material than steel and the panels would be thicker to compensate, if I remember correctly. This often requires the engineers to reprogram their machines and/or alter their tooling equipment. This is translated into a one-time setup cost per project per part per type of material. This is usually distributed (by the customer) over the amount of required pieces.

Example:

25 pieces of 1 item

One time setup cost: $500
Per piece cost: $20
500 + (20*25) = $1000
1000 / 25 = $40 a piece

2 pieces of 1 item

One time setup cost: $500
Per piece cost: $20
500 + (20*2) = $540
540 / 2 = $270 a piece

Gross exageration but this is how production works. This is ofcourse for the prototype with a low number cases more extreme than when looking at the final version.

Last edited:
Reactions: hardcore_gamer

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
Thank you very much for your exhaustive explanation.

I don't know how many prototypes you are going to produce but I have to hope there will be more people interested on steel panels out there...

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
To add more detail, the aluminum needs to be formed differently or it will crack or weaken molecularly. You can get around this with some alloys developed to mimic the same memory, toughness, plastification, etc but generally if you want something made with a high degree of quality you have to use the right dies and bend/stamp it with the right speed. As Phuncz also mentioned you generally need to make the aluminum thicker. Ever wonder why an aluminum boat is the same weight as a steel boat? Or why aluminum car bodies for classic remakes are the same weight (sometimes heavier) than their steel counterparts? It's pretty cool we are reversing the need to use more material with better manufacturing techniques thanks to advancements in TIG welding and cold forming, but this is outside the reach of most small prototypers.

Now you CAN move from aluminum to steel with much less effort. There still is some cost associated for setup time, but you don't need to change a ton of the data if you set it up correctly to start with. You will be left with some really thick steel panels, but that isn't a bad thing. I did the S1s in aluminum first then swapped to steel with good (and heavy) results. :)

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Haha, now that's one large case! Would it be about $250 for the panels plus the cost of the case with aluminum panels; or would the panels be switched out and the cost adjusted to compensate? Would a windowed steel panel still be feasible? It surely can't be just one other and myself who desire steel panels. We need another pole hahaha.

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I would also like steel panels but I'm not holding my breath.

The consumer base wants what it wants, even if it is misinformed. The trend away from utility (actual quality) towards aesthetic (perceived quality) has been a long time coming.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Measures and all the rest are the same, aren't they?

In addition to what Phuncz and Josh said, the dimensions are slightly different as well to account for the different thickness so the panels line up with each other.

Would it be about $250 for the panels plus the cost of the case with aluminum panels; or would the panels be switched out and the cost adjusted to compensate?

I'd imagine the panels would be swapped out because it's easier to ship the panels installed on the case.

The consumer base wants what it wants, even if it is misinformed. The trend away from utility (actual quality) towards aesthetic (perceived quality) has been a long time coming.

Realistically though, what kind of situation do you imagine where the strength of 1.3mm steel comes into play over 2.0mm aluminum?