Power Supply ASRock B350 ITX, Ryzen 2200G build completed, kind of. Issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Quick update, bought a MiniBox 160W from Amazon and she's up and purring. Did get a couple of blue-screens though (CPU is stock everything, no O/C yet; mem is running 3200 though that's also stock) and haven't touched it since so some lingering doubt. Will test my other spare picos in a Coffee Lake build I've got lying around but still no way to eliminate an unreliable/dodgy AC adapter.

Reactions: Jello

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Quick update, bought a MiniBox 160W from Amazon and she's up and purring. Did get a couple of blue-screens though (CPU is stock everything, no O/C yet; mem is running 3200 though that's also stock) and haven't touched it since so some lingering doubt. Will test my other spare picos in a Coffee Lake build I've got lying around but still no way to eliminate an unreliable/dodgy AC adapter.

What is your RAM? Is it in the motherboard QVL?

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
Wow...Don't even know why I read all the pages XD it was like a train wreck - couldn't look away! It's a simple concept that everyone's trying to get across to you.

It's do it once, do it right. The reason those other guys are in business and can charge the way they do is that they put the legwork upfront (time...aka...money) to find the "right" chinese supplier. They put their business on the line so that what they provide has gone through proper QC. You can EASILY just buy "what looks the same" from someone else, but how are they with returns? What's their feedback? Etc. "I'd rather buy used than brand new" - same concept. "I'd rather buy a knockoff" that's "pretty much" the same thing, but it isn't. Sometimes it works out - but in your case, it didn't. And I'd rather buy a knockoff on something that wasn't a make-or-break-component.

Say...a cheap USB cable, heatsink, power button. A PSU? Going to buy right. A CPU cooler? Going to buy right. A GPU riser? Going to buy right. It's risk distribution. And to me (and to most here), a PSU isn't something we are willing to risk to save a few bucks.

Reactions: Phuncz and stree

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Wow...Don't even know why I read all the pages XD it was like a train wreck - couldn't look away! It's a simple concept that everyone's trying to get across to you.

It's do it once, do it right. The reason those other guys are in business and can charge the way they do is that they put the legwork upfront (time...aka...money) to find the "right" chinese supplier.

I'm sorry but I never thought keeping secrets to the good products was the way of a co-operative, supportive community.

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
I honestly can't tell if this is troll account or not :D No offense! A part of me is just confused.

If you tell everyone everything you know, the value of what you know becomes ZERO. It's all risk management. Also, for some people it's their BUSINESS. It's part of their livelihood. The "extra payment" that we give is part "thanks" for all the effort they put into it. If they just gave the info away, they have effectively eliminated the value of their time. Is that difficult to understand?

It's up to us, as consumers to decide whether or not their pricing is "fair." If it's not, someone like yourself will figure out a cheaper way and then price to sell it that way - if it's worth it. And from what I've seen so far, I'm probably going to still buy from one of the tried/true vendors.

Lesson in life - there's no free lunch.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 20, 2018
Wow.. I'm honestly.. kinda flabbergasted.

I've been using PC forums for nigh-on 25 years now, and I have --never-- heard anyone advocate secrecy of sources in order to protect capital advantage. Why would you reward merely the investment in trialling products, rather than the makers of the quality product itself? Seriously now, isn't the --whole point-- of a like-minded community to share ideas, tips, useful products, good sources, etc so that everyone benefits and no-one is hog-tied to making the same experimental trial-&-errors that others were? Reward the good product, certainly; never reward the guy holding the information to ransom.

I now have 5 "spare" picos here, not counting the Minibox one in my build. Once I have a couple of extra AC Adapters, I'll happily run a few tests over them and give my feedback, so that everyone here can benefit and decide for themselves whether some of the cheaper options do indeed happen to fit their needs. Because exactly as you say, it's up to us as consumers to decide what is "fair" pricing. But if you insist on suppressing market information so that the established players can continue to profit from mere "good sources" info, well.. I really feel that that's counter to the whole spirit of 'community discussions'.

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
If this was purely a PC forum, I'd agree with you. But it's not. It's a mixture of PC forum and entrepreneur community. At least that's what I see it to be. And it's pretty damned awesome.

And yes, a Corsair cx430 can cost as low as $20. Say...sometimes $10. But like others have said, you're comparing something that manufactured by the thousands vs tens (arbitrary numbers to prove the point).

Your current assumption is that there is some random source that has "the best" and someone's hiding it from you. What if that someone had to develop a relationship with that person to get specific components substituted out? What if that supplier is doing a favor for him because it's such a small userbase and asked that his name wasn't revealed? What if... Etc.

Either way, I think we're just in a agree to disagree position. Good luck with the rest of the build!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Ok, thread locked. Some serious poor attitude shown here from both OP and some of the replies.

@a13antichrist Learn to take advice and criticism. You are acting entitled and as if your opinion is the only one that matters. This is a community, not a dictatorship run by the thread owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.