Production case SX1 6.8L / SX2 7.5L by Custom_MOD

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
How do you like these aluminum frame legs. The height of the legs is 8mm. Rubberized base. The best air flow at the bottom of the hull!

I feel like they should be more angular to fit with the style of the case and also be painted the same color to blend in more easily

Reactions: Mtthwmths

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
How do you like these aluminum frame legs. The height of the legs is 8mm. Rubberized base. The best air flow at the bottom of the hull!

just saw on the form you have them in black, can you send pictures here? I may add them to my order... ;)

Ernurse

What's an ITX?
Oct 22, 2017
Hi All,

I just received my case and wanted to post my review/comments. I ordered a custom case based on the sfx mini. My goal wasn’t to get the smallest possible case. Rather, the goal was to make a balanced case that fit my specific components while also having some kind of ventilation. The changes I made to the standard sfx mini were as follows:

1) Turn the PSU 90 degrees so the fan is facing to the front of the case. This made the case wider but shorter.
2) Shorten the case to fit Zotac 1080ti mini
3) Add space for 2x 120x120x15mm fans on the top
4) I asked Sergii to modify dimensions/layout as he saw fit to accommodate the components. He ended up putting the fans on the bottom of the case and modifying the final dimensions to roughly: 283mm deep x 203mm high x 135mm wide

Sergii was very responsive and accommodating. I drew out my case pretty carefully from every side to give him as much info as possible about what I wanted. I figured that was the best way to avoid confusion.

Sergii is a custom builder. He does not mass produce these cases. Realize that and be ready to wait. If you want a case quick, overnight yourself something from Amazon. I knew I would have to wait so I got a cheap SG05 ($50) to have a working rig while waiting for the one from Sergii.

I placed the order on 10/24/2017 (batch 8). On 1/27/2018 I got an email from Sergii that there were some issues with dimensions and the components did not fit as planned. He had to redo some parts. The final case shipped on 3/13/18 and I received it on 3/30/18 (Miami). I had no issues with the wait at all. My dimensions were completely custom so I realized there could be some issues.

The case was packed very well. I was pretty impressed with the powder coating and overall feel of the case. It is heavier than I expected and the panels are much thicker than in the SG05. The dimensions are very accurate so make sure you order correctly. Here are some general comments and suggestions for improvement:

1) Some of the edges are very sharp (especially internal frame). It would be great if they could be rounded or filed down slightly.
2) The screw holes in the panels align pretty well. Some require an extra pressure to align but I think ultimately that actually helps keep all the panels ‘tightly’ together.
3) The screws seem pretty low quality and I'm worried that if I need to unscrew/screw them a few times, they'll strip. You can always order your own m3 screws.
4) The holes in the case are mostly m3. Considering that the panels are 2mm thick, it would probably be better to use thicker/longer screws for the panels.
5) The side panels have 1 screw in the middle (top and bottom). It would be better to have 2 screws at roughly 1/3rd of the length of the panel rather than one in the middle. It would make the panels align better. I'm not sure how many screws the standard case has. This could only be an issue with my case since my side panels are considerably shorter.
6) The rear IO cutout is about 1mm too big on every side. This made putting the IO shield a little bit tricky because it kept poping out of the cutout. After a few tries I aligned it so it stays but it will probably come out if I touch it a few times.

My final build:
CPU: i7-8700
MB: ASRock Z370 itx Gaming
RAM: 32GB
GPU: Zotac 1080ti mini
PZU: Corsair SF450
SSD: M2 Samsung
CPU Cooler: Big Shuriken V2 with Noctua NF-A12x15 fan
Case Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12x15 fans

BTW, This post ended up being longer than I expected. Sorry :)

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Hi All,

I just received my case and wanted to post my review/comments. I ordered a custom case based on the sfx mini. My goal wasn’t to get the smallest possible case. Rather, the goal was to make a balanced case that fit my specific components while also having some kind of ventilation. The changes I made to the standard sfx mini were as follows:

1) Turn the PSU 90 degrees so the fan is facing to the front of the case. This made the case wider but shorter.
4) I asked Sergii to modify dimensions/layout as he saw fit to accommodate the components. He ended up putting the fans on the bottom of the case and modifying the final dimensions to roughly: 283mm deep x 203mm high x 135mm wide

Sergii was very responsive and accommodating. I drew out my case pretty carefully from every side to give him as much info as possible about what I wanted. I figured that was the best way to avoid confusion.

Sergii is a custom builder. He does not mass produce these cases. Realize that and be ready to wait. If you want a case quick, overnight yourself something from Amazon. I knew I would have to wait so I got a cheap SG05 ($50) to have a working rig while waiting for the one from Sergii.

I placed the order on 10/24/2017 (batch 8). On 1/27/2018 I got an email from Sergii that there were some issues with dimensions and the components did not fit as planned. He had to redo some parts. The final case shipped on 3/13/18 and I received it on 3/30/18 (Miami). I had no issues with the wait at all. My dimensions were completely custom so I realized there could be some issues.

