An eGPU dock that's actually SFF (name TBD)

Mar 6, 2017
Wouldn't a PCIe to MXM board be relatively easy to design? Of course that probably doesn't matter much given how uncommon MXM GPUs are

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Interesting to see Gigabyte getting into the game.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Interesting although hard to gauge the size. It certainly looks smaller than most other eGPU enclosures if the mouse in the background and the Kensington lock is a reference.

RobonHood

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2016
So I've been drooling over E.Gpu docks for the last few weeks because sexy and I ran across the Mantis Venus. More Importantly I ran across their daughter board for the enclosure the will be releasing https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/mantis-venus/. It's pretty killer and solves a lot of the electrical design problems if we could design the chassis to meet SFF expectations while also using a ready made board.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I need accurate measurements of the Thunderbolt port on the Akitio Node since that's what will need to be used. I've been too busy to do anything else with this project unfortunately.

Pendra

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
Quick question. Why does it have to be a box? Why can't just make it an actual docking unit like this:

That thing seems to have the space to house a full blown GPU inside.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Think there was a working concept from CES a few years back (when TB3 was new) showing off a GPU brick (with a few extra connectivity ports a-la those regular thunderbolt docks). Forgot the exact company and the exact GPU (think it was a GTX 970 or something). Should be a reason why this hasn't caught on...

Pendra

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2017
OK, this is what I have in mind. It is a laptop docker that requires no special docking features from the laptop. You position the USB/Power/eGPU cables to the actual position on the laptop then lock them in place. I added a USB to the back and a USB and a power connector to the right side to see what I mean. After this, you can slide the laptop in from the front, slide the sides from left and right and you are done. Everything is locked and loaded. Because of the sliding sides, the width is not an issue. You slide it is as far as you need to.
It also has CPU cooling on the bottom. Plus you can still open the laptop, but actually, why would you do that? You have the big LCD hooked up to the eGPU, that is the whole point :D.

The eGPU compartment is 50x18x7cm. A normal GPU and an SFX PSU were modeled on the animation. Didn't add cabling, I leave it to your imagination.

Last edited: