CPU Cablemod: Don't order the SFF specific cables, go with normal ones, even in an SFF build.

ThatThereTim

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
Got my custom length cables from cablemod global store this week - they're going in an Ncase M1, so when I ordered I selected SFF cables. (a new option I believe)

Turns out theyre coated in some damn hard plastic coating. They're not braided. So they're not very flexible, and really horrible to route/bend at the socket ends (thank god I've got 180 degree adaptors on my GPU!). The plastic is so tough that it moves the metal sleeves inside the sockets too, so they can be an absolute pain to install, almost like the old days of cheap molex connectors.

I went back to the store's website to check if I had missed the option to make them braided - nope, there's no option in the purchase flow of SFF cables to select braided or plastic.

So, I'm now stuck with these plastic cables. The standard cables that come with a Corsair SF750 PSU are better quality than these (albeit vastly too long).

For £80~ I'm deeply, deeply unimpressed.

My warning is: if you're ordering cables for an SFF build, do not order the SFF cables from cablemods. Stick to the standard cables from cablemods - they'll be the nice, flexible, high quality braided ones.

Reactions: BaK