Log [in progress] I'm at it again - This time with a Lian Li Q58

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I didn't buy anything yet, this seems like an awesome product in my case! Do you think it will fit in the Q58?
The SR2 MP radiators are 60mm thick. While Lian Li for some reason don't list the max thickness for a radiators in the Q58, consider that 60mm is 5mm more than most AIO radiators with fans. Then you need to add 25mm fans to that (slim fans on a thick rad do not work well). That's 85mm+ (88mm if you go for Arctic P14s. I can't possibly see that fitting in there. It would have been awesome, but I don't see it happening.
Can I fill the loop through a reservoir (which is lower than the pump)? It means the pump will work without liquids for a few seconds...
The pump won't be able to pull liquid in if there's only air there. But the solution is relatively simple: fill the reservoir, (cap off the reservoir if needed) tilt the case so the liquid runs into the pump, start it, top up as needed. Repeat until the loop is bled. If your reservoir is lower than the pump, make sure that the outlet from the radiator is sufficiently low down that it still will catch air bubbles.

Reactions: LucyMorn

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
The SR2 MP radiators are 60mm thick. While Lian Li for some reason don't list the max thickness for a radiators in the Q58, consider that 60mm is 5mm more than most AIO radiators with fans. Then you need to add 25mm fans to that (slim fans on a thick rad do not work well). That's 85mm+ (88mm if you go for Arctic P14s. I can't possibly see that fitting in there. It would have been awesome, but I don't see it happening.

The pump won't be able to pull liquid in if there's only air there. But the solution is relatively simple: fill the reservoir, (cap off the reservoir if needed) tilt the case so the liquid runs into the pump, start it, top up as needed. Repeat until the loop is bled. If your reservoir is lower than the pump, make sure that the outlet from the radiator is sufficiently low down that it still will catch air bubbles.
Oh that makes sense. Pump moves liquid not air.

We have about 55 to 60mm for rad and fans, so no way that fits, like you said.

The res will be the lowest point in the loop (small res after the GPU), or the highest if I flip the case, so I guess I can easily fill through it.

How full does a loop need to be? Where do you suggest I stuck a drain port?

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
Nice build ,

I have just finished mine although a few adjustments to be made , also waiting on the other two mesh panels coming as i want to have all mesh.

Managed to put a 240 rad , 120 at the bottom , 3090fe , 5900x , ekwb kinetic pump and res in , just fits .

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Nice build ,

I have just finished mine although a few adjustments to be made , also waiting on the other two mesh panels coming as i want to have all mesh.

Managed to put a 240 rad , 120 at the bottom , 3090fe , 5900x , ekwb kinetic pump and res in , just fits .
Would love to see tons of photos :)

I think I will go with a 120rad at the bottom as well, problem is how to fill\drain it

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
P.s top pannel sits fine just because i was lisfting the glass , i want all mesh so just waiting on them arriving . Few tweeks yet i want to do.

DynoSore

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 14, 2021
Amazing builds @thoughtfix and @Teletubby89 !!

@thoughtfix Which slim 120mm fan are you using at the bottom? How did you manage to fit it in? I barely have any clearance after all the PSU connectors and cables.

Also, do you have any issues with front USB connectors and high-power consumption devices such as phones? I have the same mobo and CPU and I am experiencing frequent connects and disconnects on the front USB connectors.

Reactions: Teletubby89

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
My PSU Is the 750 Platinum corsair

I removed the two hooks in the inside of the case where the radiator is now sitting does not affect the hinges or sides in anyway i have found ( saves using a dremel or making a mess )

I then used the EK SE 120 on the bottom with the 120 noctua cromax screwed from bottom of the case , the radiator with that fan like that allows the room you need.

I also used the ekwb kinnectic pump and res fits like a charm only thing you need to do is the back pannel i pressed down a tad to give clearance.

Really happy with mine so far performs really well so far.

Cant comment on front USB etc not really used them as of yet.

I just use mine for gaming and general computing not into chasing figures but happy i made the switch from the ncase.

Just waiting on two more mesh pannels coming.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Amazing builds @thoughtfix and @Teletubby89 !!

@thoughtfix Which slim 120mm fan are you using at the bottom? How did you manage to fit it in? I barely have any clearance after all the PSU connectors and cables.

Also, do you have any issues with front USB connectors and high-power consumption devices such as phones? I have the same mobo and CPU and I am experiencing frequent connects and disconnects on the front USB connectors.

Thank you for the compliment! That's a Silverstone slim 120mm RGB PWM fan and it works fine but doesn't pump a ton of air. I haven't attempted high-power-draw through the front USB ports yet. No need: it's a VR box only.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Nice build ,

What kind of 120mm rad did you get to fit in the bottom? I tried a couple and they just collided with either the GPU or the front IO.

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
What kind of 120mm rad did you get to fit in the bottom? I tried a couple and they just collided with either the GPU or the front IO.
EK SE 120 on the bottom with the 120 noctua cromax screwed from bottom of the case , the radiator with that fan like that allows the room you need.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
I read all pages of this thread again, and couldn't decide.
What do you guys think is the best way to bleed a loop in this case assuming I will use the Aquanaut Extreme?

Teletubby89

Average Stuffer
Aug 2, 2020
Imo making it more complictaed for yourself , combo i had bleeding was no issue nor filling nor will it when coming to drain it.

Depends what you plan to put in the case.

LucyMorn

Trash Compacter
Nov 2, 2021
Imo making it more complictaed for yourself , combo i had bleeding was no issue nor filling nor will it when coming to drain it.

Depends what you plan to put in the case.
You are using a dedicated reservoir, of-course you had no issues. Issues starts when you don't have room for one, like in my case.

justkeevin

Chassis Packer
Sep 8, 2021
What do you guys think is the best way to bleed a loop in this case assuming I will use the Aquanaut Extreme?

I have 2 different fill/bleed ports. I have a T fitting on my GPU outlet and I just laid the case on the side to bleed for about a day or 2. On the other side I have an ek-quantum torque drain valve below my radiator outlet.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Bleeding using the fill ports on the AE will be challenging as there's no chance of air gathering at those ports while the pump is running. That means a lot of starting and stopping the pump to move and then remove air. I think I've suggested adding a flow indicator with the rotor removed before (EK has a nice looking one, or there are plenty of cheap options) as a micro-reservoir/bubble catcher. If you can get your hands on some bubble-catching foam to fill it with that's even better. These are so tiny they can fit in pretty much any loop. Even with QDCs in my loop, I love having this as a means of catching bubbles and getting the last air out of the loop, as it adds a bleed/fill/drain port as well, and is incredibly easy to mount as it can just be held up by the tubing or screwed into a convenient fitting with a m/m adapter. Adding something like this will save you a lot of hassle.

Josu

Cable Smoosher
Aug 15, 2021
I want to join your club
Now i am confused how to do it.
Never did any custom loops myself
Biggest question for me is pump and res, which can be used in this case