The case was packed very well. I was pretty impressed with the powder coating and overall feel of the case. It is heavier than I expected and the panels are much thicker than in the SG05. The dimensions are very accurate so make sure you order correctly. Here are some general comments and suggestions for improvement:

1) Some of the edges are very sharp (especially internal frame). It would be great if they could be rounded or filed down slightly.
2) The screw holes in the panels align pretty well. Some require an extra pressure to align but I think ultimately that actually helps keep all the panels ‘tightly’ together.
3) The screws seem pretty low quality and I'm worried that if I need to unscrew/screw them a few times, they'll strip. You can always order your own m3 screws.
4) The holes in the case are mostly m3. Considering that the panels are 2mm thick, it would probably be better to use thicker/longer screws for the panels.
5) The side panels have 1 screw in the middle (top and bottom). It would be better to have 2 screws at roughly 1/3rd of the length of the panel rather than one in the middle. It would make the panels align better. I'm not sure how many screws the standard case has. This could only be an issue with my case since my side panels are considerably shorter.
6) The rear IO cutout is about 1mm too big on every side. This made putting the IO shield a little bit tricky because it kept poping out of the cutout. After a few tries I aligned it so it stays but it will probably come out if I touch it a few times.

My final build:

Many thanks for your opinion. I really work hard to improve. Your feedback will help make my cases better. Thank you friend!

Reactions: Mtthwmths

rudy44

Average Stuffer
Aug 31, 2017
Hi All,

My final build:

do post some photos!

rindoze

Cable Smoosher
Mar 18, 2018
I just recieved my batch 12 sfx mini, but I ordered with the dimensions the 6.8L uses. I centered my build around trying to use the 92mm Asetek AIO system in the front bottom. I was able to get it to fit with one modification which I hope Sergiiua can address:

The angled plug that goes into the PSU is very thick and bulky, by shaving it down I was able to move the entire PSU unit about a 1 cm higher in the case. If a thinner cable can be sourced, or perhaps just 3 terminals soldered to the cable to plug into the PSU, than this modification can be made standard.

This gave me just enough room to fit the 92mm AIO and thin fan. It could also allow room for more SSDs instead. Otherwise the quality of the case was better than expected, only gripes I had were that the motherboard IO shield hole was not cut to the right size (to tall of a hole and slightly tilted), the aluminum used is very soft, and I didn't get a light up button like I asked. Also I thought I was going to get the custom mod cuttout on the front of the case by default but it seems it must be requested.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
I just recieved my batch 12 sfx mini, but I ordered with the dimensions the 6.8L uses. I centered my build around trying to use the 92mm Asetek AIO system in the front bottom. I was able to get it to fit with one modification which I hope Sergiiua can address:

The angled plug that goes into the PSU is very thick and bulky, by shaving it down I was able to move the entire PSU unit about a 1 cm higher in the case. If a thinner cable can be sourced, or perhaps just 3 terminals soldered to the cable to plug into the PSU, than this modification can be made standard.

This gave me just enough room to fit the 92mm AIO and thin fan. It could also allow room for more SSDs instead. Otherwise the quality of the case was better than expected, only gripes I had were that the motherboard IO shield hole was not cut to the right size (to tall of a hole and slightly tilted), the aluminum used is very soft, and I didn't get a light up button like I asked. Also I thought I was going to get the custom mod cuttout on the front of the case by default but it seems it must be requested.
Hello.

In the batch 12 and 13 there were no cases of SFC mini 5.9L. So you just got a case of at least 6.4L.

We have long been looking for an internal cable with a corner connector. So far we have not found a compact solution.

thiagottjv

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2018

Pictures, please!!!
The "mod" you did on the PSU and the AIO.

rindoze

Cable Smoosher
Mar 18, 2018
Pictures, please!!!
The "mod" you did on the PSU and the AIO.

Chopped the plug off then soldered onto the leads, need to glob on some non-conductive paste onto them.

Good clearance now for a fan, but when the PSU cables are plugged in only a slim would fit, may mod the PSU cables to be shorter to fit a full height fan in the future.

Drilled some new holes to move the PSU up, was unable to use the rear mount on the bracket so cut it off

Cut the case up trying to mount the rad sideways, once I moved PSU up I could mount the rad normally. Sad I didn't try that before cutting :(

Was thinking something like this on the ends of the PSU cable directly plugged into each of the 3 PSU prongs could also work

Reactions: loader963

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
^ Dude that first pic just looks like a fire hazard to my untrained eye lol!!!

Just teasing and know nothing about electricity. But that pic just looks wild to me.

sergiiua

Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com

Chopped the plug off then soldered onto the leads, need to glob on some non-conductive paste onto them.

Good clearance now for a fan, but when the PSU cables are plugged in only a slim would fit, may mod the PSU cables to be shorter to fit a full height fan in the future.

Drilled some new holes to move the PSU up, was unable to use the rear mount on the bracket so cut it off

Cut the case up trying to mount the rad sideways, once I moved PSU up I could mount the rad normally. Sad I didn't try that before cutting :(

Was thinking something like this on the ends of the PSU cable directly plugged into each of the 3 PSU prongs could also work

Please insulate exposed contacts.

Reactions: crazydave48

Tachy

Cable Smoosher
Aug 20, 2017
Would it be possible to get a vertical-orientation case ordered, with all the IO on the top, and feet on what is now the front?