Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
First post here, really hope you can release a atx version of Cerberus at the same time as the Marx one, have bin looking for a sweet case like this and wish you all luck with getting it out there to the masses! :-)

I'll admit that I've come around on the idea of an ATX version of Cerberus... but just to set expectations, we won't work on such a thing if it in any way impedes our ability to deliver on Cerberus proper. So priority #1 is getting our mATX enclosure out the door.

Man I'm still so hyped about this case that I've also fully planned how I'm going to do a hard line water cooling loop in it :p
Keep the updates coming!

Things are moving very quickly. We're basically waiting to confirm a few things and then documents will be signed. And then we can announce some stuff.

Lehani

Minimal Tinkerer
May 22, 2016
Things are moving very quickly. We're basically waiting to confirm a few things and then documents will be signed. And then we can announce some stuff.[/QUOTE]

PLEASE :) i am ready to hit the pre-order buttom... where is it :)?

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
Based of your responses being conjecture I decided to try to find information on whether or not it would be an issue. From what little I could find it doesn't look like I'll have any issues if I get good fittings. Also I think the comparison to the car is a bad example.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13321-transporting-a-water-cooled-machine/

In this one on guy mentions he has a sff (sort of) build and it's fine (he recommends only constantly transporting smaller systems and has a sm5). There is also a video they link of singularity computers where the guy mentions his method of shipping computers all over the world with no issues (using foam padding). If I get really uncomfortable I will just copy him and get some foam to prevent anything from even trying to shift.

https://m.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/3dpgy7/safeness_of_rigid_in_transport/
In this one one guy has had experience with moving rigid tubes systems and said it's fine. One guy mentions you will want really nice firm holding fittings and recommends primochill revolver (says they hold really tight).

I'll admit that I've come around on the idea of an ATX version of Cerberus... but just to set expectations, we won't work on such a thing if it in any way impedes our ability to deliver on Cerberus proper. So priority #1 is getting our mATX enclosure out the door.

Still hoping this happens (going to get one of these cases either way)

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Still hoping this happens (going to get one of these cases either way)

Can I ask what you'd do with an ATX version compared to an mATX one?

I'd actually really like to know what everyone who's interested in an "ATX Cerberus" would want to do with it, if folks wouldn't mind sharing. A few use cases come to mind but it's really not something I'd personally be interested in, so I recognize that I'm not considering a lot of things.

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2016
Excited for this! Will be retiring a Silverstone J108B-E to use this case. Keep revisiting micro-atx enclosures due to quad channel CPUs. Just a couple questions;

would it be possible to do a bare chassis(no powdercoat)? Will have it painted at a friends auto paint shop if this is possible.

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
Can I ask what you'd do with an ATX version compared to an mATX one?

I'd actually really like to know what everyone who's interested in an "ATX Cerberus" would want to do with it, if folks wouldn't mind sharing. A few use cases come to mind but it's really not something I'd personally be interested in, so I recognize that I'm not considering a lot of things.

More choice for motherboards (x99) and it would allow me to put dual 240mm radiators with no clearance issues. Those are the main two reasons.

Also I believe it was mentioned the hight increase would be 61mm correct? This would allow for mounting the resevoir/pump combo in the bottom of the case to the bottom radiator. This would still give me the ability to install a card as far down as the third pci-e slot. Assuming the 61mm increase with a 30mm rad and standard 25mm fans that leaves me 89mm to the bottom of the third pci-e slot. Mounting the res/pump this way will also allow me to have it shown off with just the standard window (if one is made and is the same as the other one running the bottom of the side panel) and not have to mod a side panel with an L shaped window.

Last edited:

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
For the Atx variant, would it be possible to put a mock up of both designs side by side to see the difference in size? It's hard to picture a 2.5'ish inch difference.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Considering that before I found this case, the Prodigy was my first choice, this is perfection. The difference is so small that I might as well get the ATX version just for ease of adaptability for the components.

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
@Aibohphobia DAMN.

The ATX version really isn't that much of a step-up in size.
As others have mentioned, with more motherboard options available this is even more appealing!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
In liters, and being very rough, M1 -> Cerberus -> Cerberus ATX Edition is something like 12 -> 18 -> 22.

Also, for the ATX edition, just bear in mind that PSU supports works identically to that of Cerberus proper. So it would be recommended to use SFX/SFX-L up front, but you'd have the option to do ATX if you were willing to sacrifice CPU cooler height and use of the side mounts.

That's a much heftier restriction for the ATX motherboard form factor than for mATX. That said, with 750W SFX-L units now available, I suppose a lot of folks can make it work just fine. (Plus, I mean, just look at the thing - for ATX, it's ludicrously tiny for the sorts of components you can fit in it)

Reactions: alamilla

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
Not yet, the Samsung 950 Pro 1TB is expected later this year (their words) and I'm expecting Micron/Crucial to finally show something worthy of a competitor some time this year too. I can't believe all those companies are just leaving the market all for Samsung.

Some new competition on the horizon, finally. Too bad the SSD isn't available.
Just an FYI, reviews are stating that the new OCZ RD400 is a rebranded XG3 for the consumer.

Anandtech's review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10328/the-toshiba-ocz-rd400-pcie-ssd-review

Pricing seems to be in line with the 950 other than the 1TB option :/

Reactions: Phuncz

alamilla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 11, 2016
With Computex on the horizon I was hoping to see more updated X99 mATX/ITX motherboards but thus far, every press release has been for ATX/E-ATX.
Unfortunately, my dream mATX board with three PCIe 3.0 slots, m.2 PCIe x4 (and/or U.2 in place of SATA Express) and USB Type-C Gen 2 WITH Thunderbolt 3

...still escapes me.

Reactions: Lehani

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I want the same board... That's why there are people asking for an ATX version of the Kimera Cerberus, because manufacturers aren't focused on mATX X99 boards anymore it seems.

Reactions: Lehani and alamilla