BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
HI Guys,

I'm new to the SFF build community. Currently i'm looking into making a high-end build. For this I'm planning on using the new Skyreach S4 Mini.

Currently I have on my list:

CPU: Intel Core I7-8700, with a Noctua NH-L9i.
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Mini.
MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming.
RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage Black 32GB DDR4-2666 CL15
PSU: HDPLEX 400W with a Dell DA330PM111
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB and Samsung 960 evo 250GB

According to some research from the NFC system channel and Linus Tech Tips, this should work power wise and would also not be very noisy.

Now it would be nice to replace the following parts to:

CPU: Intel Core I7-8700K, with a Noctua NH-L9i.
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 TI Mini.

But for this I quess the Dell DA330PM111 wouldn't cut it at its regulair 330W. Now I have seen that there are some higher options, but they are like €400,- which is a bit insane.

Could any of you advice what would be needed (which would be silent and doesn't become extremly hot) that does the job, and does anyone know what the noise levels will be with a 8700K and 1080 TI?

Thank you in advance :)

Cheers,

Bryce

Last edited:

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017

@winterbladexx, I checked the post. Now I saw that the Eurocom was advised, but that is the same one as I reffered to as the €400,- option. But besides being very expansive it is also loud and needs to be modded.

I am looking for a more out of the box product (branded product with warrenty), since i'm no electronical engineer what so ever :), so modding is not a option.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Dear @BryceK

You can use G-Unique's top end brick + DC plugin unit to power an 8700K and 1080ti. It will work, and it is very easy to install. Drop-in, in fact. I've been using them for a couple months now for this combo. Gary warranties his work, but it is still MODDED electronics if that matters to you.

HOWEVER

I can't stress this enough...I do not recommend this build.

The MINI is the best venting itx (even matx) chassis I have tested, but even with the 8700K and 1080ti on an open test bench active air flow really is required or it will be too hot and too loud and just miserable.

Reactions: seto and Soul_Est

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Dear @BryceK

You can use G-Unique's top end brick + DC plugin unit to power an 8700K and 1080ti. It will work, and it is very easy to install. Drop-in, in fact. I've been using them for a couple months now for this combo. Gary warranties his work, but it is still MODDED electronics if that matters to you.

HOWEVER

I can't stress this enough...I do not recommend this build.

The MINI is the best venting itx (even matx) chassis I have tested, but even with the 8700K and 1080ti on an open test bench active air flow really is required or it will be too hot and too loud and just miserable.

Hi Josh | NFC,

Thank you for the info, always good to hear from the man himself :)

Would the build with the I7-8700 with a regulair 1080 work?
or just the replacement of the I7-8700 with the I7-8700K, While using the Dell 330W?

Hope to hear from you,

Kind regards,

Bryce

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi Josh,

Thank you for the info, always good to hear from the man himself :)

Would the build with the I7-8700 with a regulair 1080 work?
or just the replacement of the I7-8700 with the I7-8700K, While using the Dell 330W?

Hope to hear from you,

Kind regards,

Bryce

if you are into tuning and can deal with OC profiles and reloading them and stuff, then the 8700K is the better choice because of flexibility to overclock should you change cases or get into enthusiast grade liquid cooling.

If you want stability and an optimal MINI tune out of the box then buy the 8700 because the extra horsepower probably isn't going to make a noticeable real world difference

Regardless, a genuine Dell 330 should power a 8700K and 1080 mini fine.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hi Josh | NFC,

Thanks for the info :) I'm not really into the whole tuning, yet i'm capable to build a pc :)

The PC would mainly be used for Gaming and 3D moddeling (Game content creation, Objects for 3D printing, etc..)
But if a I7-8700K without tuning would also work out of the box with the Dell 330, I wouldn't mind spending the extra €50 to get it just for purpose sake.

Kind regards,

Bryce

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@BryceK - The HP FireBird VooDoo is hard to find, but can do 350W. That might be enough of a boost to keep you in the game?
@Josh | NFC - The 1080Ti is that hard to cool, eh? Has anyone taken on the twin 92mm GPU fan mod referenced from your skyreach video here?

A few people have done it for the 1080 in the S4M-C. I'm finishing up a video with the 1080ti with those fans. Hoping to have it out by the end of the week.

Hi Josh | NFC,

Thanks for the info :) I'm not really into the whole tuning, yet i'm capable to build a pc :)

The PC would mainly be used for Gaming and 3D moddeling (Game content creation, Objects for 3D printing, etc..)
But if a I7-8700K without tuning would also work out of the box with the Dell 330, I wouldn't mind spending the extra €50 to get it just for purpose sake.

Kind regards,

Bryce

It just depends on what you value. I value thermals much more than a slight increase in frequency. Best case scenario do you really need to finish your render in 9 minutes versus 10 minutes?

Best of luck deciding!

Reactions: Soul_Est
Mar 6, 2017
I think G-Unique also has a custom bezel allowing you to use twin 2x50mm radiators, that might help cooling a bit but it won't be magic.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Hi Josh | NFC,

Kind regards,

Bryce
You could go for the i7-8600K instead. Yes, it's not the 6-core, 12-thread monster that the i7-8700K is (an i7-7700K with two more cores) but the thermals would be better. That and either a 1070 or 1080 would do the trick. Would it be less performance than you'd like? Yes. Would it be better in the long term from a noise and usability perspective (less thermal throttling)? Yes.

In everything with hardware and software, you can tune one or the other or both to get the results that you want. If you're not willing to compromise on tuning the system, you may need to compreomise with your choice of hardware as the i7-8700K and 1080Ti are just too much heat in such a small space without some creative use of ducts (for which there is little room).

Reactions: Josh | NFC