Power Supply Can this power a Ryzen 2400g?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I'm looking to update my HTPC internals but keep this DC-ATX PSU: http://www.minicase.net/product_LR1107-180W12VDC.html

The Ryzen 2400g has a TDP of 65W and Guru 3d found the power consumption of a system to be around 115W: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review,6.html

I'd be looking to pair this with the ASRock B450 ITX board that is just releasing which needs an 8pin CPU connector so I think I'd need to build an appropriate connector: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157844

Just want to make sure this is possible without also having to buy a new power board.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
From the provided minicase link, it looks like it is only rated for 6A average on the 12v output, which is 72 watts. That sounds pretty low for a 2400g, maybe it works but I'd bet it'll easily pull more current than that Psu is rated for during heavy loads

Edit: what was it previously powering?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
From the provided minicase link, it looks like it is only rated for 6A average on the 12v output, which is 72 watts. That sounds pretty low for a 2400g, maybe it works but I'd bet it'll easily pull more current than that Psu is rated for during heavy loads

Edit: what was it previously powering?

It has happily been powering:

mITX 1080p Kodi HTPC: Realan E-i7n case, Intel i3 3245,Scythe Shuriken Rev.B, ASRock H77M-ITX, CIR receiver, PCIe SSD

for the last several years. I'm currently modding the case for an internal AC-DC PSU (Mean Well 200W) to replace the power brick and have sorta got the itch to just re-do everything. Obviously that's expensive and I was hoping to not have to do the DC-ATX board too.

Anandtech only found the 2400g to pull around 67w under heavy loads... does anything else use the 12v rail? https://www.anandtech.com/show/12425/marrying-vega-and-zen-the-amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/13

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Most things use 12v nowadays but the APU will by far be the biggest consumer. Anandtech's findings are just for the 2400g by itself, without the rest of the system.

What do you expect to do with the system? What software, any games? You may be just fine with it. Minicase states that the power supply does have OCP and that it will kick in when rated peak draw is reached, which is 7A for 12V (84w). If it were me I may just get all the parts in, run the most stressful thing I would intend to do on it, and if it doesn't shutdown from OCP or have heat issues then it is probably fine to use.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Most things use 12v nowadays but the APU will by far be the biggest consumer. Anandtech's findings are just for the 2400g by itself, without the rest of the system.

What do you expect to do with the system? What software, any games? You may be just fine with it. Minicase states that the power supply does have OCP and that it will kick in when rated peak draw is reached, which is 7A for 12V (84w). If it were me I may just get all the parts in, run the most stressful thing I would intend to do on it, and if it doesn't shutdown from OCP or have heat issues then it is probably fine to use.

Thanks for the feedback!

It will mostly be video playback (low power) and HTPC gaming (high power). They also have a 250W board that has 10A on the 12V line that can be purchased from AliExpress for only $22. It's a long shipping time so I may just purchase it, and then I'd have the complete AC-DC and DC-ATX board and external brick as a backup or as parts for another project.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rea...X-Switch-Pico-PSU-With-24pin/32817327288.html

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
No problem :)

It may be worth asking @Thehack his thoughts, as he is one of the more vocal and knowledgeable members here on 12v power supplies

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
A plug in dc board may be $10 more. But I hear you.

But this will work nicely. Make sure it has more than 1 set of wires wired to your meanwell 200w. They give you 6 pins out for a reason so use at least 4 of them.

So this Realan DC-ATX board can be had for $22 on eBay. What plugin DC board is only $35 or so? I only know of the PicoPSU which is over $50 for the 160W version.

RE: 1 set of wires - are two 16ga wires out of the Mean Well not enough? I see pins 1,2,3 are all +V and 4,5,6 are all -V so it should be easy enough to combine them.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So this Realan DC-ATX board can be had for $22 on eBay. What plugin DC board is only $35 or so? I only know of the PicoPSU which is over $50 for the 160W version.

RE: 1 set of wires - are two 16ga wires out of the Mean Well not enough? I see pins 1,2,3 are all +V and 4,5,6 are all -V so it should be easy enough to combine them.

The wires are fine but the pins are the weak point. I'll see about getting some plug in units for a bit cheaper and stock them locally.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
The wires are fine but the pins are the weak point. I'll see about getting some plug in units for a bit cheaper and stock them locally.

Good to know about the pins, thanks!

Do you have a guide you recommend to wiring up the Mean Well?

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
I game on the 2400G. No overclock on the GPU and 4GHz on the CPU, I regularly see 120w draw on the kill-a-watt playing Fortnite.

/Edit: I have never tested it stock, Sorry.