Production case SX1 6.8L / SX2 7.5L by Custom_MOD

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Any plans to make a version with only mini GPU support? If the power supply is rotated 90 degrees so that the fan is facing to the front of the case, the dimensions would be around 250 x 130 x 180, which is about 5.8 L.

This would allow:
- CPU coolers up to 65mm like Big Shuriken 2 / AXP-100 / L9x65
- OR keep the 44/48mm CPU height and instead create more room between the CPU and GPU boards (so the backside of the CPU die & GPU die get better cooling)
- Possible front panel intake for PSU fan (again better airflow/cooling)
- Different (IMO even better) aesthetics because of the reduced length of the case.

Of course, this would drop full-sized GPU support in favor of the mini-ITX GPUs, but it might be a nice alternative for people with those cards.

I have no experience designing cases, so don't hesitate to shoot the idea down! Just thinking out loud.
If you want I can make you such a case:)

grantman102002

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
Any plans to make a version with only mini GPU support? If the power supply is rotated 90 degrees so that the fan is facing to the front of the case, the dimensions would be around 250 x 130 x 180, which is about 5.8 L.

This would allow:
- OR keep the 44/48mm CPU height and instead create more room between the CPU and GPU boards (so the backside of the CPU die & GPU die get better cooling)
- Different (IMO even better) aesthetics because of the reduced length of the case.

Of course, this would drop full-sized GPU support in favor of the mini-ITX GPUs, but it might be a nice alternative for people with those cards.

I have no experience designing cases, so don't hesitate to shoot the idea down! Just thinking out loud.
Wow, this sounds like a great idea! I love the idea of an SFX power supply, GTX 1070 itx card, and a 65mm cooler. If anyone can do it, its sergiiua!

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Sergii's really precise with his measurement, though. My Nitro 480's 42mm width is only 2mm more than the allowed specs and the case's side panel definitely can't close properly no matter how I try. But I think I'll still try squeezing in a Vega it when it's released :)

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Mar 29, 2017

This would allow:

+1 this idea. Quick view of the differences to the usual 5.92L to those who like visuals.

bowman9991

Trash Compacter
Jul 27, 2017
galacticbrain.com
I was hoping someone would say. "Yes, I have installed one and it works." :-)

A user reported that Sergiiua was VERY precise with his measurements, and with their 42mm wide RX Nitro card they were not able to squeeze the side panel on no matter what. 41mm could be extremely close, but that's up to the maker to confirm.

bowman9991

Trash Compacter
Jul 27, 2017
galacticbrain.com
No SSD. Using a m.2 attached to the motherboard.
I didn't want to choose a reference card, because they are usually a lot louder (especially with a small case).
But if I could find a 1080 ti non-reference graphics card that fitted REV 1.1 ok, I'd go with that...

You could try it, but it would be a costly mistake if it doesn't work. In using the mini card I gather your mounting SSD's or?

Last edited:

nxrUK

Trash Compacter
Mar 29, 2017
Haven't actually got my case yet, but the card does list it's dual slot width if that helps.

Quick tip as well: Never go local in Aus for video cards, Newegg is insanely cheaper.

Thanks nxrUK. Looks perfect! Can't find any measurements for width though? Height and length are ok.
L 267 mm x H 111mm Is this something you've used?

DazeHero

Case Bender
Apr 24, 2017
No SSD. Using a m.2 attached to the motherboard.
I didn't want to choose a reference card, because they are usually a lot louder (especially with a small case).
But if I could find a 1080 ti non-reference graphics card that fitted REV 1.1 ok, I'd go with that...
For small form factor cases, I would consider using a blower model. Because its a smaller form factor case the airflow will be poor and it might be better for the fan to suck in air and push it out of the case. Not sure if that is the case here but i'd give it some thought

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
For small form factor cases, I would consider using a blower model. Because its a smaller form factor case the airflow will be poor and it might be better for the fan to suck in air and push it out of the case. Not sure if that is the case here but i'd give it some thought
Normally this is true but in the case of the Dan Case (to which this is similar) users reported that there was not a lot of benefit to having a blower card because the ventilation was sufficient enough, and because its in its own compartment there is less risk of heat hitting the other components. Do you own research of course just my two cents.