Prebuilt Any ASRock JUPITER X300 owners?

Eugen

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Got a couple of questions.
1. So a 35W APU is impossible to find, can I fine-tune a 65W APU (like 5600G) via bios settings to fit the 35W restrictions?
2. How loud/hot system is with 65W apu?

Aim is tiny low-power system. Dead silent in idle. Barely audible under light load.

Bean Nuts

Trash Compacter
Mar 17, 2021
I recommend watching ETA Primes Youtube video. He took a 5700g and stuffed it in the asrock Jupiter x300 and got pretty good results.
If you bought a 5600g and under-volted it, you might be able achieve nearly a dead silent computer

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I would recommend the 5600g on both the jupiter or deskmini version. The igpu is virtually the same and thermal issues prevent the 5700g from being fully utilized on multithreaded workloads (other than very short bursts before the throttling kicks in).

For tuning you have about 3 choices, (A) Lower bios tdp setting (alternately can also just adjust the pbo tdc, I think that's the same result), or (B) disable cores or SMT, or (C) undervolt with a manual clock (no curve offset sorry).

You can experiment by lowering SOC voltage as well which would reduce the power draw of the igpu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bean Nuts

Eugen

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Thanx for replies.
I watched ETA Primes, results aren't good for me - too hot, too noisy.
But bios setting in that videos looks promising for undervolting.

And one more question - custom fan curve - is it possible? FanControl (or SpeedFan) support?

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
The bios supports a 5 point curve and Speedfan is supported (go to advanced settings on the controller, set Manual control)

To get lowest noise results I would disable 2 cores, disable SMT, set manual clock and undervolt until the temps are good enough. This wouldn't hurt desktop or gaming performance much.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Since i'm interested if this would work or not, I configured a power sipper x300 build using a 5700g on the Deskmini as follows to simulate a "quiet" Jupiter x300:

-Parked 5 cores, 3 cores enabled (5600g = Park 3 cores, 3 enabled)
-Disable SMT (Hyperthreading)
-Undervolt to 1.05v @ 3.8ghz manual clock
-GPU clock unchanged @ 2ghz

This is using the Noctua l9a (NFa9x14) so keep in mind the cooling capacity is going to be better than the Jupiter.

Result #1 (CPU workload)
21.9w Package power in Cinebench with performance similar to 1165g7 Tiger Lake laptop. Room to enable another core or two, or SMT.

About 60% fan speed of the NFa9x14 and temps are under 50c, it would be hotter on the Jupiter but it's hard to say by exactly how much but it looks promising.

Result #2 (Gaming result - Witcher 3 720p High):
3 Cores @ 3.8ghz 1.05v
36w GPU + 9W CPU (3 cores)= 45w on sensors

At 45 watts, this wouldn't be as quiet, but it still should be possible on the Jupiter without 100% fan speed. Because I have noticed the GPU has better heat dissipation on the Zen3 die, it doesn't get hotspots as bad as the the CPU cores. So even though the package power draw is almost double, the hotspot temps won't be as bad as a CPU benchmark.

Now the above compared to the baseline (my x300 config) to test for lost performance.
8 Cores, 4.4ghz @ 1.3v manual locked
44W GPU + 17w CPU = 61w (Note: GPU wattage may be higher because SOC amperage increased)

Same fps! There is no perceptible difference in gaming results by dropping to 3 undervolted and underclocked cores, at least in this game since the CPU utilization isn't very high (60%). Cyberpunk was at 90% util so maybe some games would benefit from a bit higher clock speed, or by enabling 4 cores.

Because of my memory configuration I could not test an undervolted SOC, it was at relatively high 1.15v in both tests.

Actual gaming results would be lower than 45 watts when using less SOC voltage. Up to 5 watts less on iGpu if using 900mv SOC.

Last edited:

Eugen

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2022
So, a small report on jupiter x300 and ryzen 5600G.
I didn't succeed.
Undervolt, underclock, and CoreBoost off helped lower the temperature and fan speed.
Disabling SMT wasn't an option, because s3 mode is used.
But constant freezes with the shutdown of the video driver put an end to this idea. It worked stably at the default settings, but high temperatures and fan speeds are unacceptable to me.

4650ge appeared ib stock, so I replaced the processor. The problem is solved.
CoreBoost off, voltage in nominal, memory overclocked to 3800.
The system is stable, the noise is moderate (fan curve is up to 3000 rpm at 75°C).
Runs great for browsing and light gaming!
Wattmeter reports 15w in idle, 55-65w while gaming.
Maybe someone will be interested. Next time I'll prefer Deskmini for sure.

twefoju

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2023
Hello!

I am a user of R7 5700G with Jupiter X300 since 2021, been having tough time finding solution to the black screen every time i started playing games.

