Motherboard ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac and AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

ssj

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 18, 2017
This board or the Gigabyte one?

I have read a few times now that the Asrock has bad V-drops (up to 0.09V).
The Gigabyte should have higher quality VRMs implemented, but what about the cooling?
Also GB has LLC to make things even more safe.

There is a difference with the VRMs between the X370 and the B350 version, should the X370 give me more stable voltage?

Ricdeau

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
Having owned both the Gigabyte and ASRock boards I can say that the vdroop on the ASRock was about the same as the vdroop on the Gigabyte with LLC on from what I recall. Neither board has great voltage regulation. In that regard I was pretty disappointed by both boards.

ssj

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 18, 2017
Damnit, but it cannot be worse than those µATX boards, which are all costing in the lowend price range anyways?

Ricdeau

Chassis Packer
Jul 14, 2017
It's a toss up for me between the two boards honestly. Each one did somethings better than the other. If I could mash the two together I'd have been more happy with the outcome. I will say that with the ASRock even though it did not have LLC that the voltage was very static once you figure out how much it droops by. The Gigabyte fluctuated a lot more for me even with LLC.

Reactions: Acalanata

meganerid

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 2, 2017
correct me if I'm wrong, but the fail count on the UEFI's RAM setting is for the number of tries the board will try to boot before resetting the RAM overclock right?

I want to try to get my 2x16GB 3000mhz corsair sticks to 2666mhz at least but I don't want to have to clear the CMOS in case it doesn't post (they seem a bit hard to reach lol)

arth_d

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 9, 2017
correct me if I'm wrong, but the fail count on the UEFI's RAM setting is for the number of tries the board will try to boot before resetting the RAM overclock right?

I want to try to get my 2x16GB 3000mhz corsair sticks to 2666mhz at least but I don't want to have to clear the CMOS in case it doesn't post (they seem a bit hard to reach lol)

I have 32gb of Corsair Vengence LPX running at 2666mhz in the Asrock board. But the ram is only 2666mhz not 3000. But i had no problem with reaching 2666mhz turning on the XMP settings.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017

This review states multiple times that USB 3.1 Gen 2 is supported, but that's not what ASRock told one of the other site staff members:

The board does NOT have USB 3.1 (Gen 2). But the reason is apparently there are very strict limitations on trace length to use the USB 3.1 off the chipset and it wasn't feasible to implement on this board.

Also, ASRock's own spec page also makes no mention of Gen 2:

- 2 x USB 2.0 Ports (Supports ESD Protection)*
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A Port (Supports ESD Protection)
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C Port (Supports ESD Protection)
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (Supports ESD Protection)

Seems like a odd mistake...

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Multiple times? it was stated twice, both times in the review spec table. The mistake been fixed now though, as it is indeed Gen1. Thanks for pointing it out - it was missed in editing.

Last edited:

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
Multiple times? it was stated twice, both times in the review spec table. The mistake been fixed now though, as it is indeed Gen1. Thanks for pointing it out - it was missed in editing.

Sorry, thought it was mentioned in some of the text as well. Think I got excited that it might have been supported ;)

Reactions: confusis

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
2 is technically multiple :p

I was interested in Coffee Lake but I feel Intel is just being obnoxious at this point. Think it's time to go for AM4...

lux2

What's an ITX?
Aug 29, 2017
Have added to the article - ASRock has stated that all new batches of both boards include the better VRM heatsink - the one with the thinner thermal pad. They also ask anyone with the thinner heatsink to contact ASRock support to get the better one, at no cost!
I think they have changed their policy and refused to send the better VRM heatsink.
So, is there any better heatsink out on market can replace it myself? are they the standard size?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
They aren't a standard size. Later this week I will do some testing with an IR thermometer and see what the actual difference is :)

Reactions: Acalanata

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I also have a board with a thick pad and when i contacted them, they seem reluctant to replace my heatsink.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I had an ASRock B350 Gaming ITX delivered this morning............ Full fat heatsink onboard. (pun?)

carbonitetoast

Caliper Novice
Jun 16, 2017
They aren't a standard size. Later this week I will do some testing with an IR thermometer and see what the actual difference is :)

Any chance you could also test the Gigabyte's VRM temps at the same time so we could compare the two boards in the same situation? I have the Gigabyte and encoding video (or stress testing) gets them VERY hot with a tower cooler (I have since switched CPU coolers).

I think it would be nice to able to compare the two boards given all of the hot VRM temps reported for the Gigabyte.