Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Softdrink

Cable Smoosher
Feb 27, 2018
Well then, that's interesting. My case doesn't have any of the holes in the frame. Not a huge deal, but curious. Most curious indeed.

Looking at the official product photos, they also aren't shown, now that I take a closer look. Perhaps there has been a revision? @KSliger ?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Anyone submits a Cerberus + Pet picture gets automatic status on the product page.

If your picture is on there and want credit please PM me! (I saved them over time and forgot who posted.)

Also if anyone has a size comparison picture, would love to put those up.
In terms of size comparison, here is my example versus fractal design node 202

Alfvin

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 1, 2018
Hello, been wanting to get a wood top panel for my Cerberus X ever since the prototypes were first teased. I read in this thread's announcement post that the panels are mounted via the handle kit, which are to be included with the panels. However, I've noticed on the website that the panels are sold without them. As I did not order a handle hit with my original Cerberus X purchase, would I still need to buy a handle kit as well in order to mount the wood panel?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hello, been wanting to get a wood top panel for my Cerberus X ever since the prototypes were first teased. I read in this thread's announcement post that the panels are mounted via the handle kit, which are to be included with the panels. However, I've noticed on the website that the panels are sold without them. As I did not order a handle hit with my original Cerberus X purchase, would I still need to buy a handle kit as well in order to mount the wood panel?

It can be "rested" on top the chassis if you do not have the handle, it will stay in position as it has grooves along edges to sit in between the panels and weight keeps it flat. Handle isn't required, but screw holes will show.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger, what about zip-tie holes in MB tray? Is it earlier or later version that has the holes?

That's most recent revision. Changed the chassis screws to rivets, the press in hardware ties to these slotted cutouts, and removed the blank cutouts behind the SSDs. Revision changes are tracked on the bottom of the Specifications tab. No changes have been or will be made that affect component mounting in any way, everything is compatible regardless of revision.

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Steve of Gamer's Nexus? He does tear through obvious practical flaws (CM H500P, Bitfenix Enso), but I like that he's extremely honest
Kylewit and Jayz2c and Paul's and LTT, definitely

First out-of-the-gate question would probably be that dollar tag, which I feel it's something I could probably justify for myself but hard to justify to others in-person... (then again it's the same-ish ballpark with the early-gen crew that did the DAN A4 and the DZ Sentry and NCase M1 and NFC S4)

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
No we have everything really optimized at this point. Now we're on to reviews and marketing once KI is fully transitioned to Joshua.

Do you plan on making the motherboard standoffs removable?

I had to dremel away one of my standoffs since the motherboard I used did not have all the holes an ATX board normally has.

Just curious, super happy with the case ^^

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Do you plan on making the motherboard standoffs removable?

I had to dremel away one of my standoffs since the motherboard I used did not have all the holes an ATX board normally has.

Just curious, super happy with the case ^^

What board is that? Which standoff?

No plans for removable standoffs, stoaked you're happy, post your build when you can!

Johnny0971

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2017
What board is that? Which standoff?

No plans for removable standoffs, stoaked you're happy, post your build when you can!

It is the Gigabyte X399 Designare EX, missing the middle hole in the top row, there is a heatsink where it should be.

I used a dremel to remove the standoff in the case to make sure it did not make contact with the PCB.

I would have loved seeing the MB standoffs being screwed in with a supplied tool or head for screwdriver, so that I did not have to dremel it : P

Other than that I'm happy as can be!