An eGPU dock that's actually SFF (name TBD)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
don't forget to snap some high resolution photos of the InXTron board inside. I belive @Steph was looking for those?

Hehehe, I meant to take only 2-3 pictures but got carried away and have about 20-30 of the whole thing instead.

I have the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac coming in for review so I'll just go ahead and do a review of the AKiTiO as well.

Reactions: cmyk78

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sorry for the late notice, I wasn't sure of my schedule until now. But I'll be doing a short stream starting at 4:00pm Central (click here to see in your local time zone).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I need to upload the last episode (oops, forgot to) then encode and upload this one

TTheuns

Efficiency Noob
Jan 29, 2017
I'm happy to see that enough people are bothered by the size to start a project like this. I've only recently gotten into SFF and ended up wanting to go for the (controversial) eGPU + Skull Canyon NUC setup. The problem was that the eGPU docks out are about as big as an SFF case which is ridiculous. (Like the Razer Core vs DAN A4-SFX)

I'll be following this thread closely, in fact I signed up just to follow this thread.

Reactions: jeshikat

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, the case looks like it'll be around 4L at this point. Not quite as small as I hoped it would but still much smaller than any other dock.

Reactions: ricochet

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
Is there any chance of desoldering the PCI socket from the Aiki..whatever PCB to replace it with a smaller socket?

Or just straight up take out the dev board (cause apparently it's cheaper to buy the enclosures then it is to buy the dev board?) and do a custom PCB for the PCI slot? Then you could have a standard "vertical" PCI socket. How difficult is it to design for PCI? Given that risers are a thing I'm going to assume that timings aren't too important?

The AD-DC lines up with the GPU thickness so incredibly well that it'd be a shame to waste so much space just to re-use the (not-so-complicated-looking) secodary PCB

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Given that risers are a thing I'm going to assume that timings aren't too important?
Timings are critical, but it's the relative timings between pairs that are important. Increasing total length while keeping all traces the same length makes you vulnerable to interference and eventually resistive losses (managed by using shielded risers and limiting total length and number of connectors in the chain), but if you fail to keep the path length the same for all lanes then the link won;t work at all. Custom PCIe risers can be designed, but it's not a simple as just linking the right pins together.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This is already shaping up to be an expensive enough setup as it is, a custom PCB on top of it would be too much I think.

And any suggestions on the vent pattern? The side and top would be vented.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any other suggestions? Here's what we came up with in the live stream but we agreed that maybe some other pattern would be better.

This is just a partial pattern, the vent will need to cover most of the side.

Reactions: ricochet