[Advice Needed] PC resets itself

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

So a couple of weeks ago I build my first SFF pc, but it has been a painfull road so far.

First of the GPU I wanted to use (GPU from the Gigabyte Gamingbox 1080) made some really annoying fan noises and after trying two of them I switched to a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini today but came with this lovely coil whine.

Now I wanted to do some testing with games and for this I tryed Destiny 2. I can play the game on max settings with 200 FPS at ease (60 FPS with Vsync to reduce coil whine). But after about 5 to 10 minutes of playing my PC resets itself and sometimes but not often it just stops the game and that it.

I checked the temps, but those shouldn't be the issue I quess since CPU is at 50c and GPU at 59c, RAM, MOBO and SSD's at 40c.

Now I use the following build:

Intel core I7 8700
Noctua NH-L9I
Asus Strix Z370I ITX
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
Samsung 960 Pro NVMe
Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
16GB G.skill Trident 3200 MHz
HDplex 400w
Dell 330w brick
Skyreach S4M

For the record:

I already tryed with stock settings in bios, but same issue. While being undervolted (CPU) by 0,15v same issue. While underclocking the GPU, it did work a bit longer but eventually same issue.

Also I checked with 2 different Dell 330w bricks.

Hope you guys might have a solution :)

Last edited:

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
@SeñorDonut , Yes I got a kill-a-watt, on it, its max 209watts. Tryed it both with a without the kill-a-watt and same goes for the extention block, so all external electronics shouldn't be the issue.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
A kill-a-watt doesnt sample fast enough to catch the kind of spikes your GPU is likely causing. Also laptop power bricks are notorious for not having much headroom to deal w/ power spikes, a side effect of being designed to charge batteries as opposed to powering hardware directly. Also alot of people seem to be having issues running 1080's & 1080ti's off the Dell 330w brick, there just isnt enough juice there iirc.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
A kill-a-watt doesnt sample fast enough to catch the kind of spikes your GPU is likely causing. Also laptop power bricks are notorious for not having much headroom to deal w/ power spikes, a side effect of being designed to charge batteries as opposed to powering hardware directly. Also alot of people seem to be having issues running 1080's & 1080ti's off the Dell 330w brick, there just isnt enough juice there iirc.

So I need more power, or need to undervolt more so I have more power :)

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Hmm, TIL. Is there another consumer device that does?
Not that im aware of but I dont follow it all that closely either.

So I need more power, or need to undervolt more so I have more power
From what ive read across the forum the solution most people seem to be hitting on is a combination of the two but undervolting alone doesnt seem to be workable from what ive read. YMMV I suppose.