Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I'd be looking at a really very expensive option.

It won't be really cheap but as long as the powder isn't an exotic multi-coat it shouldn't be outrageously expensive.

Perhaps I could get non-coated one then?

There is some interest in bare metal cases but we're not sure if we'll offer that due to logistics and a few other issues.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
The C14S does fit, I'm currently using it and I've test fitted the Cyrorig H7 which just barely fits with the side bracket removed. I couldn't test performance though since it does not support LGA 2011.

That is good news. I waiting for the Broadwell-E and the 1070 so I have time to wait for this case as well :)

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
It won't be really cheap but as long as the powder isn't an exotic multi-coat it shouldn't be outrageously expensive.

There is some interest in bare metal cases but we're not sure if we'll offer that due to logistics and a few other issues.

Given that I'm not going for a window, and rarely if ever open my cases, RAL7016 will have to do then :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe an idea, if not already said or thought of: the Cerberus could be offered in black and white standard colors, along with a "limited edition" 50 or 100 case run of a specific color, which changes with each production run (if more than one production run). along with the option of making a custom color order ofcourse. But this might make it more manageable logistics-wise and make a non-monochromatic color available at a lesser cost because of reduced fragmentation.

Reactions: Commissariat

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would 1 or 2 of these Prolimatech 140mm Ultra Sleek Vortex High Performance Fans fit on the bottom or front side of the frame? They're 140mm fans with 120mm mounting points.

Cerberus has 140mm mounting points across the Infinite Vents :p So we support 140mm fans on the bottom, front, and side bracket.

Specifically, two can fit on the bottom and one on the bottom front, if you have a SFX PSU (With SFX-L it will be really close - protruding power plugs can interfere with the fan if they're too close to the front of the enclosure). One can fit on the side bracket, above the motherboard.

Maybe an idea, if not already said or thought of: the Cerberus could be offered in black and white standard colors, along with a "limited edition" 50 or 100 case run of a specific color, which changes with each production run (if more than one production run). along with the option of making a custom color order of course. But this might make it more manageable logistics-wise and make a non-monochromatic color available at a lesser cost because of reduced fragmentation.

It's an interesting idea. I think Aiboh and I very much want any and all colors on offer to be the same price, though, and that coupled with custom orders would cover anything a customer might want.

Would there be something other than color that folks might want for a "special edition"?

Commissariat

Caliper Novice
Jun 20, 2015
Would there be something other than color that folks might want for a "special edition"?

I remember someone asked about serial numbers or some kind of signature engraved somewhere in the case. Would that be possible to do for the first run? Something to differentiate it from the following runs (if there are to be more runs, I certainly hope there will be!) and to reward folks who have been following the project for a long time with a little something to show off their support.

Last edited:
Reactions: tedlas

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I remember someone asked about serial numbers ranging or some kind of signature engraved somewhere in the case. Would that be possible to do for the first run? Something to differentiate it from the following runs (if there are to be more runs, I certainly hope there will be!) and to reward folks who have been following the project for a long time with a little something to show off their support.

An engraving won't be practical for various reasons, but I've been thinking of a way to provide something special for the folks who are first to purchase an enclosure. We'll see what we can do! :)

Any other ideas?

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Cerberus has 140mm mounting points across the Infinite Vents :p So we support 140mm fans on the bottom, front, and side bracket.

Specifically, two can fit on the bottom and one on the bottom front, if you have a SFX PSU (With SFX-L it will be really close - protruding power plugs can interfere with the fan if they're too close to the front of the enclosure). One can fit on the side bracket, above the motherboard.

Well you've just settled my month long fan hunt :D. These will make that industrial look "pop."

http://www.performance-pcs.com/prol...an-b-aluminum-b-series-green-led.html#Details

**Edit**
I'm debating on having custom screws made by http://www.metricscrews.us/ . I'll be getting bolt headed screws. What are the standoff screw specs? Any suggested sizes to get?

I really think it would complete the industrial look I'm going for by placing these on: fans, rad, pump, mobo, 3.5 drive rack, and psu. Possibly with rubber washers to reduce vibration.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm debating on having custom screws made by http://www.metricscrews.us/ . I'll be getting bolt headed screws. What are the standoff screw specs? Any suggested sizes to get?

