Log Balancing density and speed in a SFF build – can we have it all?

behas12893

What's an ITX?
New User
Sep 25, 2026
1
1
Hi everyone, I’ve been a long-time lurker here, constantly inspired by the sheer ingenuity in these cramped cases. I’m currently deep into planning a new SFF build and hit a bit of a wall regarding memory selection.

Specifically, I’m trying to decide if it’s better to push for tighter timings with a 32GB DDR4-6000MHz kit or if I should be looking at higher density modules to keep the system future-proof. I’ve read a lot of conflicting advice on whether the heat generated by pushing those higher speeds is worth the marginal gains in real-world productivity, especially when you have almost zero airflow in a sub-10L chassis.

In my previous workstation, I was running a much bulkier setup that handled PC5 48000 memory specs quite comfortably, but translating that kind of high-bandwidth performance into an SFF environment feels like a completely different beast. My personal experience has always been that "faster" isn't always "better" if it creates thermal instability that forces the CPU to downclock under load. I’m trying to find that sweet spot where I get enough capacity for multitasking without turning my case into a literal oven.

Do you find that memory speed makes a noticeable difference in your day-to-day SFF workflows, or do you prioritize stability and lower thermals above all else? How do you manage the heat load when using high-performance RAM kits in such tight spaces? I’d love to hear how you all are handling memory profiles to keep your builds both fast and cool!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mark13

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Guru
Nov 18, 2021
1,106
464
Germany
wp-devil.com
Guess it depends on your overall goal for the specific build.

Eg. mine is oriented towards portable workstations (CPU >= GPU). A lot on here might lean more towards the gaming spectrum (GPU > CPU).

Others again, may be looking for the smallest, but still decent system, possible (below 6L).

Yet another regular goal would be going small, but staying in "regular" spaces, ie. classic downsizing, eg. 45 to 20 L.

cu, w0lf.
 

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Guru
Nov 18, 2021
1,106
464
Germany
wp-devil.com
BTT: I haven't really dabbled into RAM oc'ing so far. It's like a post-build, optimization step, similar to UV + PLing your CPU + GPU.

From what I've read, recently, most people don't really do that, but even if not, they take care of cooling the RAM, eg. using larger fans - this 140 fan mod come to mind - or 40 mm ones for hot spot cooling.
 

Covuk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 13, 2023
105
110
As above, it depends on your use of the PC.

There is virtually no difference in gaming performance between 32GB or 64GB RAM and very few people use a system for "productivity" heavily enough to use over 32GB either.

I'd not spec over 32GB unless there's a demonstrable need for it. Buy the RAM speed/timings that are a good match for your CPU and cooling requirements. The DDR5 sweet spot for AM5 is 6000 with tight timings - CL30 or above. Intel can go higher (7000–8000+ MHz) but going higher is poor value in my view given the extra cost.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

SFF Guru
Nov 18, 2021
1,106
464
Germany
wp-devil.com
As above, it depends on your use of the PC.

There is virtually no difference in gaming performance between 32GB or 64GB RAM and very few people use a system for "productivity" heavily enough to use over 32GB either.

I'd not spec over 32GB unless there's a demonstrable need for it. Buy the RAM speed/timings that are a good match for your CPU and cooling requirements. The DDR5 sweet spot for AM5 is 6000 with tight timings - CL30 or above. Intel can go higher (7000–8000+ MHz) but going higher is poor value in my view given the extra cost.
Totally agree to that. If your use case is not workstation or other heavy compute, more than 32 GB of RAM is vastly wasted money, esp. with the current RAMaggedon situation.

I myself use 64 GB, but my system almost never exceeds even 32 GB. Might be different on Windows with its crappy memory optimization, but here, even with Firefox occassionally running amok, or the occassional video conversion job, the worst I had was 46 GB of usage.

On a regular, the whole system sits at maybe 6 - 8 GB (MX Linux, KDE 5, Firefox, Thunderbird, Strawberry). Right now, with Vivaldi + Twitch streaming, it officially sits at 17 GB, but uses less than half of it, the rest is cache (approx another half) and buffer (approx 3 - 4 GB).

cu, w0lf.