Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The Jonsbo RM1 and RM2 are slightly smaller (22 and 21.5L respectively), but they only have six slots and the airflow looks rubbish.

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot about those.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh damn, now I want the "Cerberus X" (because "XL" seems ironic for an SFF case) !

I can't wait to find what you guys have been up to.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
The Jonsbo RM1 and RM2 are slightly smaller (22 and 21.5L respectively), but they only have six slots and the airflow looks rubbish.

And of course there's also the beauty that was the GTR Tech GT3 at 13L, but that only had two slots.

Oh damn, now I want the "Cerberus X" (because "XL" seems ironic for an SFF case) !

Strictly speaking, it wouldn't be SFF anymore so the name would be quite fitting. But "Cerberus M" and "Cerberus X" have a certain vibe, I agree with that.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Oh damn, now I want the "Cerberus X"

I can neither confirm nor deny that "Cerberus X" is the name we had decided on for a hypothetical ATX Cerberus >.>

And of course there's also the beauty that was the GTR Tech GT3 at 13L, but that only had two slots.

Talk about a unicorn, I don't think I've ever seen a build log with one of those.

Reactions: Phuncz

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I can neither confirm nor deny that "Cerberus X" is the name we had decided on for a hypothetical ATX Cerberus >.>

Reactions: Isomer

artimaeus

Apprentice
Apr 13, 2016
I didn't know there was going to be an ATX version. Are there going to be any changes to cooling support for that version?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I didn't know there was going to be an ATX version. Are there going to be any changes to cooling support for that version?

There could be an ATX version, but we have no guarantee or announcement or anything to that end. We've (mostly Aiboh) been considering it openly since making it would literally just mean making the case taller.

Other than the fact that it would have more PCI slots, it wouldn't be any different. Haven't done the math to see how many fans and radiators and such would fit up front, but support at the bottom and side would be identical.

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Other than the fact that it would have more PCI slots, it wouldn't be any different. Haven't done the math to see how many fans and radiators and such would fit up front, but support at the bottom and side would be identical.

At this point I'm leaning to 8-slots instead of just 7 in order to preserve the same fan/rad/drive mounting that is possible on Cerberus. So that would mean a ~61mm height increase.

That won't dramatically increase the front mounting options, it would mostly just make certain configurations that would be difficult in Cerberus (dual 240mm rads primarily) easier.

Brian

Caliper Novice
Feb 5, 2016
There could be an ATX version, but we have no guarantee or announcement or anything to that end. We've (mostly Aiboh) been considering it openly since making it would literally just mean making the case taller.

Thats all good for the future but please get me the mATX version first, I already made the build for my VIVE. Im using a temporary Thermaltake V21 since it was cheap and small, but not small enough, Im dying to transplant it into Cerberus. First kickstater backer here ;)

How much longer do you estimate?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thats all good for the future but please get me the mATX version first, I already made the build for my VIVE. Im using a temporary Thermaltake V21 since it was cheap and small, but not small enough, Im dying to transplant it into Cerberus. First kickstater backer here ;)

Trust me, I'm feeling just as impatient. (This isn't helping either...)

Any of our musings or work on an ATX variant have zero impact on Cerberus. We're in the midst of hammering out final business details and the minutiae of the design, but as there's a lot of back and forth, we've got moments to fill, basically :p

How much longer do you estimate?

I could give broad guidance about this now, or much more specific guidance pretty soon, so I'll stick with the latter. But we're in a very good place, everyone involved wants to move quickly, and some decisions will expedite things a lot.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
For now, I, like Brian, have a temporary case with my new MATX build and a Corsair SF600 PSU.
Bring it on! (soon pls?)

If it's any consolation, I have no build at all - just a laptop currently. That 1080 is really tempting me to put a parts list together, though...

A quick update: we've been making progress on the business side, and the updated model for Cerberus is essentially complete. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to share a few developments by the end of the week, so you may notice some messages on Kickstarter and the newsletter to that end if that turns out.

Reactions: tedlas and alamilla

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for the update!
Plis post moar updates!

We'll be doing this moving forward, but that's mostly a function of us having more to share :p The good news is that we'll really be able to hit the gas on things once we get started, as much of the logistics and other things are already resolved this go-around.

Reactions: tedlas

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm happy to share that we've passed along the final CAD models and design to our manufacturer today! Things have been moving along pretty quickly, and we're happy with the current pace.

We should have further updates pretty soon.

GODenergy

Minimal Tinkerer
May 13, 2016
I'm happy to share that we've passed along the final CAD models and design to our manufacturer today! Things have been moving along pretty quickly, and we're happy with the current pace.

When is the soonest people can get their hands on this case? I have an mATX x99 build ATM and preordered the Ncase but cancelled.

I want the power of mATX but a smaller form factor than the hideous cases that are in the market. If it will be too long , I may just have to go mITX then.

The 980ti classified is 5.94 inches in height; Cerberus says 5.906" (150mm) PCI "height" overall, would the 980ti classified EVGA fit?

Isomer

Trash Compacter
Feb 10, 2016

Were there any significant changes in design?