I have tried using Ryzen Master to move the base core all the way to 2000 HHz, and i also lowered the APU GFX clock to 1700 to prevent the system to reach max limit before it kill the output to the monitor, but i never find any luck.

Is there any other solution or a working undervolt fix via Ryzen Master that will stabilize the system even during gaming without having it to kill the output upon reaching limit?

Thank you!

Eugen

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2022
Hello!

I am a user of R7 5700G with Jupiter X300 since 2021, been having tough time finding solution to the black screen every time i started playing games.

I have tried using Ryzen Master to move the base core all the way to 2000 HHz, and i also lowered the APU GFX clock to 1700 to prevent the system to reach max limit before it kill the output to the monitor, but i never find any luck.

Is there any other solution or a working undervolt fix via Ryzen Master that will stabilize the system even during gaming without having it to kill the output upon reaching limit?

Thank you!
Get a GE cpu.
Mine build is working fine now, no black screens.

twefoju

Efficiency Noob
May 8, 2023
Get a GE cpu.
Mine build is working fine now, no black screens.
Hey, i am sorry, but what is a GE cpu?

So i've also been reading around, i think it's safe to say there isn't anything that can be helped by pairing a 5700G with Jupiter X300, it's just not stable.

So i am actually moving to it's biggest bro, the Deskmeet X300, i just have a thing with the X300 lineup, i love their compactness.

I will plan to move my 5700G to Deskmeet X300 and place RX 6500 XT as the graphics option so i can put the 5700G APU to rest forever..

BillFleming11

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 2, 2020
Jupiter doesn't have more than 2 voltage options for RAM slots (only 1.2V and 1.35V), so that will limit max performance even if you upgraded the cooling. The deskmini should be able to clock higher. I installed the 2x32 CL16 Corsair RAM and can't really get it much above the 3200MHz with what I believe I measured about 1.345V on RAM voltage (with a meter). The built-in sensor is not very accurate.
Unless things changed in a BIOS update recently all of the USB ports are split between 2 IOMMU groups. 1 of the USB-C is in it's own group, the rest are in another group. (also there a usb hub built-in to get that many ports)
Using the single port IOMMU grouping I could attach an Anker USB-C hub with A/C ports and card reader to a VM for use with debuggers, etc just fine.
Be careful connecting to the front USB ports as you may accidentally hit the power switch.
Using a newer Club-3D dual-port DP MST hub it worked well to get dual DP 1.2 out the single DP 1.4 port from a 5700G.
There is a populated header for UART that I didn't test, may be able to get 3.3V or 1.8V TTL out of it.
There is a non-populated header for a thermal sensor. The board actually includes a full fat NCT6683? IO chip on the backside (similar/same part used on X570 Asrock boards). So you can use that for fan control/monitoring and maybe the thermal sensor could work with off-board thermister with normal kernel driver. I could dig up pictures of the back of the board if yall wanted to see it. It is rather amusing to use the small X300 than take up huge amounts of PCB space on the backside including that NCT chip and several USB chips and other unused circuits.
If you got a custom M.2 adapter it would be possible to split the second SATA port from the M.2, so it may be possible to use dual SATA ports plus PCIE but I didn't test this.
The VGA and front speaker can be detached. Could be useful for some extreme case mod if you don't use the VGA. Internally the VGA is connected to a 1 or 2 lane eDP using a SOP package chip. If you put on the soldering wizard hat you may be able to run 2560x1600 eDP from it by removing the VGA chip. I didn't test that yet either.
The fan will get a little noisy if you do 16 thread compile on it. Other fatter blowers could be connected in its place (4-pin fan header) if you tried to build some portable PC.
Unlike the deskmini this one is good at trapping dust and hair around the heatsink area. If you operated this with the cover on like a normal person you wouldn't be able to see the dust and hair build-up which will impact thermals. So I would set a reminder on the PC to detach the cover every few months to air blast the hair out of it. Hair will partly block the intake area of the fins and wrap around the screws. Speaking of screws something like the Alphacool 1U Eisblock could be attached to this thing if you wanted to get creative or lower temps. It may be normal Intel screw distance so standard package could be attached. You would still want some air flow around the general area though if you did any water cool experiment. This board concentrates heat especially with a performance SSD.
Per Asrock there is no voltage range on the input barrel jack, so you need to match the normal PSU voltage exactly if you substitute the normal power supply. (same as Deskmini power supply)
This board has a very bright front LED that will stay on full blast during suspend mode, probably even noticeably affects power consumption. Unfortunately you would need to solder to move/change the LED or front power switch as they don't use a standard header for case connections.

Use the latest BIOS to get the latest GPU firmware which may improve some things. Very reliable with normal mesa/radv. All of the issues I thought I had with the Jupiter turned out to be a particular monitor acting up.

Reactions: Phuncz