Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
According to me the best thing of all for a Special Edition would be an engraved logo on the front panel... Take a look at the AmigaOne X1000 as an example.

Engraving a panel wouldn't work since it's painted, but I like the idea of a little badge that can be attached anywhere there's Infinite Vents. You can put it where you'd like or just remove it.

Another thing could be a special color that won't be used again in the future.

That would be a bummer for folks that don't like the color we pick, though - and someone could just order a case with that color as custom after the fact.

Edit: wow this is the message number 1000: did I win something? ;-)

Here you go... a free (image of a) puppy on a flying carpet!!!!!11!!one!!11

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Since the case is steel, you could have the special edition plate attach to the case with magnets. It could be placed just about anywhere on or in the case without adding additional holes or being available solely on mountable surfaces.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Since the case is steel, you could have the special edition plate attach to the case with magnets. It could be placed just about anywhere on or in the case without adding additional holes or being available solely on mountable surfaces.

So a KI fridge magnet, huh? That seems a little too "non-permanent" for installation on a PC case. Can't really explain it any better :/

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
Has anyone thought of a laser engraving on the case? I remember Apple engraving iPods back in the day for free.

An engraving (if available) would be cheaper than a plate or a serial number cut out or any other sign on the case, wouldn't it?

Lehani

Minimal Tinkerer
May 22, 2016
havent been reading the whole topic :p

but DAMN!!!!! let me order a case :)

the one with side window is my favorite :) what are the status for orders?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What about hammering a serial number on a small copper plate with number punch ? The plate could be riveted at the back of the case.

Lovely idea, that could look extremely nice and give an additional premium feel to the case! I think it should be screwed, though. That would allow users to customise the badge like many did with the Compact Splash a little easier, else you'd have to drill the rivets out.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Lovely idea, that could look extremely nice and give an additional premium feel to the case! I think it should be screwed, though. That would allow users to customise the badge like many did with the Compact Splash a little easier, else you'd have to drill the rivets out.

There's a perfect place for that ...

Reactions: candyman and Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Has anyone thought of a laser engraving on the case? I remember Apple engraving iPods back in the day for free.

Laser engraving doesn't work as well with powder coats as it does with anodized aluminum.

Could you post a tl;dr in the first post on this thread of what has happened since the kickstarter, and what is happening now?

I'll add a little something so people know we're still on track for production.

Reactions: Pat-Roner

Mascott

Minimal Tinkerer
May 24, 2016
First post here, really hope you can release a atx version of Cerberus at the same time as the Marx one, have bin looking for a sweet case like this and wish you all luck with getting it out there to the masses! :-)

Vidjagames72

Chassis Packer
Apr 5, 2016
Quick question. I want to do hardline tubing but a thought popped into my head. I want this to be a portable system, would that kind of tubing be ok? I don't want to constantly worry about tubing possibly coming out of the fittings and spilling all over while transporting it.

I don't think walking around with it (using the handle) would be an issue, my worry is driving with it. I don't think there would be an issue but want a second opinion. Both cpu and gpu in the loop and laying down while in the car (motherboard side of the case down). So do you guys think it will be fine?

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016
Quick question. I want to do hardline tubing but a thought popped into my head. I want this to be a portable system, would that kind of tubing be ok? I don't want to constantly worry about tubing possibly coming out of the fittings and spilling all over while transporting it.

I don't think walking around with it (using the handle) would be an issue, my worry is driving with it. I don't think there would be an issue but want a second opinion. Both cpu and gpu in the loop and laying down while in the car (motherboard side of the case down). So do you guys think it will be fine?

For peace of mind, I'd recommend using soft tubing, especially if this is your first water cooling project. Soft tubing won't look worse if the runs are managed well and will be easier to implement in a tighter enclosure.

Reactions: tedlas

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Just think of it this way - there's a reason that cars have the tubing that they do. Anything that is hardline has flared fittings and is made of copper or aluminium so can flex somewhat, anything that needs any real flex to it uses flexible rubber hoses.

Reactions: Phuncz

Theelichtje

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2016
Besides, if you use soft tubing, you can use the side bracket to mount a radiator there, with hard tubing this is impossible.

Leinahtan

Efficiency Noob
Mar 2, 2016
Man I'm still so hyped about this case that I've also fully planned how I'm going to do a hard line water cooling loop in it :p
Keep the updates coming!