I really think it would complete the industrial look I'm going for by placing these on: fans, rad, pump, mobo, 3.5 drive rack, and psu. Possibly with rubber washers to reduce vibration.

I don't have that spec handy so I'll let Aiboh answer. Just want to say that I really, really hope you post a build log for that :D I think that sort of look will work really well with Cerberus. You can go really clean and understated, but you can go entirely in the other direction and do something like you're imagining. I think both styles will work well.

How about a Bat-signal light embedded in the I/O top panel that shines the Kimera Industries logo on the wall or ceiling ? Only half serious.

The day we do anything remotely that ostentatious or gaudy is the day I hope everyone boycotts us :p

Would a laser-cut metal plate (powder-coated the same color as the case or left raw) be feasible? Perhaps with screw holes so that it could either be mounted to a pre-determined spot on the frame or any place that has Infinite Vents?

That may or may not have been what I've been envisioning...

Don't know what the cost is yet, though. I wouldn't expect it to be much. I think a nice "First Edition" or "Signature Edition" or - dare I call it - "Founder's Edition" badge would be neat.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
@PlayfulPhoenix i just have to say, it's awesome to have your interest! I'll make sure to keep the log detailed as possible; should be a fun read considering that this will be my first rig haha. I was also tossing the idea around about an engraved metal plate as well like Commissariat mentioned.

When mounting rads and fans to the infinite vents, do the screws usually match the vent pattern or do they require nuts to properly secure them to the frame?

Reactions: Commissariat

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll be getting bolt headed screws. What are the standoff screw specs? Any suggested sizes to get?

The motherboard standoffs are M3x0.5, the same thread used for 2.5" drives. 5-6mm length would be sufficient.

When mounting rads and fans to the infinite vents, do the screws usually match the vent pattern or do they require nuts to properly secure them to the frame?

The vent pattern matches 92mm and 120mm fan mounting hole spacing.

Anthony

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2015
Unfortunately it looks like my hunt for screws is still on. They would have minimum orders of 100 for each size; however the fan screws would be completely custom and require a minimum of 2500 pieces ordered. Their customer service was spectacular though.

I've already written most of the manufacturers about their screw specs so at least I have that information now. I'll probably have to find bolts at a local hardware store and use those. If I find any with a thin enough diameter, I'd have to use nuts on the opposite side to keep the fans and rad in place. I'm not sure if that will be a good look for the outside of the case though.

If anyone happens by some nice industrial looking screws, drop me a message!

I need unc 6-32 for the rad, I'm assuming the fans as well.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

The SFX PSU bracket has the SFX PSU cutout offset towards the side of the fan bracket, which makes me think that an installed SFX PSU blocks some surface area of a fan or radiator that would be mounted there. Would it be possible to modify the bracket so it can be offset to either side ? I'm guessing the offset is to allow the install of 2,5" drives on the motherboard tray but I'm guessing not everyone will need this and would be happy with the extra fan/radiator space at the front.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I need unc 6-32 for the rad, I'm assuming the fans as well.

Fans usually use self-tapping screws, so if you want machine screws, you'll absolutely have to go down the route of using nuts on the opposite end.

Would it be possible to modify the bracket so it can be offset to either side ? I'm guessing the offset is to allow the install of 2,5" drives on the motherboard tray but I'm guessing not everyone will need this and would be happy with the extra fan/radiator space at the front.

There are two issues with this, maybe more. First, offsetting the PSU towards the mainboard tray blocks the hole for the front I/O cabling, and I'm not sure whether there's enough space on the other side to add a similar cutout without compromising mounting options for fans. Second, even if you offset the PSU to the back, what would you gain? A fan installed in that location would only have a few mms before touching the PSU, so its airflow would be severely limited, maybe it's not enough to even get a 25mm fan in there in the first place.

candyman

Caliper Novice
Mar 27, 2016
According to me the best thing of all for a Special Edition would be an engraved logo on the front panel... Take a look at the AmigaOne X1000 as an example.

Another thing could be a special color that won't be used again in the future.

Edit: wow this is the message number 1000: did I win something? ;-)

Last edited: