Other CableMod Custom SF600 Cables Review

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you're like me, you've probably gawked at pictures of builds with custom-sleeved cables that are perfectly cut-to-length, and meticulously organized, for that absolutely stunning look. That said, actually cutting PSU cables and individually sleeving them is a very time-consuming and tedious endeavor to say the least, so if you're also lazy like me you've likely realized that ain't nobody got time for that, and settled for whatever cables were provided with your power supply.

Fortunately, while custom sleeving used to be a mandatory weekend project of sorts, there's been a rise in the past few years of companies like CableMod that make replacement cable sets for modular PSUs. This means that, for a price, you could buy the fancy sleeved power cables rather than go through the toil of making them yourself... but the problem then became one of living with off-the-shelf SKUs, where the cable lengths are fixed. Indeed, while you'd get the look of individually sleeved cables, the length of the cables would almost always be excessive for a SFF build, leading to bundles of wires that could clutter up a case just as bad - if not worse - than the very OEM cables they replaced.

Read more here.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nice ! I like that it's available to more people this way, as it is incredibly tedious. I'm generally a patient and precise person, but I've yet to be satisfied with any sleeving job I've done. I've not mastered it properly and when I see the perfect sleeving jobs, I tend to think that I need to atleast achieve that level.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
I am using the short Silverstone PP05-E cables in my M1. The cables in this set (except for the 24 pin cable) are shorter than the original cables that came with my SX600-G, but not perfect. So I had been thinking about modding the original cables to fit even better than the PPO5-E ones. Now that CableMod has this Custom Configurator I'm wondering why bother?

DS_two

What's an ITX?
Jul 22, 2016
Thanks for doing the review James, I've been looking into custom cables for my M1 and I may try Cablemod. I can't tell from your pics, but can you bend the 2nd SATA power back onto itself if you were to have two SSDs stacked on each other? My ideal setup would be two SSDs on top of each other in the same location where you have yours but the corsair cables make that impossible.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum! They're not quite as flexible as the SilverStone flexible cables due to the bulk of the sleeving but bending the SATA power cable over to stack two SSDs would not be an issue.

Jury-Pool-Reject

Chassis Packer
Jul 18, 2016
This is just what I'd like to do for my upcoming build (M1, Asus Z170I Pro Gaming MB, Corsair SF600, Corsair AIO CPU cooler, etc).

But, I don't know what length to get the cables.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In general most cables for the M1 can be very short, only the CPU 4+4 needs to be longer for most motherboards.
You can use a piece of string or fabric to simuilate the cable runs inside the case, but it mainly depends on your motherboard and other cooling hardware, so most of the time you do need to measure for yourself.

nathany

What's an ITX?
Oct 2, 2017
> "it would be a good idea to inspect any custom cables before plugging them in and powering on the system"

Thanks for the review. I recently put in an order for CableMod cables for a SF600. How would I go about inspecting the cables when they arrive? What things should I look for?

Thanks, Nathan.