News ASRock show-off Micro-STX system with MXM & TB3 @CES 2017

Hi All

ASRock are happy to display our new model - Deskmini RX/GTX @CES 2017.
You can get more picture in :https://www.cool3c.com/article/116315/CES-2017-華擎展出具可擴充-MXM-獨立顯示卡的-micro-STX-主機板原型主機

This is prototype of Deskmini RX/GTX
Considering there are so many SFF enthusiasts still need more powerful 3D graphics performance, why don't we extend Mini-STX to larger board: based on 5x5 screw holes but implement MXM, more video outputs, m.2 connectors, even Thunderbolt 3!

And that is world's firsts' MICRO-STX system:
  • Support up to Intel® Core i7 7700K CPU
  • Support Intel box cooler
  • Intel Z270 (B250) Chipset
  • Support MXM Type B, up to 120W
    • RX = AMD RX480/470/460
    • GTX = NVIDIA GTX1060
  • Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with Type-C
  • 3 x M.2 2260/2280 slots
  • 1 x M.2 2230 Wi-Fi slot
  • AURA RGB LED connector!
  • Support Intel® Optane™ Technology
  • 2.x Liter!
  • 19V/220W adapter
ASRock planned sell barebones (include motherboard, MXM card, MXM cooler, chassis and adapter) and open mind corporate with system builder to develop new mini PC in micro STX motherboard. It should be launched on 2017 Q2.

Last edited:

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
No thunderbolt. It has USB Type-C but IIRC the Thunderbolt implementation and certification takes months for Intel to process (thanks closed licencing! -_-) so ASRock forewent the option.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
With the de-licensing of TB3 coming soon, hopefully we start to see it on more boards.

whum

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2017
No thunderbolt. It has USB Type-C but IIRC the Thunderbolt implementation and certification takes months for Intel to process (thanks closed licencing! -_-) so ASRock forewent the option.

Wow, that is VERY disappointing. I may still get one, but this makes my decision way less clear.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
213 x 154.5 x 81.9mm (2.7L). Hrm. 8.2cm. I am a little sad. I would have loved a thinner version. The Aorus 1070 eGPU box is 212x162x96 (including PSU!) and I have a laptop already...

Last edited:
Reactions: AleksandarK

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Aug 7, 2017
Sorry if I missed this in the thread, but was the z270-stx ever released? One more this, I was looking at the H110-stx on newegg and it looks way different then the picture that's been put on the thread (H110) or is that just me.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The Z270 Micro STX is for sale on Newegg.com as of about two weeks ago but was out of stock last I checked. The H110-STX-MXM is the enterprise/businee wing of AsRock's offering. There is also the older Mini STX version of the H110 board which you can buy as the Deskmini 110.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
The Z270 Micro STX is for sale on Newegg.com as of about two weeks ago but was out of stock last I checked. The H110-STX-MXM is the enterprise/businee wing of AsRock's offering. There is also the older Mini STX version of the H110 board which you can buy as the Deskmini 110.

I cannot find anything microSTX on NewEgg, comes back with a "Zero for X, but look at these mATX boards...!"

Shame the markup for the MXM card is so high; raped by Miners & MXM for cost...!

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I'm interested in the 1080 barebones kit but I'm worried about fan noise from this thing being so small. Any thoughts on fan noise from this thing?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
When will we get to see a detailed Review?

AsRock has already contacted me about sending over a Deskmini 1060 for review. I will likely do a collaborative article with @confusis once I have a review unit. Additionally, I am planning to buy the Deskmini GTX 1080 for my own personal use and already own a 1070 MXM card. What I am hoping to publish will look at all three MXM card's GPU performance using the EVGA 1050ti, EVGA 1060 SC and Zotac 1080 Mini as reference points for the three MXM GPUs. This will hopefully give people a look at how well the MXM cards measure up to their full-fat counterparts. Additionally I have a Z270 version of the Micro-STX board that I do not believe has the same limitations on CPU TDP as the B250 board and intend to look at underclocking/overclocking if possible.

RishabhX3576

Efficiency Noob
Sep 8, 2017
AsRock has already contacted me about sending over a Deskmini 1060 for review. I will likely do a collaborative article with @confusis once I have a review unit. Additionally, I am planning to buy the Deskmini GTX 1080 for my own personal use and already own a 1070 MXM card. What I am hoping to publish will look at all three MXM card's GPU performance using the EVGA 1050ti, EVGA 1060 SC and Zotac 1080 Mini as reference points for the three MXM GPUs. This will hopefully give people a look at how well the MXM cards measure up to their full-fat counterparts. Additionally I have a Z270 version of the Micro-STX board that I do not believe has the same limitations on CPU TDP as the B250 board and intend to look at underclocking/overclocking if possible.

Waiting Patiently...

Brian_Buckley

Trash Compacter
Sep 26, 2017
Looking at using one of these for a mini encoding/streaming device. With the extra M.2 slots, would it be possible to fit an expansion card in this chassis as well? I'm trying to get the smallest form factor that would leave room for a capture card. If only any of these boards had TB3, I could just use an external PCIe enclosure and however small of a case I want.