Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Mike

Efficiency Noob
Mar 5, 2016
Latter and yes. But we'll probably openly take orders for the prototype run, it won't be limited to just those who responded on the original survey.

Any chance I could still get mine without the IO ports for this prototype run :)? Even if it costs more ;)?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm not sure. The manufacturer will hopefully be less busy but they're still busy so I'm not sure how well they'll be able to accommodate customizations like that. We'll have to wait and see.

Commissariat

Caliper Novice
Jun 20, 2015
Latter and yes. But we'll probably openly take orders for the prototype run, it won't be limited to just those who responded on the original survey.

Aiboh, what would you say the differences between this second, open prototype run and the first production run are going to be? The design of the case is mostly finalized by this point, right?
Also, what have you and Phoenix decided on regarding the back panel options and interior frame materials?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Assuming no issues are found with the prototypes then they and the production should be basically the same.

Changes between the current prototype and the production design:
  • Lots of minor dimensions tweaks based on testing
  • Exterior panels will be aluminum
  • Panels will have lips that extend past the back of the frame to assist removal
  • Swappable rear-bracket will stay
  • Frame will stay as steel
That's all I can think of right now, but I'm tired and probably forgot something so feel free to ask about anything you want me to clarify :)

Commissariat

Caliper Novice
Jun 20, 2015
Assuming no issues are found with the prototypes then they and the production should be basically the same.

• Panels will have lips that extend past the back of the frame to assist removal
That's all I can think of right now, but I'm tired and probably forgot something so feel free to ask about anything you want me to clarify :)

No, I think you covered everything. Thanks!

Edward Hay

Trash Compacter
Aug 5, 2016

Do you have an number for the expected weight loss with swapping the exterior panels to aluminium?

btw, I also noticed in HardwareCanucks video of the cerberus that the front I.O. cables were a bit long. Have they been made shorter?

Last edited:

amvoith

Cable Smoosher
Aug 6, 2016
I've also been monitoring this thread and the previous one for quite some time. I'm excited to hopefully pick one of these up! Maybe the Canadian dollar will be a little stronger by the time you are in production haha :p Anyways keep up the great work!

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I've been lurking this post for the longest time, and now I see the possibility of a production run. Is it possible to get an estimate of how much a single unit will cost in the upcoming prototype production? I really love the case, and am excited to get my hands on one if possible :D

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
btw, I also noticed in HardwareCanucks video of the cerberus that the front I.O. cables were a bit long. Have they been made shorter?

Oops, missed this question. We're not sure yet, it depends on what's available. The USB 3.0 cable is actually just right for some motherboards that have the header in awkward locations.

Also, forgot to mention it in the list, but there will not be front audio. The panel mount stuff on the prototype isn't practical for production and a custom PCB is expensive. The majority of people on the survey we sent out a while ago did not want or need front audio so we ditched it.

Either wait for the production version and get a lighter case, or get a prototype that's heavier earlier.

I mean the prototype I have now that's in all the pictures when I say "current prototype", both the upcoming prototype run and production run will have aluminum panels. The thing with the prototype run is they'll be more expensive and there's the possibility of minor flaws since they're prototypes. If that's a problem then wait for production.

've been lurking this post for the longest time, and now I see the possibility of a production run. Is it possible to get an estimate of how much a single unit will cost in the upcoming prototype production?

Welcome! Not sure on exact price yet, I'm hoping to get semi-final quotes next week.

Edit: Not to say we'll be ready to share that price next week though. We have to crunch numbers and check on things first.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, but not $1000 like the Kickstarter. We'll be making more than 3 but it's still a small run.

Reactions: alamilla