An eGPU dock that's actually SFF (name TBD)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The vents look good ! The shade-simulating hole patterns were even more awesome but I can understand they'd probably be more expensive and induce turbulence noise.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, the hole patterns would be difficult to manufacture, but they're definitely my favorite for looks.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Phuncz

TTheuns

Efficiency Noob
Jan 29, 2017
I don't think water-cooling in such a tiny enclosure is something most of us would do. Those of us who do want to, could pick up a drill and have at it ;)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The idea was to be able to fit a hypothetical Vega version of the Fury X. Because you're right, a custom loop in your eGPU dock is pretty niche indeed :p

TTheuns

Efficiency Noob
Jan 29, 2017
The idea was to be able to fit a hypothetical Vega version of the Fury X. Because you're right, a custom loop in your eGPU dock is pretty niche indeed :p

Right, that makes sense. Sometimes I forget the Red team altogether. I actually have thought about building my own dock to fit custom watercooling, but it'd become too big.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes: Next scheduled stream: Saturday Feb 11 at 3:00pm Central (click here to see in your local time zone)

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Okay, here's what I came up with for the vents:

Look good?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for the comments everyone!

And I think we'll just abandon the idea of supporting a 120mm for a Fury X type card. It'd require offsetting the vents almost all the way forward and would look ugly IMO.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
You know, i've always had this idea in my head where you have 2 matching chassis. One fits just a mini itx motherboard, no expansion slots. The other fits just a full height double width graphics card. Then you could sit them next to each other, or stack them, and connect them with a thunderbolt cable.

yep, that's kinda what i was hoping for one day too. The HP Slice is almost there, but their interconnect is USB3, not TB3 which means no GPU slices :(

However i think now i'd prefer a case designed & small & light enough to be able to mount it on the back of the monitor - well out of the way. less cables, less clutter. Doesn't even really need much of a top either - just a couple of 120mm fan grills and a load of holes for air out.

or bolted to the underside of the desk :)

Nox

Last edited:
Reactions: dtallon13

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That would be interesting ! Combined with this, it offers some nice options. Except if you have a monitor with a recessed VESA mount, which seemingly many seem to have.

Reactions: dtallon13

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Hmm, maybe I should add Vesa mounts to the eGPU case?

You know that would make a lot of sense. When you want to use an e-GPU you're not going to be mobile, you'll be at a desk with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. What about a monitor with a dual width expansion slot built into it, and you use a single thunderbolt cable to connect the monitor + graphics card combo to a computer. Or daisy chain the monitor and e-GPU so that you only have a single TB cable going between the combo and a computer.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
As long as the case has a standard VESA hole spacing, you can use any of the many 'quick release' adapter plates available for mounting.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, I could just put the holes on the back side. Kinda ugly since they'd be exposed, but I guess mounting it to the monitor does make a lot of sense for the use case.