An eGPU dock that's actually SFF (name TBD)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sure, we could do a more traditional vent pattern that could be used for mounting fans.

Though where would you put them? On the side there isn't room unless you do a single-slot card or a particularly short card, and on the top it'd be 60mm fans at most.

Reactions: ricochet

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Absolutely, I think it'd be neat if the vents had an interesting pattern. But they have to provide good cooling first and foremost.

Also, I should be streaming Saturday at 3:00pm Central.

And I'll be sure to upload the last stream to YouTube tomorrow. I'm forgetful about that so feel free to remind me if any of you missed the stream and is impatient to watch it :p

Reactions: ricochet and Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Though where would you put them? On the side there isn't room unless you do a single-slot card or a particularly short card, and on the top it'd be 60mm fans at most.

I think if you could replace stock fans with 140mm ones, that could be pretty neat, though I'm not sure how much it would change actual performance.

Reactions: ricochet

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Quick and messy sketch in illustrator, but you get the idea ;)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I wonder if using different hole drills and just round perforations, one might even mimick the look of the shading on the cubes.

Reactions: ricochet and EdZ

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Q*bert yet:

By the way, I got the idea from a bathroom tile I found compelling, because it features seemingly identical trapezoids which I didn't realize can form a 3D cube:

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Archive for eGPU ep3 here:

And I plan to do a live stream tomorrow, starting at 3:00pm Central (click here to see in your local time zone).

Reactions: Runamok81

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

So here's what we came up with for the vents as of today's stream.

One suggestion form @Runamok81 that I've yet to implement is fan holes for 120mm fans. With the intent of being able to mount dust filters to them, but on inspection it looks like there's possibly room to mount a 120mm rad for water cooling the video card when an external AC-DC brick is used.

The problem is that offsetting the fan holes far enough forward to make that possible means they're not really positioned correctly to use them as dust filters.

Thoughts?