Production Aquanaut Basic/Extreme - Ultra Low Profile CPU Block & Pump Mount Combo

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
MCP35X is DDC standard and should be compatible. But this is quite an old design (still comes with molex connector), released some years ago. Not sure if there are better ones out there now.
Mcp35x works fine. Mine was rewired to just a pwm plug, as my mobo has a 2a header for a pump. If you want a sata plug, grab the ek ddc 4.2. As far as performance goes, you shouldn’t see much difference between those two pumps.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Mcp35x works fine. Mine was rewired to just a pwm plug, as my mobo has a 2a header for a pump. If you want a sata plug, grab the ek ddc 4.2. As far as performance goes, you shouldn’t see much difference between those two pumps.
Be very careful with getting pump power directly from motherboard. Some say that the pump draws much more power on start up and may exceed the quoted spec for a short period of time. That's probably why nearly all standalone pumps are sold with separate power connector via SATA/molex.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Be very careful with getting pump power directly from motherboard. Some say that the pump draws much more power on start up and may exceed the quoted spec for a short period of time. That's probably why nearly all standalone pumps are sold with separate power connector via SATA/molex.

I have used a 2A header on a mobo but my preferred option is a quadro from aquacomputer. It’s fan headers are software controlled, 2A each and it’s a nice little package you can hide away somewhere.

The other fan headers are really useful for controlling radiator fan speeds based on your loop fluid temperatures using it’s temperature probe mounts.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I have used a 2A header on a mobo but my preferred option is a quadro from aquacomputer. It’s fan headers are software controlled, 2A each and it’s a nice little package you can hide away somewhere.

The other fan headers are really useful for controlling radiator fan speeds based on your loop fluid temperatures using it’s temperature probe mounts.
I also use a Quadro for pump and fan power and control, and I'm very happy with it. Though I have heard reports of startup current from DDC pumps damaging those as well - one person told me theirs had three burnt-out, non-functional fan headers from this. Mine is so far entirely fine though, about a year in. It might help that my pump never goes from off to full power, or it might be that my exact model has a lower startup current - or I migh just be lucky (so far). Still, I'm willing to take the risk as it's a relatively cheap and tiny piece of hardware.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
I’ve been running off of a motherboard header for awhile now, no issues. 3 different models of motherboards along the way. They all had a high amperage pump header on them though. I wouldn’t recommend trying it on a standard header by any means.
For the quadro users, do you have start boost on? There has been some discussion on how much more amperage the pump is fed with that on, vs off at startup. Might be worth a look.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Anyone have a recommendation for a small reservoir? I have an EK Pump Res but thinking of moving to this and selling my pump/res + CPU block.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Something like this works great! Just remove the impeller and reassemble. Has 3 ports on it.

I still wish I had purchased a load of these, removed the wheel and sold them as "Pico Res" for double the price. Here is How I used it.

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
Anyone have a recommendation for a small reservoir? I have an EK Pump Res but thinking of moving to this and selling my pump/res + CPU block.

It’s a bit jank, but you grasp the intention. I plan to cram it inside the case as this was just a proof of concept.

The plan was to have a T with a right angle facing up so that I can top up the res and it should in theory catch any bubbles.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Something like this works great! Just remove the impeller and reassemble. Has 3 ports on it.
That's my recommendation as well. I wish I had gotten one of these no-name ones off Ebay or Amazon, as I ended up going for EK's version (the only thing available locally), and it has a really thick back wall meaning it has about half the internal volume it could have had. It still works decently, but the simpler ones are definitely better. I've stuffed some bubble-catching foam I had left over from an old EK reservoir in there, and it really helps avoid recirculation of bubbles, so that's highly recommended.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I totally recommend Alphacool's rad, don't see the reason not to get this one. It has extra ports for filling the loop, and if the rad is placed at the top of the loop it can also serve as the bleeding port as well (and can omit reservoir in build, for ultimate space saving). I cannot emphasize how much hassle you can save with this kind of radiator. I am using this, and reservoir is not even considered in my shopping list of water cooling parts 😁 (unless you are EK fanboi 😭 )

IMG_2236.jpg IMG_2237.jpg

Last edited:

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I totally recommend Alphacool's rad, don't see the reason not to get this one. It has extra ports for filling the loop, and if the rad is placed at the top of the loop it can also serve as the bleeding port as well (and can omit reservoir in build, for ultimate space saving). I cannot emphasize how much hassle you can save with this kind of radiator. I am using this, and reservoir is not even considered in my shopping list of water cooling parts 😁 (unless you are EK fanboi 😭 )

View attachment 1695 View attachment 1697

Also I highly recommend Leviathan SF240 for the same reason (and it's branded hardware labs L series which is a higher plus).

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
I already have a Corsair 280mm but in fact that offset port is interesting. Anyway I will first try to get it working with the Iceman Res/Pump on the inside. If that fails, I'll pivot to a reservoirless build indeed.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I've been partial to HWLabs rads for my previous builds, but I agree with Nouvolo, if you're doing a build in a challenging case, the Nexxos V2 builds with the end tanks having ports on both sides plus a fifth port that you could use for drain or bleeding air when filling the loop is really a BIG BIG help.

I used one of those rads to put together an AIO-ish loop without a reservoir using Alphacool's pump/block combo, and having the extra ports in the rad was an absolute godsend. Plus they're priced relatively competitively with other brands.